Revamping my level set pages
This is something that I have been thinking about doing for years and am finally getting around to...I decided to enter the 21st (or maybe late 20th) century and port my level set database from a VB6 program that generates HTML pages to a PHP/MySQL backend. All the levelset and level data has now been transferred and is up and running. As it stands now, everything should basically look exactly the same as it did before...so if you see anything that doesn't, let me know:

http://www.pillowpc2001.net/levels/index.php

In the coming months (weeks? days? wishful thinking maybe...) I hope to add some things that will really take advantage of everything being stored in a SQL database now, such as:
  • Create user accounts
  • Option to log in and add/update your own sets
  • Option to add level titles and whether they are solvable in MS or Lynx
  • Search for a level/set
  • Add a CC2 level set section (not really related to SQL, I had already built this functionality into my VB6 program, but this is something I'll probably get up and running now)
I'm open to any other suggestions as well...

Oh yeah, and there is one new minor feature already added...you can now sort each category of the main level set list by either ascending or descending...not incredibly exciting, considering pie guy's site has been doing this for 10+ years Tongue
Mike L

My level sets:
MikeL2 - 200 levels, updated 1/22/2017
MikeL2-fix - Lynx compatible version of MikeL2
MikeL3 - 86 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - a best-of set with levels from MikeL2, MikeL4 or my now-hidden rejects set
MikeL4 - 27 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - home of any new post-2009 levels I make
MikeLrejects - 351 levels, updated 5/16/2013 - all my older/experimental/not as good levels
Looks good!
Quote:In the coming months (weeks? days? wishful thinking maybe...) I hope to add some things that will really take advantage of everything being stored in a SQL database now, such as:
  • Create user accounts
  • Option to log in and add/update your own sets
  • Option to add level titles and whether they are solvable in MS or Lynx
  • Search for a level/set
  • Add a CC2 level set section (not really related to SQL, I had already built this functionality into my VB6 program, but this is something I'll probably get up and running now)

Looks like the answer there was "months"...

As of today, the first 4 of the above options are now available - you can now create an account at my site, add new sets, and update existing ones. The search option has also been around for a while now and apparently I never posted that here... Hopefully everything is self-explanatory enough - if it isn't or you run into any problems, let me know.

The to-do list (so probably another couple months until they actually get done...)
  • Add option to import a level set title list from cclpinfo (or if I'm feeling really ambitious, learn about the DAT format and import right from the DAT file)
  • Add CC2 set listing
  • Add option to reset password (if anyone wants this functionality)
  • Add automated scoreboard for MikeL2/MikeL3/MikeL4, and have scores be applied to all sets for levels that appear in more than one of them (this future option is why you see a "name to appear on scoreboard" option in the account setup)
Mike L

My level sets:
MikeL3 - 86 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - a best-of set with levels from MikeL2, MikeL4 or my now-hidden rejects set
MikeLrejects - 351 levels, updated 5/16/2013 - all my older/experimental/not as good levels
Wow this update is pretty amazing Slight smile Some special characters don't seem to display properly, but this should be fixable by adding the line $conn->set_charset('utf8mb4'); after you open a new MySQL connection. I'm also curious about the kind of scheme you're using to store user passwords... hopefully it's secure, but I played it safe and came up with with a new password just for your site Smiley
You should probably be playing CC2LP1.

Or go to the Chip's Challenge Wiki.
I went ahead and did the same and I agree it is pretty awesome. Slight smile I also updated info for my levelset, JoshL6 by adding all the level titles and their solvability in both rulesets. I came across a problem after this was done, where the first four levels on the top of the list aren't in order.

Here's an image of how it looks:

[Image: 9UJfL4n.png]

I'm not sure how to fix this or if this is just some coding error? All the other levels are listed in the correct order.
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Thanks guys! Thumbs up

Ah I didn't realize there were some characters not showing up right...I just added a line setting the character set on each page and looks like that fixed the issue. Thanks for the tip!

Not sure how that happened Josh...somehow I guess the rows didn't get inserted in numerical order apparently...but in either case, I updated this to make sure it always displays the list in order by level number so this shouldn't happen again. Good catch!

As far as the password scheme, I'm just using the default PHP password hash...not sure if there's a better more secure way or not, I went with a new password myself Tongue
Mike L

My level sets:
As of today, automatic score reporting is now finally available at my site for MikeL2 in MS mode, MikeL2-fix in Lynx, and MikeL3 and MikeL4 in both modes. The existing scores are still in place for the MikeL2 MS board. Anyone who has already made an account at my site and has previously reported MikeL2 scores, I have linked your login to your existing scores. If anyone else that has reported scores for MikeL2 and would like to create an account, let me know so I can make sure your old scores get linked to your new account.

I have linked the "duplicate" levels across sets, so that if you report a score on a MikeL2 level that also happens to be in MikeL3, your score will count on the MikeL3 board as well. Even if the time limits differ, as long as the levels are otherwise virtually identical, the time will still count and be adjusted accordingly.

If you run into any issues with anything, let me know.

http://www.pillowpc2001.net/mylevels

OK now I need to get back to CCLP4 Tongue
Mike L

My level sets:
Another bump to this topic...

I have now added the CC2 level set section to my site. It is horribly out of date, so I would appreciate any and all help in getting it up to date. Slight smile

http://pillowpc2001.net/levels/index.php?set=2

I eventually plan on correcting the solvability tables...right now they still look like the CC1 table and show/save a column for MS and Lynx. I have a note to ignore this for now and just use the MS column for submitting solvability, but hopefully this will be fixed soon.
Mike L

My level sets:
Glad to see this addition Smiley Be aware that Flareon1 is no longer online. I assume you're the only one who is about to hide level sets.
You should probably be playing CC2LP1.

Or go to the Chip's Challenge Wiki.
Quote:On 3/23/2018 at 4:41 PM, quiznos00 said:

Glad to see this addition Smiley Be aware that Flareon1 is no longer online. I assume you're the only one who is about to hide level sets.

Yeah at this point the only way to delete a set is actually to take it out of the database, so I only leave that to me Tongue I'll delete it.

Thanks to everyone who has been updating the information! I noticed as I was looking at the pages, there appears to be some strange bug where no matter who edits a set, it is often showing me as the one to last modify it... I'll have to look into that.

edit - Apparently all new sets were getting saved with me as the editor... This has been fixed now for future new sets, but the other ones were still saved incorrectly.
Mike L

My level sets: