Microwave Pack - Discussion
This is the official discussion thread for CCLP4 voting's Microwave Pack. Feel free to share your thoughts, opinions, and comments on the levels here!
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Microwave Pack has just been updated to replace level 23 with the correct level (Right Place, Right Time), and to correct a spelling error on level 25.
You should probably be playing CC2LP1.

Or go to the Chip's Challenge Wiki.
There's a discrepancy with level 29 too. The voting page displays Block Trap as level 29 but Classrooms takes its place in the set. Same with level 40 except with My Annoying Friend and In the Way.
Queen
Thanks for the report, the set has been updated again. There was a problem with the set those levels come from and the level splicer, but it should be fixed now.
You should probably be playing CC2LP1.

Or go to the Chip's Challenge Wiki.
Well here I am, very late, but I've been busy with C1059-CC2. Anyway...

1: I probably found this harder than it was supposed to be.

2: It's nothing special. Also, the fireballs all pointing north are ugly in Lynx.

3: This would have been better if it was smaller, but all right. It's decent.

4: Cool puzzle, but so much walking.

5: I solved this on the first try. The walkers never posed a problem.

6: Just a collection of water rooms, some pointless, others tedious, all ordinary.

7: Judging by the hint, this was probably made by Craig Vilbig. It's rather good.

8: I don't really like recessed wall mazes.

9: Not really much of a challenge.

10: Several nice puzzles. The teeth contribute to making this level look better.

11: Short and simple...

12: It's really nasty to have the hardest rooms at the end. The player has to redo the easy rooms every single time they cook the harder ones.

13: Not one of Jeffrey's best levels.

14: Another short and simple level.

15: Some rooms are good, others...not so much.

16: I have slow reflexes and I don't like dodging most of the time. I don't feel like snatching a green key in Lynx with only one tile to spare, nor do I feel like improvising.

17: I remember raging on this level.

18: Could have been worse.

19: *universe explodes* OOPS...TOO BAD D: Either way, good fun level.

20: Just to be clear, "short and simple" doesn't always mean "bad".

21: Purpose, please?

22: This level is very messy.

23: Much better than I expected.

24: I've seen better key levels.

25: I think this is ordinary, at best.

26: GLIDERS ARE NOT GHOSTS OK??? This level is absolutely ordinary.

27: This is actually a good maze.

28: This level is a nightmare to those who play without sound effects, like me.

29: Short but fun.

30: Another very fun level.

31: This feels like a pointless block pushing level.

32: A very interesting concept.

33: This level feels too large. It should have been more contained.

34: A really great level. Perhaps the best in the pack so far.

35: OUCH indeed. What a pain.

36: I think this was in JCCLP2, and it is very fun.

37: Um...goodbye.

38: The ending part is annoying, but the rest is a simple puzzle.

39: This would have been fun, but some blue wall placements are annoying.

40: If someone annoys me all the time, they are not my friend.

41: An unusual type of sokoban, but it works.

42: I played this in MikeL4 when it existed, and it is quite fun, now that the Lynx block slapping bust has been fixed.

43: Now THAT'S a good blue/hidden wall maze. Nice pattern, no annoying teleports, reasonable time limit. That's great.

44: It's decent.

45: I'm not sure I know exactly what needs to be done, and I don't care.

46: It's an all right level.

47: That's a good level with a strict time limit.

48: Short but creative puzzle.

49: I've heard so much about this level on the forums. And now that I play it, I'm like "What's the big deal?"

50: I solved this in 13 seconds. At least Deserted Battlefield was an actual challenge.
CC is awesome!

CC2 sets (still being updated): C1059-CC2 --- Walls of CC2

CC1 sets (all complete): C1059-2 --- C1059-1 --- 1059PG01 --- C1059-Christmas --- C1059-INSANITY --- C1059-CCLP4

My Youtube channel --- Fiver's Honeycomb --- Fanfiction.net

Good posts don't cost too much, yet many go unwritten.
Quote:21: Purpose, please?

The purpose of this level is the same as roughly 90% of all other existing levels - to be fun and enjoyable to play.
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Quote:The purpose of this level is the same as roughly 90% of all other existing levels - to be fun and enjoyable to play.
True, but that's rather generic. As you say, roughly 90% of all levels aim to be fun and enjoyable to play, but some levels aim to do more than just that.
CC is awesome!

CC2 sets (still being updated): C1059-CC2 --- Walls of CC2

CC1 sets (all complete): C1059-2 --- C1059-1 --- 1059PG01 --- C1059-Christmas --- C1059-INSANITY --- C1059-CCLP4

My Youtube channel --- Fiver's Honeycomb --- Fanfiction.net

Good posts don't cost too much, yet many go unwritten.
Not every level has to accomplish something unique, Chipster. Slight smile
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

This is probably my least favorite pack so far, but it had at least one excellent level and a few other gems. Thoughts below...

#1 (Talisman): I'm normally not a fan of levels in which you see what needs to be done and go, "Oh, guess I'm gonna have to repeat that three more times." Thankfully, it's only more like once in this case. The design is also top-notch, and I love how the combination of fire, water, and bombs can sometimes throw you off as far as what you might want to clear out.

#4 (1.5D): I can't say I've ever seen a level quite like this before, and for that reason alone, I enjoyed it. It's a bit long, but it kept my attention throughout and never quite felt stale.

#10 (Security Gates): The lesson here is definitely "don't judge a book by its cover." At first, back in CCLP1 testing, I kind of dismissed this as another "Which One Next?"-esque itemswapping level, and then it quickly became evident that the challenge was much different: finding a particular item or items to make it to the next section. There are at least a couple of points where you have to be cognizant of either the number of items you can pick up before moving on or what the least wasteful path is to get to what you ultimately need. A really neat, fun idea implemented well.

#15 (Melancholia): I really enjoyed figuring all of this out, and then when I reached the end, I totally fell for the ploy. Was a little disappointed that the solution wasn't a little more involved. Overall, a decent idea but not a level I'm eager to see in CCLP4.

#16 (Into the Nether): I think CCLP3 has milked the "dig a route for the monsters" design trope for all its worth, and this level doesn't bring anything new to the table. The narrow amount of space to work with when freeing each fireball is also frustrating.

#18 (Crosshairs): This is one of my levels that I was rather interested in seeing in a CCLP for a while, but since its creation several years ago, I think other, better levels that feature monster herding have supplanted it. Revenge of the Level 1 Potted Plant, anyone?

#22 (Wastelands of Tabora): This is absolutely my favorite level in the pack. I love how clearing dirt gradually opens up more routes back to the starting room and how there aren't too many places in which dirt has to be cleared a specific way, other than one close to the start. I'm also a major sucker for levels in which you cross through areas with different objectives or items in hand, and this level pulls that off in a way that never quite feels obtuse. It's a long campaign level but totally enjoyable. Wouldn't mind seeing that blob get changed to a paramecium, though.

#26 (A Ghost in the Corridors): I appreciate when levels don't always feel the need to include blocks or elements in the level just because they need to be used. You don't really need to open both paths to the top half up here, which is a welcome relief. The "ghost" (glider) also provides a lot of reason to keep alert without making the level [CC1 #131].

#30 (Toggle Toggle): This was the type of level I was referencing back at the beginning of this pack's commentary.

#35 (Grudge): I can see this level getting some flack from voters who aren't very fond of dodging, but I thoroughly enjoyed playing this. I had at least two silly cooks in the ball room that provided some laughs, and a lot of the block maneuvering was very clever. The short nature of the level was also appreciated as well. Overall, a tight, fun challenge.

#41 (Extraction): I remembered this level being rather challenging from CCLP1 voting but didn't recall the solution, so I was able to approach it with fresh eyes. Personally, I really enjoy levels that gently ease you into the challenge. This one builds up the core concept until you're in the tough position of managing multiple blocks and trap connections. It's a neat idea that climaxes in difficulty at just the right point before it wears out its welcome. My only complaint is the block-pushing to reach the exit.

#42 (Flappy Chip): The end of my thoughts on the previous level apply here too, unfortunately.

#47 (Reducing): A time crunch can make even simple dodging rather nerve-wracking, and this level has just the right amount of length and complexity to make it work fairly well.

#50 (Lost in the Blocks): ...really?

Favorite level: Wastelands of Tabora

Least favorite level: Lost in the Blocks
Here's some of my thoughts on some levels in this pack.

3. Crossing the Courtyard

I feel like there has always been an ongoing discussion about invisible walls, on how to and not to use them. Designers have always used these tiles with their levels the wrong way in the past, whereas designers nowadays tend to try to use them in a fair, non-tedious way. There aren't a whole lot of levels that use them this way but I feel this one does and it's one of the few I actually really like. Even with the time limit and getting lost a few times, I had fun playing through it and never felt overwhelmed by the level. One thing I will say is I don't think it was necessary to take up the whole map but for what it is, it was still very fun. Whether CCLP4 needs an invisible wall focused level remains to be seen but this is one of maybe two or three I wouldn't mind seeing in the final set.

9. Gulp

No offense to the designer but I'm honestly surprised this is even in the voting. There is nothing to this level at all and is simply pretty boring.

12. Guide Line

A fun level to play and it still had a challenge to it, even if it does appear to be easy. I also liked that the rooms became higher in difficulty as you progress. A well designed level I would love to see in the final set.

24. Colorblind Dog

This was my favorite level in this pack. Compared to Wastelands of Tabora it's not much but as a key themed level, it was a blast to play even after messing numerous times! It's a very well crafted, executed level and definitely a top pick for CCLP4 in my opinion.

27. Fiery Landmine

Not one of my strong picks for the final set but I still enjoyed the aesthetic and gameplay of this level.

45. Pareidolia

Honestly, my opinions of this level are torn. I really like the concept and idea of it but at the same time, it's a tough level to solve and get the timing right which makes it fun to me. It might not be a strong pick for other voters for me, I liked it enough and I really wouldn't mind seeing it in the final set as a late 130s level.

50. Lost in the Blocks

See Gulp's comment. Except this time, I didn't bother solving it because I know I don't want this in the final set.

Favorite level: Colorblind Dog (24)

Least favorite level: Flappy Chip (42)

I didn't like Lost in the Blocks either but that's too obvious of a choice for a least favorite level. Slight smile
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects