making a"Walls of" of a random level
I know y'all are busy, you can respond whenever you get the chance, but I would like to ask the community something because there seems to be no written rules about it.

Okay, is it okay to make your own "walls of" level of a random user-created level?

I understand plagiarism is a concern, but I think that it could work given the right circumstances.

Like making the level objective, concept, or contents totally different from the level you got the wall layout from. Also, no more than one level from a set or creator, or no levelsets made mostly of random "walls of" levels (of course, official sets are an exception).

I don't plan on making a level of this type, but I have been tempted to do one or two just as an experiment to see if I were capable of leaving in just the walls and turn it into something totally different, and just as fun, but I was like "maybe it's not something that's going to be well recieved".

So what does everyone else think?
Glider
First chipster ever reported to fill ON THE ROCKS with blocks.

HASHLEVELS.dat (49 CC1 levels)
Yes it is totally acceptable to design walls of levels out of other designer's levels. It is actually a really common thing to do in level design nowadays.

For reference, there are designers who have made sets out of the wall arrangements from most of the official sets, all of which were originally custom levels (excluding CC1 and 2). They include:

Joshua Bone's Walls of Chip's Challenge 1, J.B. Lewis' Walls of CCLP1, Jeffrey's Walls of CCLP4, my own Walls of CCLP3, a few others who have done Walls of CCLP2 but are incomplete, and some have also done and/or attempted CCLP1 and CCLP3 as well.

And at this moment in time, I am even in a collaboration project with another designer that is a walls of set! So you are more than welcome to make any level out of any wall template you feel like. There are no rules against it and I personally highly encourage you doing so. Slight smile
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Okay, then maybe I just haven't come across any level with an identical walll layout as another, yet, or wasn't paying enough attention. And as such, I assumed it's something people shy away from (except with official sets).

Thanks for the info.
Glider
First chipster ever reported to fill ON THE ROCKS with blocks.

HASHLEVELS.dat (49 CC1 levels)
Quote:On 9/26/2019 at 9:05 PM, Flareon350 said:

And at this moment in time, I am even in a collaboration project with another designer that is a walls of set! So you are more than welcome to make any level out of any wall template you feel like. There are no rules against it and I personally highly encourage you doing so. Slight smile

If it'll be a CC1 set that'd be great if not that's okay.
Quote:10 hours ago, Hash1 said:

Okay, then maybe I just haven't come across any level with an identical walll layout as another, yet, or wasn't paying enough attention.

CCLP3's Jumble wall layout has actually been used up to 5 different times, 3 of were by myself. And one of those levels made it in CCLP4!

Quote:2 hours ago, mmoraleta said:

If it'll be a CC1 set that'd be great if not that's okay.

It is in fact a CC1 set.
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
I myself am not too much of a designer, however I tried to make a WoCCLP1 set but lost motivation and interest due to lack of ideas. Still on my PC though.

I'd be happy to playtest and or go through the iterative releases if that approach is taken.