9x9 Levels
Guys, what's your opinion on 9x9 levels? I personally think they're really interesting and it's fun to try to get a concept / puzzle design on an incredibly small scale. For that reason I really enjoyed Vague Dream and Once Upon A Troubador.

I also think not knowing it's a 9x9 until you play it also makes them interesting, since Vague Dream looks like part of another level (Recurring Dream).

So, yeah, likey or no likey?
Read the sentence below this one.

You owe me $20.

Read the sentence above this one.
I agree; the two levels you cited were among my favorites in CCLP3.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
I was a big fan of those two levels, and I tried making my own, but it ended up being 10x9. Fitting a puzzle worth playing in 9x9 is hard, fitting a puzzle as tricky and rewarding as one of those two is beyond my skills.
I have a few of these levels in my set (actually they're 11x11, but its still the same kind of idea). I like these levels a lot. Sometimes less is more. I'd much rather play a small, well-designed level than a large, boring one.
Quote:I was a big fan of those two levels, and I tried making my own, but it ended up being 10x9.
That level was pretty good too.

The weird thing is that all 3 levels featured an oscillating tank operating a clone machine in one corner of the level. Slight smile

Levels with a minimalist concept always have great potential.

A 9x9 level is one of those concepts.

- Madhav.
I really liked this idea enough to make one of my own in BHLS1. (Circling the exit)

It's always fun to try to make good levels in small areas Slight smile
<p>Proud owner of absolutely no untied bolds.
Quote:That level was pretty good too.

The weird thing is that all 3 levels featured an oscillating tank operating a clone machine in one corner of the level. Slight smile

Levels with a minimalist concept always have great potential.

A 9x9 level is one of those concepts.

- Madhav.

I won't lie, I unashamedly stole that tank oscillator idea from Vague Dream and used it in other places in tensorpudding-1 quite often. The block-on-blue-wall trick that Once Upon A Troubadour uses I use a lot as well. I really like my Unwanted Guest but I don't think that it has the same rewards as what I got from when I finally figured out the trick to Vague Dream.
Just gonna add there's a series of these in Joe's CCLP1 Entries, which are sokoban-style puzzles, but each with their own twist. One has no monsters, one has a pink ball, one has teeth. Otherwise, the concepts are the same.

Anyone up for making some joint 9x9 levels?
Read the sentence below this one.

You owe me $20.

Read the sentence above this one.
I have one in TomP4.dat and it's pretty fun making levels that size instead of being tempted to take up the whole 32x32 grid. Slight smile
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
I like 9x9 levels quite a lot actually. Though I don't have that many in any of my sets, I do have other ranges of small sized levels that don't take up the entire 32x32 grid. Most of these can be found in JoshL3 of course Slight smile I have a few in JoshL2 as well.
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon