February 2018 Time Trial
Most times scoring the best time on a level is about understanding the how the Exit is reached most efficiently. Other times it can be about the execution of a planned route or reacting to elements in the game that aren't always the same. This competition is about one of those latter times.

Now, not everyone enjoys random elements in a speed running environment, so don't take this one too seriously. I know some of us can obsess about scoring the perfect run, but for your own sake, just play these levels only for as long as you enjoy them.

The first level has some random force floors. The second level has some blobs. Thanks to Jeffrey for making these for us. You can find them as levels #107 and #108 in the updated CCZoneTT.dat:

CC Zone File embed: https://cczone.invisionzone.com/files/fi.../?do=embed

A few quick things before I let you go:
  • Deadline for the competition is March 4th where you live.

• Please send your submissions (tws or avi) to me at valeosote at hotmail dot com.

• The competition is in MS mode, but you can send in Lynx solutions as well.

Enjoy!

-Miika

Technicalities:

[Click to Show Content]
Results!

I'm working on getting the replays of the solutions for your viewing pleasure, but as I already compiled these results, I thought I'd post them already.

Code:
1. Ihavenoname24815pts 373+251= 624
2. M11k412pts 369+253= 622 (344+240=584 LX)
3. Bacorn10pts 374+246= 620
4. rubenspaans 8pts 364+244= 608 LX
5. chipster1059 7pts 348+202= 550

Congrats to Jeffrey for the win! I believe this is the first time someone wins a Time Trial without actually scoring a bold on any level Slight smile That might sound worse than it is, because it just needs the right circumstances to happen. We often are pretty lucky not to have many ties in the scores, but this time with the randomness involved that was expected more than usual. (Of course avoiding ties is not a requirement for this to happen, but it does help.) Once there are no ties, all it requires is that someone (Jeffrey) has two good scores that fall just short of what others did, and it needs at least two others to beat those good scores but on different levels. Well done to Bacorn for the best score on the first level! For my score on the second one, I was sure someone would beat it because if this was a level in a CCLPn, I feel 257 would be scored by several people (at least eventually). Well done also to Ruben for crushing my Lynx scores, and thanks to Chipster for sending in more casual solutions.

Thanks to Jeffrey also for providing the levels. They were actually more fun to play than one might think at first inspection. The blob level is one of my favorite blob levels ever! It combines several types of blob challenges in the right sizes and even provides some chances for using smart strategies to pick the order in which to visit the rooms. Both levels actually ended up having small tricks to them to score the best times (so it wasn't all just luck), which is always a nice thing to see.

We'll have a new Time Trial starting up pretty soon, so keep your eyes open for it Slight smile

(And if someone wants to make levels for a CC2 competition, that would be welcome as well!)

-Miika
I had a couple of 375-376 paced runs on the first level die to the block, and just never felt like pushing for just a little more time.

With the blob level, well, I just wanted to complete it with a solid time, so I grinded for the start and then kept that for my submission (250) and then later got an extra second with a few extra tactics.

I'm very glad to hear that Sludge Report was enjoyed! It helps that I stole concepts from every past official set, but I also spent a lot of time tweaking each area to make sure it was reasonable Slight smile
My CC1 levelsets: (25, 150, 149, 149, 149, 149, 60, 149, 43, +2 = 1025 total)
25 levels.dat | Ultimate Chip.dat | Ultimate Chip 2.ccl | Ultimate Chip 3.dac | Ultimate Chip 4.zip | Ultimate Chip 5 | Ultimate Chip 6 Walls of CCLP4 i^e
IHNN-Ultimate: 147 of my best levels (through UC5), plus 2 entirely new ones. May be overhauled soon.

My CC2 levelsets: (100, ???)
IHNN1 | IHNN2

My CC score tracker. Has lots of cool automated features!
Twitch | Youtube | Twitter