March 2014 Create Competition - Tiny Template
It's finally March! I've been waiting for this competition for over a year!

Two years ago in March we had a create competition where the task was to create a compact level under the theme "9x9". Last year in March I contemplated requiring a 6x12 level, but settled on a level where the restriction was on the time limit, so the level was to be quicker than a minute. This time I want to continue restricting your designs into a smaller level and go back to that abandoned idea of a rectangular shape. However, instead of just saying "make a level that fits into a 6x12 area" I want to continue the theme from this year's previous create tasks of using a template of some sort as the starting point. I also wanted to add some items at the start that could be used differently on different levels. Here's what the template looks like:

[Image: 8uozpi26bdfn2ntfg.jpg]

You can download a copy of it in the February 2014 Create Levels Packaged, as I included it already there as level #13. The basic idea is that this is all the area that Chip can reach, though you may build some sort of mechanism outside the visible area in an other room.

Basic instructions:

-download the template and use it as a starting off point to create your level.

-do not move Chip, the trap button, the skates, the yellow key, or the pop.up wall.

-you may use the other two tiles in the starting corridor as you wish.

-do not add teleports that would allow Chip to exit this 7x12 area.

-you may move or rotate or mirror the rooms, as long as the other room stays unseen by Chip at all times.

-do not add any more normal walls.

Other guidelines are as follows:

-Send in your submissions to either CCZoneNextLevel at gmail dot com
or valeosote at hotmail dot com

-Submissions are open as long as it is March 2014 where you live!

-The level must be solvable, but does not need to work in both MS and Lynx.

-Please give the level a new name, a new hint, a reasonable time limit, and set a new password.

-You may submit more than one entry, but please keep the levels distinct from each other.

-No late entries will be accepted this time around, as the release of CCLP1 is immenent.

-You may write about 100 words describing your creation and the process of creating it.

-Entrants receive the normal prizes: the "You're Winner!"-award, Chip Cup points, and "Tool Box"-award for first time entrants.

-Please ask about other unclear situations.

I have not decided exactly how to judge this competition just yet, so I will post an update about that later on. In the meanwhile, you can put your thinking caps on and try to see if you can come up with something fun! Enjoy!

-Miika
Is there any kind of difficulty you're looking for with this month's create competition?

Can we add anything outside the 7x12 area, like arbitrary design, etc.?
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Like I said, I haven't decided on how exactly to judge this one yet, so when I come up with something reasonable that should also give you an idea of the difficulty to aim for. The main thing with difficulty and these competitions is that it takes so much work to solve ten or more difficult levels and then judge them compared to easier levels that are digested quicker. However, the size of these new levels most likely will help in not allowing even the most difficult submissions to actually eat up too much effort.

As for the stuff outside the room Chip is in, if you look at the template in the set (not just the picture above) I filled in the rest of the level with walls except for an extra room that can be used for mechanisms. I consented that you could rotate, mirror, or move the room if you wanted. If you come up with a good reason to use some of the other space for other stuff I think we can let it slip by. Or leave everything else blank, if you think that looks better. I try not to be too restrictive with the rules when they get in the way, but would rather not have them thrown out the window just for the sake of doing so.

-Miika Fire block
I just noticed that there are two chips in the chip counter, but no chips in the level. Are we allowed to change the number of chips or do we have to stick with just the two?
I'm assuming we can't remove any of the existing walls either.
Just sent my entry in Slight smile
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Quote:I just noticed that there are two chips in the chip counter, but no chips in the level. Are we allowed to change the number of chips or do we have to stick with just the two?
You may change the chip count.

Quote:I'm assuming we can't remove any of the existing walls either.
Not in the 7x12 area. I would rather you didn't outside of it either, but will accept the entry if you have a reason to do so.
What about changing the walls into cloning machines, real blue walls, invisible walls, or any tiles that are unmovable? I can't seem to find some spaces for cloning machines...
Teeth  Teeth  Teeth  
Teeth  Chip Win  Teeth  
Teeth   Teeth  Teeth
The more you deviate from the given template, the more I will frown on the entry. Not sure if it will affect judging though, since I don't even know if I will be doing that this month. So go ahead and use clone machines if you feel that's what your level needs. Smiley
I know everyone is busy with CCLP1, but I am also interested in seeing the other levels for this competition. How goes the judging?