CC2 Community Pack Survey
Set Name

CC2LP1 sounds perfect to me. Giving it a different, non-numbered name would make it seem like a custom set and not an official set. Granted, many CC1 custom sets are numbered, such as the JoshL series or the Ultimate Chip series, but many CC2 sets seem to not take this approach. Therefore, I believe having a name like CC2LP1, or at least a name with the number 1 at the end, will do.

Number of Levels

I think following the trend of the CCLPx sets is the way to go here - 149 levels per set. I generally don't agree with the people who say CC2LP1 should have 150 levels, but to be honest, I'm not sure why. Perhaps I've just grown too used to the 149 level trend. I would say 200 since that's how many CC2 had, but while I used to think this back when CC2LP1 discussion first began, my thoughts have changed. 200 levels is far too excessive, especially for only the first pack when not many CC2 custom levels are available.

CC1 Boot Rules

I say we disallow levels with this rule. Having some levels with the rule and some levels without only get confusing, especially since not a single level in the main game used the CC1 Boots rule.

Viewport Size

Keep the viewport at 10x10 for consistency's sake. The main game's inconsistency with viewport sizes is very annoying and I think that having a consistent viewing area will be much more satisfying. If a certain level requires the 9x9 viewport to keep certain things out of sight, perhaps the level may need some slight tweakage. For example, if you don't want the player to see the border or another area, just expand the map a little bit and you can have a 10x10 viewport without problems - as long as the original designer gives permission, of course. Plus, the majority of levels built for CC2 use a 10x10 viewport anyways, save for maybe a few CC1 ports.

Map Size

This is a tough question. I'd say something bigger than 40x40 is okay once in a while, and if it's just for aesthetic purposes it's certainly fine. However, we should make sure we choose only a few levels larger than 40x40, perhaps 5 at most. If the actual area where most gameplay occurs is less than 40x40, then I see no reason to bring the level down just for that reason alone.

Zero-Directional Blocks

These blocks may not be possible in the standard editor, but they are possible in CCCreator and are surprisingly useful. They can be used as walls that only bowling balls can destroy, and they can be used to create awesome aesthetics - as seen by the center area of Repeaters in Walls of Chip's Challenge. Therefore, I will allow them - but only if a proper tutorial is provided on how they function.

Blank No Signs

Fill in the Blanks from TSAlpha is a level that deserves a chance in CC2LP1, and the fact that it uses a tile that can't be placed in the ingame editor shouldn't bring it down. Similar to the zero-directional block, though, these should only be used if a proper tutorial is provided on them.

Other Hex Edited Tiles

This is where things get complicated. Some hex edited tiles can be used to the designer's advantage, like seen in Enter the Void from TSAlpha; but some can be used to mislead the player, like fake fire tiles or fake gravel tiles. Overall, I generally think my answer to this question is no because of the negative effects that come from hex editing tiles.

Solutions

The levels should all come with built-in solutions. Uploading a levelset to the Steam Workshop requires every level to have a solution, so if we plan to upload this there, this step will be required.

Inaccessible Flags

I see no good reason to disallow inaccessible bonus flags. If used correctly, they can create a very interesting aesthetic. Maybe I should design a level with unreachable bonus flags as an aesthetic...

Hide Logic

The Hide Logic option can be used to create some very cool mechanisms without putting everything underneath canopies and having wire tunnels everywhere. An example is the first level I posted in Discord, Slimepocalypse, where I used the Hide Logic option to hide inverters that were cloning blobs every 2 ticks. Therefore, I believe the Hide Logic option should be allowed.

RNG Setting

The RNG setting should either be 4 Patterns or Deterministic. In the spirit of CC1 Lynx mode and the original Lynx game, there should be no true RNG involved. If a level has lots of blobs, walkers and green teleports, I shouldn't feel discouraged from optimizing it just because the RNG is set to Extra Random.

Level Music

How about we meet in the middle and replace the Scott Joplin MIDIs, but keep the Windows music? In addition, the Windows music doesn't loop correctly in the main CC2 game, so I'd like the music to alternate every level as it does in the original. Perhaps that sounds like a minor nitpick, but I've seen some far nitpickier claims in this thread.

Level Comments

I don't really have a preference about retaining level comments, personally. Even the main CC2 game has comments on some levels, so why not?

I hope my feedback will be useful in the construction of the final set. Perhaps I'll even get a few levels in myself... Who knows?
What should the set be named?

<i>I personally think "Chip's Challenge Level Pack Alpha" could work.</i>

<br style="background-color:#ffffff;color:#353c41;font-size:13px;" />How many levels?

<br style="background-color:#ffffff;color:#353c41;font-size:13px;" />Allow levels with CC1 boot rules?

Definitely not.

<br style="background-color:#ffffff;color:#353c41;font-size:13px;" />Consistent viewport size (9x9 or 10x10)?

10x10

<br style="background-color:#ffffff;color:#353c41;font-size:13px;" />Map size limit? Namely, should the 40x40 limit from the CC2 main game be retained?

I don't think a limit is necessary, especially if a lot of the space is used for logic mechanisms.

<br style="background-color:#ffffff;color:#353c41;font-size:13px;" />Should any tiles or techniques be banned?

I like the blank "no" signs. I am not exactly sure what the zero-directional blocks would be used for though. It's probably best if the set isn't glitch reliant. I could support block slapping being utilized if the technique can be introduced.
MY WEAPON SUCKS!
Quote:On 10/15/2018 at 10:39 PM, Indyindeed said:

CC1 Boot Rules

I say we disallow levels with this rule. Having some levels with the rule and some levels without only get confusing, especially since not a single level in the main game used the CC1 Boots rule.

Viewport Size

Keep the viewport at 10x10 for consistency's sake. The main game's inconsistency with viewport sizes is very annoying and I think that having a consistent viewing area will be much more satisfying. If a certain level requires the 9x9 viewport to keep certain things out of sight, perhaps the level may need some slight tweakage. For example, if you don't want the player to see the border or another area, just expand the map a little bit and you can have a 10x10 viewport without problems - as long as the original designer gives permission, of course. Plus, the majority of levels built for CC2 use a 10x10 viewport anyways, save for maybe a few CC1 ports.

Now, it's worth noting that CC1 Boot Rules was an option added shortly after the game was released and as such wasn't an option for the original level designers for CC2. Chuck threw it in after uploading the first version of dat2c2g for set conversions, as at the time nobody really thought that a conversion would be an endeavor and that boot dropping breaking levels would be the main concern. Though most levels don't use this option, I think there's some strong potential for ideas that only work in this space.

As for viewports...I can definitely say that I've been designing with the 10x10 in mind but I'd hate to rule out a level (or have to enlarge the scale, which can screw with aesthetics or other balancing) just because it elected to use the smaller viewport. IMO just because most levels use the 10x10 naturally doesn't mean that 9x9 should be banned, as there could definitely be a good reason to use it.

Heck, I even have a level that uses Hide Logic that wouldn't work without that option. Who's to say a good idea wouldn't benefit from having 9x9 instead?

Ultimately my view is still much the same- allow basically anything to be in the final set from the start. If it's not liked and it doesn't do well in voting, then it doesn't end up in the set. But I don't see a compelling reason to flat out bar anything outside of maybe "voodoo" tiles.
My CC1 levelsets: (25, 150, 149, 149, 149, 149, 60, 149, 43, +2 = 1025 total)
25 levels.dat | Ultimate Chip.dat | Ultimate Chip 2.ccl | Ultimate Chip 3.dac | Ultimate Chip 4.zip | Ultimate Chip 5 | Ultimate Chip 6 Walls of CCLP4 i^e
IHNN-Ultimate: 147 of my best levels (through UC5), plus 2 entirely new ones. May be overhauled soon.

My CC2 levelsets: (100, ???)
IHNN1 | IHNN2

My CC score tracker. Has lots of cool automated features!
Twitch | Youtube | Twitter
Quote:2 hours ago, Sparkman said:

What should the set be named?

<i>I personally think "Chip's Challenge Level Pack Alpha" could work.</i>

CCLPα actually sounds like a perfect name, and far better than CC2LP1. I fully support this!

Though I suppose in writing we'd just say CCLPa, or rather CCLPA since the CC2 font is all capital letters.
I agree that basically anything should be allowed; if it doesn't work or isn't liked then people won't vote for it.

I say 150-200 levels. I think it was J.B. that said somewhere that you almost need that many levels just to explore all the many possibilities within the game. I thought the main game's number of levels felt good. One important thing that helps that though; is there were quite a few small levels. If the game mostly consists of large levels (which I sincerely hope it does not) then 200 will seem like far too many. Note: not that large levels are bad, but I'd like to see a nice mix of large and small. That's one thing I really liked about the main game.

Things like the directional blocks and blank no signs should be allowed but more unusual and unpredictable stuff like glitch tiles I say no, or at the very least kept to a decorative use.

I think tutorial levels ought to be made. But made with a lot of care. As I though the tutorial levels of the main game seemed a bit lengthy and tedious at times, yet having a level focusing on just one or a few game mechanics would require 20+ lesson levels. Levels focusing on several concepts each might work. If you took the lesson levels from CC1 and did it that way (continuing with the CC2 mechanics) then you'd maybe need another at least 7 lesson levels making 14 total?

Another interesting idea I had was the make a 'tutorial pack'. Which would basically be a level pack of just lesson levels, designed especially for beginners. This way you could have as many levels as you want and get as in-depth and helpful as you needed and little or no lesson levels in the actual CC2 community pack.Instructing new players to play the lesson pack first, of course.

The Warp exits concept sounds really neat (I haven't experimented with it much myself) but I think it should be an optional find/challenge.

Custom music would be really nice; it's just a matter of finding music that can escape the copyright Nazi's....
my CC2 sets: Mobi's Challenge (166 levels)
Walls of CCLP2 (V2) presently: ~50 levels

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakwin Rinzai

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
-'The Dude' Lebowski
length: between 149 and 200 levels (inclusive)
name: CC2LP1 should be a designation for it, but an alternate name is okay.
CC1 boots: yes
viewport: any
map size: any
bans: anything that's expected to be patched later should be banned; everything else is fine (with proper intros)
solutions: yes, for workshop (unless it becomes official dlc or something)
inaccessible flags: yes
hide logic: no invisible buttons please; otherwise sure
warp exits: yes
RNG setting: any
designer-chosen music: yes, unless it's an in-game track Teeth (no preference)
level comments: keep, sans profanity and such

I don't think reducing the size of CC2LP1 will get it out any sooner; post-voting assembly, though nontrivial, was definitely not the biggest chunk of time in CCLP4's construction. That being said, i'm not opposed to going down from 200. Really, i think the size of the set should be (at least somewhat) determined by what ends up doing well in voting and how long those levels are on average.
CCMiniLP, my CCLP1 submissions. Outdated, not recommended.
CCSignificantlyLargerLP, my CCLP4 submissions. More current than my main set.
Consistent Inconsistency (ongoing), my main CC1 custom set. (discussion)
RyanJ1.dat (ongoing), my main CC2 custom set. (discussion)
Mystery Project (unfinished) (previews)

YouTube | Twitch | Steam
Quote:On 10/27/2018 at 5:11 AM, random 8 said:

bans: anything that's expected to be patched later should be banned; everything else is fine (with proper intros)
hide logic: no invisible buttons please; otherwise sure

Quote:On 10/3/2018 at 4:08 AM, random 8 said:

Hidden logic: it was fine for official CC1 sets, so i don't see a reason to avoid that here. However, hidden buttons that otherwise would be visible to the player (as opposed to being in an off-screen mechanism, for example) should be banned because that may or may not get changed in an update.

As far as I can see, nothing is expected to be patched at all yet especially nothing which will break existing levels - in your example a new button tile which is always visible or a new semi hidden logic mode could easily be introduced without breaking dozens of existing levels, otherwise we'll end in a catch-22, e.g. what if Chip in some version will be able to go on fire tiles without fire boots... Raised eyebrow
You say that, but the game did get some updates earlier this year (and it wasn't all centered around the Workshop).
CCMiniLP, my CCLP1 submissions. Outdated, not recommended.
CCSignificantlyLargerLP, my CCLP4 submissions. More current than my main set.
Consistent Inconsistency (ongoing), my main CC1 custom set. (discussion)
RyanJ1.dat (ongoing), my main CC2 custom set. (discussion)
Mystery Project (unfinished) (previews)

YouTube | Twitch | Steam
What should the set be named? I'm fine with a recognizable name like CC2LP1.

How many levels? No strong opinion on this, but somewhere between 149 and 200 sounds good.

Allow levels with CC1 boot rules? I tend towards no, but exceptions could be made for levels that make good use of it.

Consistent viewport size (9x9 or 10x10)? Using both in the same set is fine with me.

Map size limit? Namely, should the 40x40 limit from the CC2 main game be retained? Allow levels up to 100x100. Levels that overstay their welcome by being too large will be voted out anyway.

Should any tiles or techniques be banned? Some "unsupported" tiles are innocuous, like the zero-directional block or the blank "no" sign, but hex editing can lead to weird and wild tiles, as seen in TSAlpha's Enter the Void. Don't ban tiles that can be useful (this includes the zero-directional block and the blank "no" sign). Stuff that appears to be bugged or has very obtuse behaviour should probably be avoided. I haven't actually played any custom levels that have voodoo tiles, but they probably go in this category.

There also are some non-obvious techniques, like block slapping and the gimmicks in TSAlpha's Great Job CC2! levels, that may not be well-suited for an official pack. Maybe we should stick to tradition and keep that no levels should require block slapping to be solvable. For bonuses and easter eggs, every sensible technique should be allowed. Levels that require blowing up clone machines and putting different things on them to be solvable should be allowed since CC2 has a couple of them. Maybe we should even allow splitscreen levels. I don't know enough about warp exits to comment on that. Multiple hints is fine.

Any other standards that should be set in place? In general, I'm in favour of having fewer constraints so that people can be more creative.
Quote:3 hours ago, rubenspaans said:

Maybe we should stick to tradition and keep that no levels should require block slapping to be solvable.

Two Sets of Rules requires a block slap to solve in Lynx.

Beyond that, I'm in the camp that as long as block slapping is mentioned as a thing that can be done before it's necessary to solve a level (which, I expect most levels would not require block slapping unless they're specifically built around it) then it's fair game.
My CC1 levelsets: (25, 150, 149, 149, 149, 149, 60, 149, 43, +2 = 1025 total)
25 levels.dat | Ultimate Chip.dat | Ultimate Chip 2.ccl | Ultimate Chip 3.dac | Ultimate Chip 4.zip | Ultimate Chip 5 | Ultimate Chip 6 Walls of CCLP4 i^e
IHNN-Ultimate: 147 of my best levels (through UC5), plus 2 entirely new ones. May be overhauled soon.

My CC2 levelsets: (100, ???)
IHNN1 | IHNN2

My CC score tracker. Has lots of cool automated features!
Twitch | Youtube | Twitter