Cobalt Pack - Discussion
This is the official discussion thread for CCLP4 voting's Cobalt Pack. Feel free to share your thoughts, opinions, and comments on the levels here!
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
I'll be first to leave some feedback on the levels from this pack because this pack was pretty great! Probably my favorite one so far so there's quite a lot I have to say about this pack compared to the rest currently released. Slight smile

2. Moving and Unmoving

Cool concept, never seen it done before so I'll give this level that much credibly. However, it wasn't much fun to play and just felt tedious so it's not a strong from me unfortunately. Plus was that bug really necessary? It was just a nuisance.

8. Chasing Chips

I've always appreciated levels reminiscent to HUNT from the original CC1 game and this one is no exception. With the addition of the cleverly designed corner "chase" sections, just made the level feel different and was ultimately more fun. It's not a super strong pick for CCLP4 from me but I still wouldn't mind if this made it in.

10. Chillblains

This is another level in my personal top 10 list of levels I want to see in CCLP4. Contrary to popular opinion, it's designed so well and I personally always have fun playing this, even if I die stupidly tons of times. I never got bored or frustrated playing this and I really hope this does well in the voting. I can easily see this somewhere in the 70s of the final set, though if it's in CCLP4, good luck MS optimizers. Wink

20. Incendia Castle

You know, I really want to like this level but there's just something about it that makes me dislike it. I can't determine what that is though. The level is designed well in most areas and it's not extremely difficult. I think it just felt more rigid than it was intended, especially with the time limit.

26. What is This? A Center for Ants?

Even though the title of this level is silly, I honestly had fun with this one. It kind of reminded me of Paramecium Palace from CCLP1 in a way, but it's much different than that level. All the rooms holding individual small challenges that remained distinct from each other made this level enjoyable Slight smile definitely a stronger choice for the final set than what I originally thought. Thumbs up

29. Internally Inconsistent

A fun sokoban level and after playing it, I definitely have a stronger feel for this one. Every room is laid out the same way yet each took different approaches to solve them which was incredible. I really wouldn't mind seeing this in CCLP4.

32. The Incredible Flaming Teleporting Butler

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of this level. The concept is cool and the title is funny but the level itelf is unnecessarily cramped and too tight for my liking. If this level was designed a bit bigger, it would have be a slightly stronger candidate.

34. Claustrophobic

I've seen a few levels with this type of design already and this one took quite a while to solve and solving it was definitely satisfying. Compared to the other similiar levels like this, I like this one a lot and I wouldn't mind seeing it in the final set.

45. The Longest Track

This level. I seriously underestimated this level for the longest time (no pun intended) and this was a blast to finally figure out. I'm not sure why there are chips that aren't counted for or why there are suction boots but those don't matter to my opinion of this level. It's a tough puzzle to crack and I really hope to see this in CCLP4.

Favorite level: Jungle Fever (31) / The Longest Track (45)

Least favorite level: Thoughts (43)
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

I really enjoyed this pack. It started off a bit shaky for me, but then it kept building in quality gradually until it hit an amazing streak of levels at the very end. Some thoughts:

#2 (Moving and Unmoving): This is a classic example of an amazing concept that sadly gets muddled by unnecessary tedium. I love the idea of switching the button presses, but a couple of things happened that lowered the quality of the level for me: [a] the control mechanism is located in a spot that you have to revisit over and over again, and you really do have to revisit entire areas over and over again if you're playing this for the first time and can't keep track of what's where in the midst of all the itemswapping. Plus, the tank stopping is really frustrating to time in Lynx, which is exasperated by having to repeat it multiple times.

<strong>#10 (Chillblains):</strong> I enjoy the general feel of this maze. It's got some great dead ends and red herrings - it just needed a bit more in the aesthetics department. Maybe some gravel.

<strong>#14 (In a Nutshell):</strong> This is one of those levels that was awkward to play in CCLP1 voting, as it felt too hard for where it was trying to position itself in a set. I could totally see this in CCLP4, though. Maybe not as level 1, but certainly as a "remember how this works?" variety challenge following some simple levels. I appreciate how the one major "gotcha!" moment is at the start.

<strong>#16 (Nectar Meadow): </strong>One of my major contentions with a lot of campaign-style levels is that designers can easily fall into the trap of trying to cram in as many game elements as possible without any particular theme or aesthetic threading them together. There are some levels in which there's a mechanism that ties the structure of the level together, but the challenges themselves are just bland. (#5 in this pack is a good example.) This level, though, is a blast all around. Part of the reason it works so well is that it was built for a Create Competition in which the tile palette was limited. The colors of the tiles used mesh together in a way that feels very fresh. But even beyond aesthetics, the gameplay itself just flows beautifully. You never feel like the level is trying to be cheap, and the socket / green door aesthetic helps with making sure you watch your step and pay attention to your surroundings.

<strong>#17 (Hypnosis):</strong> I've said my peace on "you have to do the same thing four times" levels enough at this point.

<strong>#31 (Jungle Fever): </strong>When I designed this maze, my original prompt was "make something that would be as interesting to navigate as Frozen Labyrinth." I don't know if I succeeded on that count entirely, but I still enjoy playing this level and would love to see it in the final set.

<strong>#35 (...And Then There's This Level):</strong> This level just came right out of nowhere for me and really served up a challenge. What I really enjoyed about this was that none of the challenges really felt unfair. The opening teeth dodging felt a bit unnecessary, IMO, but the rest of it was really fun to crack. One of the most exhilarating feelings I get when playing CC casually is the rush that comes after feeling like something is impossible and then realizing that the solution was right in my face all along, and I didn't do anything to cook the level. This level has a few of those moments, albeit alongside a few "...really?" moments, most of which were my fault. Still, though, it was really enjoyable to play. I particularly liked how the force floor "teeth" were present in each room. Overall, this is a "quadrant" level done well.

<strong>#38 (Upstream):</strong> I love the aesthetic and theme, but boy, was that paramecia room a bit mean.

<strong>#44 (Revenge of the Level 1 Potted Plant):</strong> Earlier, while reviewing my own level Crosshairs, I mentioned that I thought there were better monster herding levels. This is certainly one of them. I love how contained the monsters' reach is whereas Chip's degree of movement, while limited, doesn't feel totally claustrophobic. Stopping the level after two challenges was also a smart move.

<strong>#45 (The Longest Track):</strong> There really isn't much CC material there like this level. And for that reason, I'm giving it a high rating. But beyond that, I love how its designer crafted an elegant puzzle that didn't need to be large and sprawling to provide a whopper of a challenge. I think CCLP4 could really benefit from having something like this toward the end of the set - a brain-burner that's more contained and focused and not lengthy.

<strong>#47 (Clay Tunnel): </strong>As far as aesthetics go, this level knocks it out of the park. But the gameplay itself complements it in a way that just clicks. Each room, while structurally similar, offers a different challenge. The zig-zag movement across the map makes the journey feel like an uphill climb underground, which is a really neat touch. I think the natural point of comparison for this level is Asphalt Line (#6 in this pack), which features a similarly well-executed "be careful what pop-up wall you use" theme. This one outdoes even that and was very enjoyable to play through.

<strong>#48 (Monster Swapper): </strong>This level was certainly among my "levels I was disappointed about not seeing in CCLP1" list. It's an even better fit for CCLP4, though, and it explores a design trope that we don't see much of: the "alternate universe," which could be seen in CCLP1 #111. It's rare to see a level that manages to feature both dodging and a bit of deduction work in a way that doesn't feel silly, but this pulls it off perfectly.

Favorite level: Monster Swapper

Least favorite level: Classroom Practice
1: An interesting level.

2: This is a good use of tanks, although it is slightly frustrating in Lynx.

3: I think this is better than Chocolate Covered Chocolate, or whatever that JCCLP2 level is called.

4: No, I'm not familiar with it, and I don't care. This remains a better recessed wall maze than most.

5: It's all right, but it didn't make a strong impression on me.

6: Better than the CCLP2 level it is based on. Slide delay is annoying.

7: The teeth section is fun, but the rest isn't that good.

8: Better than other teeth levels.

9: Why did you have to dump a walker near the blocks?

10: Really confusing maze.

11: It's fun.

12: This level is a big mess.

13: This level feels like the designer just randomly dumped force floors and chips in the editor, and rapidly tested it to make sure it is solvable.

14: Short but fun...somewhat.

15: This is the Po100T level that was used to discover clone desynchronization. Apart from the glitch, it's decent.

16: One of Josh' best levels.

17: Decent dodging level, although I don't really feel sleepy.

18: BUSTED: recessed wall at [18,11] not required.

19: Decent ice maze...

20: This level is a real pain.

21: The gliders feel out of place. Other than that, it's all right.

22: Just simple dodging and block pushing.

23: This would have been better without the joyride and the extreme dodging at the end.

24: A good force floor level, although the random force floors that cannot be accessed are a real pain for the eyes.

25: Better than many other key levels.

26: I don't know why Tyler put this in TCCLPRejects, because it's amazing. But if it gets in the final set, please find a better title.

27: Better than I remembered it from UC4 (?).

28: This level feels larger than it should be.

29: Great sokoban.

30: That's the third set where I find this level...all right, it's fun.

31: Seriously?

32: The best part of this level is its title.

33: What a crazy level!

34: It's a good thing it doesn't fill the map.

35: Some rooms are good, others are frustrating.

36: UNEQUAL: gliders don't burn in Lynx.

37: I think this was in JCCLP. I like it, although it is rather simple.

38: The paramecia section is really too far in the level. Other than that, it's all right.

39: The puzzles are very challenging and fun.

40: Tyler is one of the most underestimated level designers of all time.

41: Not one of Josh' best levels.

42: What kind of a level title is that? And what kind of a level is that?

43: All right. Nothing to say. Boring title, I guess...

44: My least favourite level in the pack.

45: Ben Hornlitz may have pointed out a bust, but apparently it's still busted.

46: Fun puzzle and strict time limit: it's great.

47: Best level in the pack.

48: Decent.

49: What's with DOSH? In the end, the puzzles are fun.

50: Good Jeffrey level.
CC is awesome!

CC2 sets (still being updated): C1059-CC2 --- Walls of CC2

CC1 sets (all complete): C1059-2 --- C1059-1 --- 1059PG01 --- C1059-Christmas --- C1059-INSANITY --- C1059-CCLP4

My Youtube channel --- Fiver's Honeycomb --- Fanfiction.net

Good posts don't cost too much, yet many go unwritten.
Quote:31: Seriously?

Seriously.
Quote:18: BUSTED: recessed wall at [18,11] not required.

That's not much of a bust... what could be considered a bust is the fact that three pairs of boots aren't required Tongue
You should probably be playing CC2LP1.

Or go to the Chip's Challenge Wiki.
Quote:45: Ben Hornlitz may have pointed out a bust, but apparently it's still busted.

Now I know if you enjoyed or didn't enjoy this level. Tongue

That can also go for your "Seriously?" comment on Jungle Fever. I can't make heads or tails on what you mean by that.
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Quote:Seriously.
Why?

Quote:That's not much of a bust... what could be considered a bust is the fact that three pairs of boots aren't required Tongue
I didn't notice that. That's a really big bust...

Quote:Now I know if you enjoyed or didn't enjoy this level. Tongue

That can also go for your "Seriously?" comment on Jungle Fever. I can't make heads or tails on what you mean by that.
Thanks Josh! I'm glad to know this was helpful Laughing

(that's enough)

Level 45 is fun, but I don't think it will appear in the final set.

By "Seriously?" I mean "Why is this in voting?"
CC is awesome!

CC1 sets (all complete): C1059-2 --- C1059-1 --- 1059PG01 --- C1059-Christmas --- C1059-INSANITY --- C1059-CCLP4

Quote:By "Seriously?" I mean "Why is this in voting?"

Well what's wrong with it? I think it's one of the most fun levels in voting in all honesty. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Quote:Well what's wrong with it? I think it's one of the most fun levels in voting in all honesty. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I can see why optimizers would like this level: they would probably have a lot of fun trying to figure out the fastest way through the force floors. However, I don't optimize, so to me this is simply a "maze without walls". I simply "played paramecium" to solve it. I prefer many of those "ordinary" blue wall mazes from previous packs.
CC is awesome!