Chip's Challenge Creator
The initial coding is sufficiently finished that I am finally ready to announce my new project: Chip's Challenge Creator (working title), the first unified editor for both Tile World and CC2, with script editing!

Below is a screenshot clip demonstrating my code's ability to load a familiar CC2 level and display it using the CC2 tileset:

[Click to Show Content]

The plan is to write the first version in Java, for ease and speed of development. The Java program should work on most people's systems, and I hope later to port the program to C++ for more power and versatility.

Below is a list of the planned features for the editor. I invite everyone to look over the list, and reply with any requests for additions or modifications.

[Click to Show Content]

With the heavy coding out of the way, I may have the project finished in a month or two. Hopefully the community will find it useful for creating the next generation of awesome Chip's Challenge levels! Chip Win
Can't wait to see it! Thanks for working on this.
My CC1 custom levelset, JoshuaBoneLP.dat
My 'Walls of CC1' custom levelset for CC2, JBoneWOCC.zip, containing levels based on the first 28 levels of CC1.
My CC2 misfit levels, JBoneMisfits.zip, containing 4 levels that didn't fit anywhere else.
Designer totals:
15 levels in CCLP3
52 levels in CC2
Public Apology: I'm very, very sorry about HAUNTED CASTLE, ANTARCTICA, and the endings on VENICE and THINKTANK.
Here's a preview of how the editor GUI will look. Obviously it's a work-in-progress, especially the map view, but this gives an idea of the general plan, if anyone's interested. Slight smile

Screen cap with the Levels tab in front:

[Click to Show Content]

Screen cap with the Elements tab in front:

[Click to Show Content]

Note that the icons are only placeholders. I could use a set of good-quality icons, if anyone would like to draw them or point me to a free online source. Slight smile
Well, I would have liked to have been able to release the editor for Christmas. Slight smile Sadly, there have been unforeseen delays. Just want to let you all know that I'm still working hard on it, and may be able to release as early as sometime in January.

In the meantime, here's another screen cap demonstrating ways to use the tools that I've coded so far, as well as showing what the window looks like at a different size from that shown above.

[Click to Show Content]

By the way, I'm still interested in getting some help with the icons. Development will be much faster if I don't have to draw them all myself. Wink
Quote:By the way, I'm still interested in getting some help with the icons. Development will be much faster if I don't have to draw them all myself. Wink

Copy them from CCEdit. Teeth
CCMiniLP, my CCLP1 submissions. Outdated, not recommended.
CCSignificantlyLargerLP, my CCLP4 submissions. More current than my main set.
Consistent Inconsistency (ongoing), my main CC1 custom set. (discussion)
RyanJ1.dat (ongoing), my main CC2 custom set. (discussion)
Mystery Project (unfinished) (previews)

YouTube | Twitch | Steam
Quote:Copy them from CCEdit. Teeth

First of all, I don't want CC Creator to look like a CCEdit ripoff. Tongue

Secondly, CCEdit doesn't have icons for all of the features that CC Creator has.
nice nice nice!!!

I didn't see this but might have missed it;

a copy/cut/paste level feature would be nice, the kind which the old old, CCEdit had (or something similar)

also what's your stance on invalid tile combinations? For example placing a no symbol without items allowing new (unintended) behavior. Will this kind of thing be possible in this editor?
my CC2 sets: Mobi's Challenge (166 levels)
Walls of CCLP2 (V2) presently: ~50 levels

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakwin Rinzai

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
-'The Dude' Lebowski
Quote:a copy/cut/paste level feature would be nice, the kind which the old old, CCEdit had (or something similar)

All the CC1 editors have this feature, and CC Creator will be no exception.

Quote:also what's your stance on invalid tile combinations? For example placing a no symbol without items allowing new (unintended) behavior. Will this kind of thing be possible in this editor?

My general plan is that with some advanced editing, you can produce any kind of invalid combination you please.

However, elements like the forbidden sign and directionless frame blocks will be freely placeable by default. I see no reason to limit the kinds of puzzles you can make using them. Slight smile

In contrast, elements like clone machines with multiple directions, while possible, are completely useless, so you'll need to do advanced editing to place such elements (if you really want them).
Just finished coding the systems to import levels from both C2M and CCL files! As a demo, I imported the first level of each of CC1 (Steam version), CC2, CCLP1, CCLP2, and CCLP3 into a single project and took screenshots. Since the images are large (the editor window is maximized), check them out on Imgur: http://imgur.com/a/Jm0dn.

There's still a ways to go; but I would estimate at this point more than 3/4 of the heavy work is now finished. Slight smile
Thumbs upLaughing sweet

I like the fact that you can see/set how many chips are required; a feature missing from the CC2 editor
my CC2 sets: Mobi's Challenge (166 levels)
Walls of CCLP2 (V2) presently: ~50 levels

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakwin Rinzai

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
-'The Dude' Lebowski