Long levels in CCLP1
What do you think of having long levels (Levels over 5 minutes long) in CCLP1? I think it's ok to have a few, since the original Chip's Challenge had about 10 of them. Is it better to be a big puzzle or a level which has lots of puzzles, is long, and can be messed up really easily? What's your opinion on this?
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
I say that we shouldn't have levels that have too many different puzzles, except maybe at the very end of the set. But a long level with one idea or puzzle would be fine in my opinion, such as another 'Pain' type level, only not that long.
<p>Proud owner of absolutely no untied bolds.
I think they are OK later on in the set, but earlier on things should be more failsafe, for example by having extra blocks (Seeing Stars), or simply few ways to screw (for example Monster Lab has infinite blocks available).
Long levels really aren't a good idea for CCLP1, whether it be one puzzle or many puzzles. With one puzzle, the level gets monotonous, like in On the Rocks or Pain. With many puzzles, the level gets too difficult and unforgiving (for CCLP1), like in Everybody Get Dangerous or Avalanche. But, like Trevor said, a long level with variety that gives a lot of leeway could work, it just hasn't been seen much before.
You should probably be playing CC2LP1.

Or go to the Chip's Challenge Wiki.
We also do need variety though... and one or two long levels later in the set wouldn't necessarily hurt, unless of course the level(s) are too hard, but we can filter that. And again, later in the set, new players will have the hang of the game, and won't need piece-of-cake levels the entire time.
It's alright to me. Long =/= Hard.
Hello'v'ryone's'is' rockdet Ænigma Mælström (any word with æ because it's funny), master of non sequitur buckets!
My YouTube Channel
Rock-Alpha(It's a great game, Bill) 65 levels, including "Voices" and the world-infamous famous "Bloblake"!
Rock-Beta (You should try it, Bill) 50 levels, including "Unicorn Rabbit" and "The Sedna Suite" odyssey!
Rock-Gamma (Woah, really, Bill?!) 40 levels, including "Uncle duo ha ha ha ha ha" and many other surprises and what the actual f*** moments!
Teeth "We are after all in the future, where the past is king and the paste is ming." -raocow
Quote:It's alright to me. Long =/= Hard.

What about the ones in CCLP3 that were super long and hard? Tongue
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
Then they were both, but one doesn't imply the other.
Hello'v'ryone's'is' rockdet Ænigma Mælström (any word with æ because it's funny), master of non sequitur buckets!
My YouTube Channel
Rock-Alpha(It's a great game, Bill) 65 levels, including "Voices" and the world-infamous famous "Bloblake"!
Rock-Beta (You should try it, Bill) 50 levels, including "Unicorn Rabbit" and "The Sedna Suite" odyssey!
Rock-Gamma (Woah, really, Bill?!) 40 levels, including "Uncle duo ha ha ha ha ha" and many other surprises and what the actual f*** moments!
Teeth "We are after all in the future, where the past is king and the paste is ming." -raocow
The thing about long levels is that if they get boring (coughcoughontherockscoughcough) they are bad, whereas if they keep their fun value throughout, they are much more fun to play. I have quite a few easy but very long levels in my set, but each room has a different challenge which keeps things interesting.
Quote:The thing about long levels is that if they get boring (coughcoughontherockscoughcough) they are bad, whereas if they keep their fun value throughout, they are much more fun to play. I have quite a few easy but very long levels in my set, but each room has a different challenge which keeps things interesting.
But multiple puzzles and challenges in one level might be too hard for a beginner, especially if one or more parts consists of something mildly difficult to beat. Ergo, A not too long, one or two idea level would be fine for the set IMO.