April 2016 Treasure Hunt
Is there a Treasure Hunter lurking inside you, yearning for a chance to see some action?
Can you steal the

Cross of Coronado

and get away with it?

Your task sounds simple: download this, solve the Cross of Coronado
, and score the most points.

However, in the dark caves there are many twists and surprises. One of them is a curse which
causes the
fall of the first person to touch this renowned artifact, leaving the second as the
ultimate winner. Can you outsmart the rest and still have enough luck to end up the best?

Points are awarded in this fashion for gathering items:

chip - 1 point

blue key - 5 points

red key - 8 points

yellow key - 9 points

green key - 15 points

socket - 0 points

You must exit the level. Your solution time does not matter this time.
Opening doors does not reduce your points.
You may enter up to three times, which is why the set contains the same
level three times.

More technical rules follow, but do ask for anything that's on your mind:
1) The submissions will be scored according to the above legend. The winner of the competition will be the person who submits the highest unique score. Further ranking of players will follow a similar method after removal of the winning score. In case of a tie in all (remaining) scores, some scores may be disregarded in a way that feels appropriate to the general method. Include your own calculations of your own score with your submission if possible, but this is not required.
2) Please send your solutions (either the tws file or avis) to my own email valeosote at hotmail dot com. Do not post your solutions or scores or share them with others before the competition results are announced. All scores will be published at the same time, and possibly some routes too. I will strive to respond to your message by a confirmation that your score has been recorded.
3) The set contains the level Cross of Coronado
three times, meaning you can enter multiple times and only need to send one tws.
4) This is part of the 2016 season of the Chip Cup. Winner will be awarded 15 points, second place 12, third 10 points, and so on. If you win a competition here for the first time, you receive the "You're Winner!" award. All participants who haven't participated in a Treasure Hunt earlier receive the "Chip the Pirate" award. If your name is Madhav or you don't care for these awards, I will think of something special just for you.
5) Submission deadline is May 8th, 2016 where you live. I will judge the submissions without warning the during the following days but will accept submissions until I do. If you need a more specific time, you can always ask. Get your solutions in early rather than later! You can send in an update while the competition is running, but only your three most recent scores will count in the competition.
6) The designer of the levels may enter the competition, as long as there is no advantage to his position. (Basically this means I can submit my current solutions into the mix.)
7) The levels or scoring may receive an update within the first week of release. This is unlikely, but just saying it just in case.
8) The level is easy to solve, so you have no excuse to not participate! Even with a quick solution and a bit of luck, you might end up on top! Encourage your friends and family and enemies to participate, to make this the largest Treasure Hunt in history!

Watch out that you don't fall into a snake pit! Enjoy!

-Miika

http://cczone.invisionzone.com/index.php?/files/file/561-%7B?%7D/

[Click to Show Content]
It's nice to finally have a treasure hunter competition after all these years!

In what ruleset must I enter?
CC is awesome!

CC2 sets (still being updated): C1059-CC2 --- Walls of CC2

CC1 sets (all complete): C1059-2 --- C1059-1 --- 1059PG01 --- C1059-Christmas --- C1059-INSANITY --- C1059-CCLP4

My Youtube channel --- Fiver's Honeycomb --- Fanfiction.net

Good posts don't cost too much, yet many go unwritten.
Quote:5) Submission deadline is March 8th, 2016 where you live.

Where's a time machine when I need one?
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Quote:Where's a time machine when I need one?
Josh, you're awesome. Best post evah.
CC is awesome!

CC1 sets (all complete): C1059-2 --- C1059-1 --- 1059PG01 --- C1059-Christmas --- C1059-INSANITY --- C1059-CCLP4

You would think I slip these little mistakes in for fun Slight smile Thanks for pointing them out (including the name of the award for participation). The real deadline is also now revealed as May 8th! I think you can enter using either rule set without it making a difference. Sorry if there is other confusion stuff, like the way I presented the scoring. (more on this later...)

I agree that three years is a long gap between Treasure Hunts! Let's hope someone makes a new one again sooner than that Slight smile
I should be submitting some solutions within the next few days, Miika. Thanks for making a TH competition with an interesting premise, and one that doesn't just turn out to be a Time Trial in disguise as many of the past ones have been! Slight smile
The submission deadline was supposed to be two weeks ago but there wasn't any official announcement. Is this competition still happening?
CC is awesome!

Here is a skype message Miika posted about a week ago in response to your question:

[5/17/2016 11:41:00 AM] Miika: Hi guys. Quick Treasure Hunt update. (using this chat and not the other because of many unread messages) Sorry to keep you waiting for the results, but after we moved two weeks ago, we have been experiencing some internet troubles. In addition, work has kept me busy. I'll get to it though as soon as I can Slight smile While you wait, attack those Time Trial levels!! (really, there is a confirm of a pieguy route in the prize pool!!)

So essentially, yes it is over it just couldn't be announced at the time. Wink
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Hi guys and gals!

Apologies for the delay in these results. I try to get them out as soon as possible, but this time it really took longer than it should have. I also wanted to talk more about the design of the level and scoring, but decided to do that after these results. This did lead to not explaining the scoring quite as well as I could have done, but it was harder to express clearly than what I first thought.

Ok let's get to the good stuff! We had ten participants, giving us a record 30 submissions on a single level! To win, you had to score the highest unique score. So what scores were possible and which ones did you submit?

The highest possible score was apparently 141 treasure points. This could be scored by finding 10 chips (10 treasure points), four blue keys (20 treasure points), three red keys (24 points), three yellow keys (27 points), and four green keys (60 points). There was more than one way to do this by using the different arms of the cross. Who figured this out?

[Click to Show Content]

Moving on, the next possible score was with one fewer chip at 140 treasure points. Could this produce the winner?

[Click to Show Content]

Next we realize that 139 treasure points was not a possible score, but not picking up the last blue key did score 136.

[Click to Show Content]

And then not picking up a chip gets you 135 treasure points...

[Click to Show Content]

And with that, I move completely into hidden territory...

[Click to Show Content]

[Click to Show Content]

[Click to Show Content]

[Click to Show Content]

I had some trepidation about how this scoring would work, and granted there was some luck involved, but I do think the right person won. I am handing out all the appropriate awards to the participants and posting a video with your solutions soon. I really do hope you enjoyed this little level and come back next time for more! (Like for the Time Trial!! You still have today to send in your solutions!)

Thanks to all of you.

-Miika

Here's a run down of all the scores and calculations, hopefully it's all correct:

[Click to Show Content]
Hi guys!

So I've had some feedback about the competition and it's been mixed. Some said it was nice that it didn't feel quite like a Time Trial in disguise. Others didn't enjoy the luck factor or mind gaming involved with the ranking. I kind of agree with both. I wanted to try a version of a Treasure Hunt where you couldn't be sure which score would win, even if you understood the level completely. Then again, maybe the level could be a bit more complex, so that the maximum would be a bit more shielded. And even after the winner was decided, the later rankings were a bit chaotic and didn't reflect which players actually did the math and tried to understand what's going on. Hopefully everyone still had at least an ounce of fun participating, and I will take to heart some lessons for next time. Slight smile

Here's the video of some of the solutions, I think one from each participant:

I should really go and mark which solution was from whom, and how much they scored, so expect that in the annotations eventually. I think they are in the order of the rankings, but will have to check. Thanks again for everyone's time!

Also, apologies to Bacorn and Jupey95 for somehow not getting your submissions. Bacorn says he had scores of 141, 126, 125, but I'm afraid they might have been lost in my junk mail folder. I do always reply to people once I get a submission, so if in the future you don't hear from me, try again maybe, but let's hope that those times are few and far between. I don't know Jupey95's scores, but I think it's not unfair to still award both of you something for your efforts, so I'll add some extra Chip Cup points for you from the end of the rankings. Yay?

-Miika