The greatness of Star Wars
Quote:Yeah, I didn't like the Anakin kid in there either. I liked the Pod Racing sequence though.

It wasn't just Anakin either...it was the fact that the fun, exciting story of the original trilogy was traded in for an overly political story whose opening crawl sounded like it came out of a history textbook.
Quote:I think The Phantom Menace had problems that reached far beyond Jar Jar. Tongue

Agreed. But it also had virtues that reached far beyond the pod racing sequence.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Quote:I think we all agree that TESB was the best of the six.

Yup.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Quote:It wasn't just Anakin either...it was the fact that the fun, exciting story of the original trilogy was traded in for an overly political story whose opening crawl sounded like it came out of a history textbook.

...it's more George Lucas's inability to write convincing political drama that sunk the story, rather than some inherent problem in marrying politics to Star Wars.

Go to Youtube and watch the trailer for Ep. 1 again. Doesn't it seem like it could be the best film of them all? Seriously. When you watch it, try to forget what actually happened. Let your imagination fill in the blanks. It seems utterly incredible.

(Of course, then you go to see the actual film, and it's filled with ROTJ-like cartoonish "fights," midichlorians, and a pompous Jedi council that makes you root for the Sith.)
Considering that the trailer has Jar Jar in it, I don't know...Slight smile But you're right.
...well, in the trailer, we don't see any of Jar-Jar's annoying antics. If you'd never seen TPM you'd barely notice him at all, and if you did, you'd assume that he was a C-3PO-like figure: a bit annoying, perhaps, but also entertaining and central to the story.

Now here's a question: is it possible to create a trailer for Return Of The Jedi that's as impressive as the TPM trailer?
Most definitely. Slight smile
Quote:...well, in the trailer, we don't see any of Jar-Jar's annoying antics. If you'd never seen TPM you'd barely notice him at all, and if you did, you'd assume that he was a C-3PO-like figure: a bit annoying, perhaps, but also entertaining and central to the story.

Now here's a question: is it possible to create a trailer for Return Of The Jedi that's as impressive as the TPM trailer?

Trailers aren't everything though. Avatar's trailer looked amazing, but the movie wasn't that good. Weirdly enough, the sequels looked better than the prequels on Blu-Ray. Confused
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
I think it'll almost always be possible to create amazing-looking trailers, but amazing movies are a completely different story.
Am I the only one here who doesn't like any of the movies? Alright, A New Hope was fun, but the rest of them were just not intresting to me.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!