what was I thinking when I made this level?
I finally figured out how to download levelsets onto wills world yesterday, so for the fun of it this morning I downloaded my cclp1 set, and while playing it I got very confused on the third level. I know that the keys and boots in the level originally had a purpose and order of some kind, but while playing it I realized that they didn't even matter anymore. Now it has been long enough since I made this level that I can't remember why I changed it or failed to fix it... It is easier to play in its current state than what I think I wanted it to be, but I'm confused as to why I never noticed this until now.

Anyone else run into similar problems or situations before?
All the time. When I'm making a level, there will be changes, then some more changes, then a ton of playtesting followed by (usually) still more changes.

And I sometimes find levels I have not looked at in ages and ask myself what the heck I was thinking.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
A lot of the mistakes in the very first versions of my own set (custom, not submissions for LP1) were because of this, and many other silly mistakes such as forgetting to reset the chip counter, forgetting an item, etc. Slight smile

Quote:

And I sometimes find levels I have not looked at in ages and ask myself what the heck I was thinking.

Amen.
ZK1 / ZK2 / ZK3 / ZK3: Abandoned / ZK4 / ZK5

Bronze / Silver / Gold
JoshL (from 2009) is my set where I'm thinking to this very day, what the heck was I thinking.

Even some levels from JoshL2 & 3 I wonder the same thing. It's just that beginning step of being a CC level designer I guess. Slight smile
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
I feel this way about a lot of my levels (mainly a lot of the pointless early MikeL2 filler levels), but probably my biggest "what was I thinking?" level is MikeLrejects #323, which would have been a typical "Jumble" level if it weren't for all of its glaring errors - it has a "Button Blocker"-based room that is completely pointless because there are no toggle walls to be controlled beyond that point, a room with a chip that is impossible to get out of, and a shortcut partway through the level that was supposed to be Lynx only - using block slapping to push a block with fire underneath to get to an early exit....but Chip still has fire boots at this point in both rulesets. Rolling eyes
Mike L

My level sets:
MikeL2 - 200 levels, updated 1/22/2017
MikeL2-fix - Lynx compatible version of MikeL2
MikeL3 - 86 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - a best-of set with levels from MikeL2, MikeL4 or my now-hidden rejects set
MikeL4 - 27 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - home of any new post-2009 levels I make
MikeLrejects - 351 levels, updated 5/16/2013 - all my older/experimental/not as good levels