February 2019 Create Competition - Walls of CC2
In the beginning Chuck created the Chip's Challenge. Now the game has come to us in many forms and we've filled many empty levels with tiles. Then Chuck said "Let there be Chip's Challenge 2". Chuck saw that the game had fans, so it was eventually released to us on Steam. There was the newsgroup and there was CC Zone — the places for all your CC needs.

One of those needs is the need for a Walls of competition in February. This year it's time to explore the levels of CC2 through this lense.
Your task is to pick a level from CC2 and use its arrangement of walls to create a new level. You can pick any level from the range #1-#200, then delete anything you want except for any walls, and finally rebuild it into a new level. If you wish, you can also pick another prominent tile in the level and replace it with some other tile exactly.

Not all the levels in the set are ideal candidates for this exercise, but with more levels than the other sets we've used, there should still be plenty of choices available for your ideas. I also realize that there are more types of walls in CC2 than there are in CC1, so you can use your own judgement on what to count as a wall. Random 8 is working on a template set for your convenience, so a large thank you in that direction!

Some basic notes:
  • Make a level or two for playing in CC2 from the walls of one of the levels in CC2.

• Send in your submissions to me at valeosote at hotmail dot com

• The deadline for the competition is March 3rd where you live.

• The entries will be judged by chipster1059. THANKS!

If you are so inspired, you can also make a CC1 level from the walls, but these levels might not be ranked in the competition.

If you have any questions, speak boldly!

Enjoy!

-Miika

Some technical notes:

[Click to Show Content]
CC Zone File embed: https://cczone.invisionzone.com/files/fi.../?do=embed

Deciding which tiles to keep is such a headache, and i feel like these sets keep getting harder in that regard. This is probably the last one i'll do.
CCMiniLP, my CCLP1 submissions. Outdated, not recommended.
CCSignificantlyLargerLP, my CCLP4 submissions. More current than my main set.
Consistent Inconsistency (ongoing), my main CC1 custom set. (discussion)
RyanJ1.dat (ongoing), my main CC2 custom set. (discussion)
Mystery Project (unfinished) (previews)

YouTube | Twitch | Steam
Results time!

CC Zone File embed: https://forum.bitbusters.club/thread-440.html

There have been a total of five entries from four designers. The ZIP file contains all five entries, the CC1 version of Miika's entry, and a CCS file for use in CCCreator.

First off, allow me to say that PUTTING SEVERAL SPOILERS IN A SINGLE POST IS A REAL PAIN IN THE Teeth Migration to another software when?

Unranked

[Click to Show Content]

4th place

[Click to Show Content]

3rd place

[Click to Show Content]

2nd place

[Click to Show Content]

WINNER Chip Win

[Click to Show Content]
CC is awesome!

CC2 sets (still being updated): C1059-CC2 --- Walls of CC2

CC1 sets (all complete): C1059-2 --- C1059-1 --- 1059PG01 --- C1059-Christmas --- C1059-INSANITY --- C1059-CCLP4

My Youtube channel --- Fiver's Honeycomb --- Fanfiction.net

Good posts don't cost too much, yet many go unwritten.
Nice to see the results! (I must say, any delays in them were due to me and not Chipster!)

I didn't solve the other levels as they used a lot of the fancy CC2 stuff and were too complicated for me.

I do want to reply about my own entry though. I didn't know it mattered where I wrote the short comment. I made the level for three rule sets, so it was simplest to keep it in the hint field. The hint text is also a bit of a misdirect, as the puzzle aspect also applies to the upper area of the level. Or at least that was the idea, which didn't really work out. I was hoping that if the dodging in the upper area was too difficult, you could alter the tank movements in such a way that visiting the top area more than once made it easier. Maybe this works in MS but not really in Lynx or CC2. Had this not been a "walls of" creation, I would definitely have made the upper area also have a simpler way to solve it with maybe some more safe spots. Removing that one horizontally moving tank (on the fifth row) was something I considered, but doing so just took away all the stuff I found interesting in that area, so I left it in. In hind sight, I should have removed the one that was on the third row (or even pointed it in the other direction, giving the player a better visual queue based on the lower tank).

I didn't add any bonus flags either, because I believe not every CC2 level needs to have them. I did experiment with them in the upper area of the level, but decided against them for compatibility with CC1. Perhaps overall my mistake was to even try making such a level. When one tank movement worked nicely in one rule set, the collisions in another rendered it different or even unsolvable.

Thanks for the feedback and the judging!

A big thanks to Ryan for making all these template sets! It does sound like it wasn't always a small task, but they really did help out! I know I was inspired by going through your set, not the original.
Quote:Quote

some pointless speed boots...the level also uses a LOT of coloured walls for no reason...the yellow room suffers from these extra walls the most, with almost half of the playing area eliminated by these walls.

I saw that as no different than filling a CC1 walls of level with other acting walls- especially as, given the choice between frame block-> colored floor or colored wall, the wall looked nicer. And really, aesthetic variety was the entire reason why the walls, canopies and, speed boots were added, in addition to the uncommented on monsters on walls! Tongue

I think that for a future Walls of CC2(LP1) Create, should it happen, there should be some sort of stricter definition for what a wall is and by extension, what you must leave and what you can remove. That, and for wall-less levels leaving something of the original intact in some way, because without that it's just a level that happens to lack walls- and as H2O's level shows, in CC2 it's not that hard to make a level without walls given how many tiles can act as walls in some circumstances.

Anyway, some thoughts on the other levels... I think Miika's is really clever for how it uses the walls, even if the level itself is "ordinary". H2O's is a terrible walls of level (leaving the force floors behind would have allowed something interesting, I think) but a pretty neat level on the whole, which is a funny opposite to Miika's entry. I think Tyler probably should have won on both use of walls and best level, but I guess I'll take the win for... having the best bonus? Tongue
My CC1 levelsets: (25, 150, 149, 149, 149, 149, 60, 149, 43, +2 = 1025 total)
25 levels.dat | Ultimate Chip.dat | Ultimate Chip 2.ccl | Ultimate Chip 3.dac | Ultimate Chip 4.zip | Ultimate Chip 5 | Ultimate Chip 6 Walls of CCLP4 i^e
IHNN-Ultimate: 147 of my best levels (through UC5), plus 2 entirely new ones. May be overhauled soon.

My CC2 levelsets: (100, ???)
IHNN1 | IHNN2

My CC score tracker. Has lots of cool automated features!
Twitch | Youtube | Twitter
Quote:On 3/15/2019 at 2:10 AM, M11k4 said:

I didn't add any bonus flags either, because I believe not every CC2 level needs to have them.

I agree with that. Sometimes, bonus flags don't add much to the overall gameplay experience and/or the level would be better off without them. Like in H2O's level, the flags aren't bad, but they don't add much either. But you say that you experimented with them, and honestly, it would have been really interesting to see how the level would have turned out with them, even if it broke CC1 compatibility.

Quote:On 3/15/2019 at 2:10 AM, M11k4 said:

Perhaps overall my mistake was to even try making such a level. When one tank movement worked nicely in one rule set, the collisions in another rendered it different or even unsolvable.

Making a level compatible with all three rulesets is really hard, especially if tanks are involved. I vaguely remember some CC1 tank levels that had an elaborate off-screen mechanism to ensure that the tanks moved the exact same way in Lynx and MS. Sadly, such a mechanism here would have required expanding the map for the CC2 version, which wasn't an option.

Regarding Jeffrey's commments, aesthetics can be really difficult to handle. If you can make a fun level that looks good, that's great. But sometimes, making the level look good gets in the way of fun, and I'm afraid the unranked entry is a prime example of this. Not sure why I didn't mention those monsters on walls, though. I used to have something written about them in an earlier draft, but for some reason I edited it out. In the end, most of them are nice (the red teeth is especially clever), but the blue teeth is quite annoying because of the custom walls that were added to keep it contained. Which brings us to:

Quote:On 3/15/2019 at 6:18 PM, Ihavenoname248 said:

I think that for a future Walls of CC2(LP1) Create, should it happen, there should be some sort of stricter definition for what a wall is and by extension, what you must leave and what you can remove.

Yes, that would probably be a great idea. In CC1, it's mostly straightforward, keep the walls and remove everything else. But CC2 adds so many types of walls, which makes things much more complicated and not everyone will agree. For example, walls of "Globs", do you keep those pink walls or just those four "regular" walls? And if you end up keeping only the pink walls, could you add some "regular" walls elsewhere? If there were clearer rules, this would have solved the issues I mentioned for three of the five entries.

Also, regarding Tyler's entry...honestly, I don't know how things would have turned out if it weren't for that bust. I remember some entries in past contents that lost partly because of such busts, which can be pretty annoying since the level is otherwise very fun. Here, it probably would have been ranked at least 2nd, but I don't know if I would have given it 1st. It's all speculation Blob
CC is awesome!

CC2 sets (still being updated): C1059-CC2 --- Walls of CC2

CC1 sets (all complete): C1059-2 --- C1059-1 --- 1059PG01 --- C1059-Christmas --- C1059-INSANITY --- C1059-CCLP4

My Youtube channel --- Fiver's Honeycomb --- Fanfiction.net

Good posts don't cost too much, yet many go unwritten.