Flareon1 feedback & discussion thread
Quote:35 NORTHLANDS

A try every blue wall type, no my thing, and four block slides for the red key - bad level you, bad level Raised eyebrow

38 COSMIC DUMP

A nice linear level, however I don't like if basically every wall is lethal...

4/3/2/4

39 FRANTIC ATMOSPHERE

Getting the angry teeth drowned is a bit too easy.

2/1/4/1

50 DUNK TANK

Quite a lot of clever designs, and the left upper puzzle is not that easy, compared to the others. I strongly disagree with hiding the magno shoes under a block, and should really be changed, since there is absolutely no point in doing so, even if you just need three blocks to solve the level, or four if you want to get all the bonuses, other than this, a few well designed traps and and overall good linear level.

5/4/2/4

35 - It's a not bad level if you know what to do. Arguably yes that beginning is longer than I wanted it to be but it works. After that, most of the level is straightfoward. Only two blockslides are needed to get to the red key, not four. I recommend giving this a solve before stating it's a bad level.

38 - That's kind of the point and idea of this one Wink

39 - I strongly think your action difficulty rating should be lowered in my opinion. This level is extremely easy as there's really nothing else to the concept and it's also pretty straightforward.

50 - Glad you liked it, this was definitely the best level I've created so far. The block with magno shoes under it has to be pushed regardless of what you do in that room because you can't get access to all the blocks (which you need all of them to solve it) without pushing that center one, which is why those two water tiles are there to start with, to kind of hint out what to push first...
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
35: My comment was not to be taken too serious, it was meant to be a bit funny Tongue

However, I have not completed the level, due to the blockslide thingy, but I'll come back to this one at a later point...

50: You can fill a water tile here, and save one for the times four bonus, in this regard you use all blocks, but I meant, to bridge to the flippers, you just need three of them.

Clear the path for the ice block: LLLULLDDRULUR (saved for later use)... and bring the ice block in: LLLLULDDDDUUURRR...
The intention was one block must be used to bridge back to the transmogrifer (probably not spelled right), one to change into an ice block and destroy the fire, then use the last three to bridge to the flippers. One near the bonus x4 section can still be used from earlier in the level.

I'm not sure if what you did is a bust but if so, it's fine. From what I'm understanding though, it sounds like you made it harder than it actually is Tongue
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Hi,

I brought an ice block from the upper left puzzle through the teleports with the hook into the center... Fail

It really felt like the intended solution, clever use of hooking through the teleports, and having to use the turtles in a non obvious way up there to save two ice blocks... Using a transformer sounds pretty cheaty Rolling eyes
Quote:I brought an ice block from the upper left puzzle through the teleports with the hook into the center... Fail

It really felt like the intended solution, clever use of hooking through the teleports, and having to use the turtles in a non obvious way up there to save two ice blocks... Using a transformer sounds pretty cheaty Rolling eyes

Oh well yeah you definitely made it more difficult than it is lol I didn't think that was doable but it's nice to see an alternate, much harder solution! But yeah my above post is the intended solution (and much easier too!), though it still involves using a hook through teleports, just not as much.

I will most likely get rid of that no suction tile in that five block room because it really doesn't serve a purpose and just make that the suction boots instead, thus removing it under that center block as you prefer since that alternate solution exists. Slight smile

Also it's hard to tell when you're joking with feedback Tongue sorry about that with NORTHLANDS!
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Yet another update, with five new levels - one of which was ported from one of my CC1 sets. Bringing the total to 55, so enjoy!
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

41 BRIGAND LAND
The distances you have to walk make this level a bit long. Other than this a nice tutorial style level for bribes.
2/1/1/2

42 BLANK OUT
I like the hook however the ways you have to take here are tedious, and since there is no real puzzle or something else in the level, it doesn't feel really good.
2/1/1/2

43 GENTLEMEN'S CLUB
It's nice that you can go around the level, but not that you are forced to. The parts with the ball and the gliders give you a chance, that you have to restart once, which makes the start a bit annoying. The puzzles are easy, the hidden balling ball unnecessary, and since you have to go through a push up wall to get to it imo just wrong.
2/2/3/2

44 TEAM ROCKET HIDEOUT
Interesting interactions between time bombs and push up walls, however, but a glider after a force floor section which you can't see (except you wait before stepping on the force floors for some obscure reason, or you are lucky), really, that's just mean. A trap like the top middle/right one, make water tile hide between custom floors, there is no reason for this.
2/2/2/2

45 FORCE FLOOR FACTORY
The no helmet sign luckily is there for no reason, and you just have to make four rounds - still quite some time just cycling around, but overall an easy fun level. The time limit could be a bit higher anyhow.
4/2/2/4

46 FAST BALL
One round would have been enough fast ball fun for me.
1/1/3/2

47 ICE BLOCK BODYGUARD
A 50 50 chance that a teeth mechanic will kill you, depending on which way you go, and there is no way to know which one is correct, great work, however you lost me for this level, sorry.

48 RECKLESS
A nice yellow tank puzzle. Slight smile
5/3/1/5

49 FOILED AGAIN
Really nice puzzles, Thumbs up the middle one the secret eyes are not needed, even if probably not the intended solution, I think it's the more interesting one; the time limit could be a bit higher though.
5/4/2/5
Quote:41 BRIGAND LAND

The distances you have to walk make this level a bit long. Other than this a nice tutorial style level for bribes.

2/1/1/2

42 BLANK OUT

I like the hook however the ways you have to take here are tedious, and since there is no real puzzle or something else in the level, it doesn't feel really good.

2/1/1/2

43 GENTLEMEN'S CLUB

It's nice that you can go around the level, but not that you are forced to. The parts with the ball and the gliders give you a chance, that you have to restart once, which makes the start a bit annoying. The puzzles are easy, the hidden balling ball unnecessary, and since you have to go through a push up wall to get to it imo just wrong.

2/2/3/2

44 TEAM ROCKET HIDEOUT

Interesting interactions between time bombs and push up walls, however, but a glider after a force floor section which you can't see (except you wait before stepping on the force floors for some obscure reason, or you are lucky), really, that's just mean. A trap like the top middle/right one, make water tile hide between custom floors, there is no reason for this.

2/2/2/2

45 FORCE FLOOR FACTORY

The no helmet sign luckily is there for no reason, and you just have to make four rounds - still quite some time just cycling around, but overall an easy fun level. The time limit could be a bit higher anyhow.

4/2/2/4

46 FAST BALL

One round would have been enough fast ball fun for me.

1/1/3/2

47 ICE BLOCK BODYGUARD

A 50 50 chance that a teeth mechanic will kill you, depending on which way you go, and there is no way to know which one is correct, great work, however you lost me for this level, sorry.

48 RECKLESS

A nice yellow tank puzzle. Slight smile

5/3/1/5

49 FOILED AGAIN

Really nice puzzles, Thumbs up the middle one the secret eyes are not needed, even if probably not the intended solution, I think it's the more interesting one; the time limit could be a bit higher though.

5/4/2/5

41 - Walking long distances was the point of this one.

42 - It's a small, simple level so it can't be that tedious. The real puzzle is getting the bonus, which based off your feedback I assume you didn't get.

43 - The ball and glider part focuses on timing, which is a common level theme. I was very lenient with those sections, especially the glider one (there used to be four gliders in that room). As for the hidden bowling ball, it is extremely obvious it is there. That is why I placed a chip behind that block in the first place, so it must be pushed back...

44 - Okay. I didn't realize the force floor/glider part being mean so I'll change that in an update. As for the water, it is there for a reason, so the ghost don't escape their room. Removing it would make the block useless, thus ruin the whole idea of the NE section. I guess I can change the color of the custom floor but really... it's not that hard to distinguish.

45 - I think 400 seconds is more than enough time so I won't be making it higher.

46 - Again, a small simple level. There is nothing hard about it.

47 - What a shame. I will admit I don't like the design of this but still I worked really hard on this level too and the concept is great. Maybe I'll try to redesign this someday but still not happy to hear your feedback on this one.

48 - Thank you. I personally felt this was annoying.

49 - Thanks again. The eyes must be needed, how else would you get the fire boots from the ghosts? They are necessary after all... But like level 45, there is more than enough time here so I won't make it higher.

I do appreciate your feedback but I must say I am confused with it sometimes, H. Of the past twenty levels you've reviewed most of them weren't that positive, which I'm very surprised about. Out of these ones specifically, the ones I was most proud of where 43, 44 and 47 and each of them didn't get that good feedback, from you at least.

I am and have been trying to improve my designs, especially with these later levels but I feel as if nothing of that is being accomplished based off your feedback. So any insight to this would be nice.
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Quote:I do appreciate your feedback but I must say I am confused with it sometimes, H. Of the past twenty levels you've reviewed most of them weren't that positive, which I'm very surprised about.

Sorry, if that's your impression, it's not what I was aiming for.

The levels are on average very good Thumbs up

But as I wrote in my first review, it's a comparison among different levels in this set, so a 1 or 2 for design doesn't mean it's bad at all, it was just below average for me for your levels, and since your average in absolute terms is really high, I could probably make a more absolute scale from 1 to 10, and add more or less 5 for almost every level in the design point B)

Quote:42 - It's a small, simple level so it can't be that tedious. The real puzzle is getting the bonus, which based off your feedback I assume you didn't get.

Generally I'm not necessarily getting all the bonuses in each level, here however I did.

[Click to Show Content]

And well, sorry, I can't give this level that much more points, and let's be honest, if you compare it to Joshua Bone's SYNCHRONOUS MODE BLOCKING, which is just a masterpiece of hook level, I think the differences are obvious...

Quote:49 - Thanks again. The eyes must be needed, how else would you get the fire boots from the ghosts? They are necessary after all... But like level 45, there is more than enough time here so I won't make it higher.

[Click to Show Content]

Quote:Out of these ones specifically, the ones I was most proud of where 43, 44 and 47 and each of them didn't get that good feedback, from you at least.

43 got mainly lower points for the start. You are forced to run around to get the red key; the first time it's interesting, to see the level, of course I get the timing between bawling ball and ball wrong, and have to run around again. Still fun, but after destroying a ship with my cool bowling ball, and had to run a third time, it started to get slightly repetitive. And yes, sadly I have to admit, the ant killed me the first time (somehow I really misjudge how long it takes to release the bowling ball sometimes) as well, so, redo everything, which includes running around the level for 21 seconds... And together with giving me the feeling I missed something in the level, when I first came up to the top right section, because the bawling ball is hidden, I like puzzles, not trial and error, the score can't be that much higher.

44: Depending on the tile graphics you use, some parts might be more obvious, I changed in mine just the force floors to green in green, and some other minor things, which definitely helps a to avoid crazy flickering everywhere in some levels, compared to the standard graphics, and that's necessary, otherwise I would probably get crazy if there are somewhere too many force floors Raised eyebrow, but for sure, didn't help to identify the direction of the force floors if covered by chips in this level. I did not change anything for water or the blue custom floors, but with the standard graphics, the water is really hard to spot here, of cause, if you look for it, you will see it, but noticing it without knowing you have to watch out for a water tile is a different story. That at the start a key, a teleport and a 1k bonus is covered by canopies didn't help as well. I really don't like this unnecessary hiding of parts in a level. But the main point, as written, was for me the glider near the end - completely unexpected, while you happily travel on force floors, a ship comes out of nowhere, to kill you...

47: I'll give this one another chance on another day, but a fifty-fifty chance to die, half way in the level - probably more at the start - definitely doesn't feel good - especially if you choose the wrong one.

But to be honest, I already didn't understand why you try to hide the area control button at the start with a not allowed marker, since it is at the very start, it doesn't matter too much, but definitely not something I can approve of.

The basic idea of keeping and ice block from melting sounds cool, but we'll see B)

So my résumé on this levels for now, is they are good, but have certain issues, which at least for me make them less fun and worse than they could be. However, at least some of them, as you mentioned, can be easily fixed (e.g. change certain tile colors...) and if this makes them a better playing experience for everyone, it should be perfect.

Quote:I am and have been trying to improve my designs, especially with these later levels but I feel as if nothing of that is being accomplished based off your feedback. So any insight to this would be nice.

Generally I could of course just write, nice level, good level or so, it would be way less work for me, instead of making notes while playing, comparing them to other levels afterwards, opening them in the editor after completing them, to see if I missed something,... but the feedback would be pretty useless. When I instead point out, what I didn't like in a level, especially if not intentionally designed this way, it can be improved, or for future levels avoided - and if the feedback should not be many pages long, I can't necessarily mention everything I liked in a level. So, just because I point out something, doesn't mean that there is not a lot of really good design in a level Slight smile
Quote:And well, sorry, I can't give this level that much more points, and let's be honest, if you compare it to Joshua Bone's SYNCHRONOUS MODE BLOCKING, which is just a masterpiece of hook level, I think the differences are obvious...

That's my problem really. I really don't like my levels being compared to others made by other people. Specifically, this level isn't special nor did I want it to be. I was not going for the best hook level ever, I wanted to make a different kind of sokoban to provide some variety in my set. That is my ideal goal with this set, like it was with my CC1 sets. If you felt it was tedious then that's fine, but just know I did want to make it larger. I feel I used this moderately but that's just me, the designer talking.

Quote:You don't need the boots from the ghost, it's enough if he wears them, since he can step on the fire to extinguish it Slight smile

Oh I see. Okay fair enough that can stay in then.

Quote:43 got mainly lower points for the start. You are forced to run around to get the red key; the first time it's interesting, to see the level, of course I get the timing between bawling ball and ball wrong, and have to run around again. Still fun, but after destroying a ship with my cool bowling ball, and had to run a third time, it started to get slightly repetitive. And yes, sadly I have to admit, the ant killed me the first time (somehow I really misjudge how long it takes to release the bowling ball sometimes) as well, so, redo everything, which includes running around the level for 21 seconds... And together with giving me the feeling I missed something in the level, when I first came up to the top right section, because the bawling ball is hidden, I like puzzles, not trial and error, the score can't be that much higher.

So. Removing just a bit of walking would make it a stronger level? I really don't understand that personally but it is what it is. The level isn't centered by that and I don't think a bit of walking around should discredit how good of a level it is, at least to me. The hidden bowling ball is not trial and error though, you do not die by trying to find it which in my opinion is what trial and error really is.

Quote:44: That at the start a key, a teleport and a 1k bonus is covered by canopies didn't help as well. I really don't like this unnecessary hiding of parts in a level.

Those canopies are just at the start... and none of them result in death. One of them even gives a bonus. So really there should be no reason to even complain about them. Unnecessary yes, but they are used in a reasonable manner. I feel this is nothing more than a nitpick, like the hidden bowling ball in the previous level so I'll try to disregard those. But as stated, I'll make that force floor path at the end more forgiving though, I didn't realize it couldn't be seen.

Quote:47: I'll give this one another chance on another day, but a fifty-fifty chance to die, half way in the level - probably more at the start - definitely doesn't feel good - especially if you choose the wrong one.

But to be honest, I already didn't understand why you try to hide the area control button at the start with a not allowed marker, since it is at the very start, it doesn't matter too much, but definitely not something I can approve of.

I don't understand this 50-50 chance of dying you're referring to. I've played this level many times and had another person play this and neither of us know what this is. I have not had an issue with anything regarding this so can you elaborate on this? The area control button having a no red key sign on it is simply, to avoid getting the red key at the start right away.

I am currently redesigning this level as we speak, so do not worry about this replaying this one. Hopefully you'll enjoy the redesigned version. I'm simply keeping your feedback in mind for the redesign, though I probably won't keep the teeth thing, depending on what happened with you with this.

Quote:So my résumé on this levels for now, is they are good, but have certain issues, which at least for me make them less fun and worse than they could be. However, at least some of them, as you mentioned, can be easily fixed (e.g. change certain tile colors...) and if this makes them a better playing experience for everyone, it should be perfect.

I'm not going for perfection or anywhere close to it. I know there will always be levels you won't enjoy and there will be some you'll enjoy, and that goes with every person who plays this set. I'm just getting the vibe that it's more on the unenjoyable side of the spectrum from you, disregarding your ratings. I can't remember the last level you said you fully liked and had nothing bad to say about it, if you have at all. But I am still trying to find my place in design, which arguably is better than when I first designed CC1 levels.

Hopefully you understand that I am taking this criticism as a way to improve and I hope you don't get the impression that I can't take criticism well. But I think there's a fine line between disliking something in a level and nitpicking about something in a level that doesn't affect much. Slight smile
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects