Waterfalls
Why are people so fascinated by them? I mean, it's really not that impressive when you think about it...water tumbles from a certain height, splashes down into a pool below...what's the allure? I can appreciate a waterfall as much as anybody, but they just seem sort of mundane when you stop to consider what they really are.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
My guess it's the same reason people are impressed with mountains or oceans. I don't know about you, but the sound of the ocean rocks me to sleep better than anything. And mountains are really, like, big. Yeah, they are just natural phenomena, but that doesn't make them less impressive.

What about rainbows? And shooting stars? All stars for that matter. Maybe it's just that some things make you feel small, so you're impressed.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
I've never seen a shooting star. But I'm biased against them (as well as rainbows) because I immediately associate them with bad junior high poetry.

But yeah. Big things. Impressive. You'd think people would get depressed by them, but instead, they tend to be inspired.

I just don't get people. I really don't.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
They're soothing for me. I get a lot of stress relief while listening to the sound of the nature around me.
Hello'v'ryone's'is' rockdet Ænigma Mælström (any word with æ because it's funny), master of non sequitur buckets!
My YouTube Channel
Rock-Alpha(It's a great game, Bill) 65 levels, including "Voices" and the world-infamous famous "Bloblake"!
Rock-Beta (You should try it, Bill) 50 levels, including "Unicorn Rabbit" and "The Sedna Suite" odyssey!
Rock-Gamma (Woah, really, Bill?!) 40 levels, including "Uncle duo ha ha ha ha ha" and many other surprises and what the actual f*** moments!
Teeth "We are after all in the future, where the past is king and the paste is ming." -raocow
But they're so loud. Wink
Take a trip on the "maid of the mist" to the foot of niagra and try not to be impacted.

ian
People like spectacle. Big waterfalls are spectacle. They're not in the normal range of experiences for many people. Pictures and video don't accurately capture the sight, the smell, of a waterfall.
Quote:Take a trip on the "maid of the mist" to the foot of niagra and try not to be impacted.

ian

The experience was ruined for me by the raincoats/ponchos. I couldn't concentrate while wrapped up in that thing.
Now, if you **really** wanted to experience a waterfall, you'd have to go over it in a barrel. Of course, this has a low survival rate so you probably don't want to.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
If Romney wins in November, I might give that barrel-experience thing a shot.