Flareon1 feedback & discussion thread
Quote:Specifically, this level isn't special nor did I want it to be. I was not going for the best hook level ever, I wanted to make a different kind of sokoban to provide some variety in my set.

And as such I would argue, it can make the set as a whole better, yet isolated it didn't blew my mind. So I complete agree, a set needs this type of smaller and simpler levels Slight smile

Quote:So. Removing just a bit of walking would make it a stronger level? I really don't understand that personally but it is what it is. The level isn't centered by that and I don't think a bit of walking around should discredit how good of a level it is, at least to me.

Yes, e.g. placing a teleport at the start as a shortcut to the red key would improve the playing experience for me. And fair enough, it's nitpicking, and it is overall a good level. I hope I made clear, that it is in fact criticizing on a very high level...

Quote:I don't understand this 50-50 chance of dying you're referring to. I've played this level many times and had another person play this and neither of us know what this is. I have not had an issue with anything regarding this so can you elaborate on this?

Entering the top right area, you have to chose between going straight ahead to the right, up or down. There seems to be no reason to go down first, but if you choose to go right or down, you will get killed by fire boxes, and don't even see why, since the teeth mechanic is just visible if you choose to go up.

Quote:I know there will always be levels you won't enjoy and there will be some you'll enjoy, and that goes with every person who plays this set. I'm just getting the vibe that it's more on the unenjoyable side of the spectrum from you, disregarding your ratings.

The first part is true, that's good, and not everyone likes the same type of levels, that's something each one has to keep in mind. The second part is however wrong, I really enjoy playing through your levels Thumbs up

Quote:I can't remember the last level you said you fully liked and had nothing bad to say about it, if you have at all.

Well, if I just scroll up a bit, RECKLESS and FOILED AGAIN got perfect scores, both five from five points for design as well as fun B)
40 WORLD OF A THOUSAND FLAMES

Since I was stuck at the bomb, in front of the green key room, I left this one out last time; after another look today, I realized what to do, but it is a bit mean.

How should you know at the start of the level, that you have to destroy it, by cloning one more fire box, than you need for the yellow key - yes you can guess it, but there is no way, that to know it for sure...

Despite this, and I'll just rate it as puzzle difficulty, it is a great level Slight smile<span style="font-size:10px;"><span style="font-size:10px;">

5/5/3/4

From your new levels I had just a look at LOCK BUSTER - top puzzle level Thumbs up

5/4/1/5
Glad you liked both those levels. They are actually ports from my CC1 set - JoshL6.

Anyway, the set has been updated. No new levels yet, but level 47 (formally ICE BLOCK BODYGUARD) has been redesigned and made more straightforward, as well as renamed. It retains the same concept as the original, just executed much better Slight smile Your save file might still read it as the level's original title.

Enjoy!
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Just posting in this thread to say I am still working on levels for this set!

I took it upon myself to make a spreadsheet of this set's construction for myself; for me to keep track of what types of levels I create (so I don't create too many of one type of level) and whether or not I want to keep certain levels. This will also help me with how I want to rearrange all levels when nearing completion, which I also decided that this set will contain a total of 149 levels because I refuse to break the classic amount of levels from CC1 sets. In addition, the start of the set will contain simpler, tutorial type levels which CC2 ultimately lacked a lot of with certain tiles (like the hook). The overall difficulty I am aiming for is easy-moderate levels, with the exception of a few hard levels (maybe 5-8 at most). These hard levels, however, should be no harder than DUNK TANK, assuming you've played that level. Another thing I decided is I will include music from other video games of my liking to go along with my set specifically. Though I will probably still keep the CC2 music here anyway. So if you know me well, you should expect a lot of Pokemon themes here Tongue

Anyway out of the current 55 levels, I have 5 marked for removal and 1 as a maybe keep/remove. However, they will remain in the set until I have enough levels to replace them. That being said, I most likely will not update Flareon1 for a long time until I reach 149 levels. So be sure to leave any kind of feedback of what exists so far and that will help me out with what to keep, fix, or remove.

The levels I am removing as of now include:

GREEN APPLE HARVEST - tedious and not fun at all

CLOCK EXPERIMENT - was more of an experimental level

VOLCANIC WASTELAND - way too large

IRIDESCENT - too many design flaws

WORLD OF A THOUSAND FLAMES - decided not to have levels with CC1 boot rules in this set and changing that here would break this level badly

Levels I may keep/remove:

DETONATOR FEVER - good concept but I feel it's not designed well enough. If people still want this in, I will redesign it a bit

Last thing worth noting, all removed levels will be placed in their own set that is currently unnamed and nonexistent, for that matter. Even though they have reasons for being removed, I still want to keep everything I considered for this set, to better improve future custom CC2 sets of my creation, if any. Flareon2 is confirmed to be a thing by the way, also hello.

Anyway stay tuned for more news. If you want to know anything else, comment here. I will post level previews of what I make in the meantime since updates here won't happen for a while! Thanks for all the feedback and insight! Flareon

tl;dr version:

- Made a spreadsheet to better assist me with set's construction

- Set will have 149 levels total, with tutorial type levels at the start, a rearrangement of mostly everything seen so far, and include different music

- Won't update this set until 149 levels have been reached

- Overall difficulty is aimed to be easy-moderate with very few hard levels

- Leave any kind of feedback in the meantime

- Expect level previews every so often

- Removed levels confirmed to be in their own set

- Flareon2 confirmed
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

I don't think there is anything wrong with mixing in some levels with CC1 boot rules at all B)

DETONATOR FEVER is a nice relaxing level - keep it in the set Rolling eyes

And some words on your new levels:

YOU FIND YOURSELF IN A ROOM
Some of the rooms are well made, especially the first one is a cool puzzle. Not to sure about the ghost on speed, but not too hard, just a bit of timing, so ok. The ball room has no purpose at all.
4/3/3/4

FOREST HUB
A good level and a fun to play one Slight smile
4/3/2/5

GHOST WORK
Hmmm... - pure trial and error through hidden information. The boots should imo be the first to drop, otherwise it is a test of patience as well, and at least I tried all first drops, before thinking about them being placed further down in the stack.
1/1/2/1

TRAIN NETWORK CONTROL UNIT
A nice easy level, however, in the end nothing too special about it.
3/1/1/2
Quote:I don't think there is anything wrong with mixing in some levels with CC1 boot rules at all B)

DETONATOR FEVER is a nice relaxing level - keep it in the set Rolling eyes

And some words on your new levels:

YOU FIND YOURSELF IN A ROOM

Some of the rooms are well made, especially the first one is a cool puzzle. Not to sure about the ghost on speed, but not too hard, just a bit of timing, so ok. The ball room has no purpose at all.

4/3/3/4

FOREST HUB

A good level and a fun to play one Slight smile

4/3/2/5

GHOST WORK

Hmmm... - pure trial and error through hidden information. The boots should imo be the first to drop, otherwise it is a test of patience as well, and at least I tried all first drops, before thinking about them being placed further down in the stack.

1/1/2/1

TRAIN NETWORK CONTROL UNIT

A nice easy level, however, in the end nothing too special about it.

3/1/1/2

Okay I'll keep Detonator Fever then.

51. I found the ghost room hilarious. I was aware the ball room isn't necessary so that will get fixed.

52. Yeah I like this one a lot glad you did as well Slight smile

53. Ghostwork is meant to be a pure joke type level, which is why the hint is what it is. Tongue

55. Nothing special? It's a new, unexplored, legit concept that I found pretty interesting and puzzling. Not to mention I kept it contained. Poor ratings in my opinion.
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

#55: Sounds like the intended solution is something a bit more complicated then... Raised eyebrow

What I did is just run over the tracks to switch them, than clone a tank and exit, or repeat 3 more times to get all bonuses (a bit tedious but doable). The helmet, I thought, is just distraction.
Quote:#55: Sounds like the intended solution is something a bit more complicated then... Raised eyebrow

What I did is just run over the tracks to switch them, than clone a tank and exit, or repeat 3 more times to get all bonuses (a bit tedious but doable). The helmet, I thought, is just distraction.

That is the intended solution, it's not meant to be overly complex or anything. Had I made it larger it wouldn't have been enjoyable. The helmet is actually suppose to help prevent you from dying by a tank, in case you want to lure a tank as you're switching the tracks. Not necessary but there if needed.

I just felt the concept was unique and new as I didn't think it was possible to switch the train tracks with the RxR tool. But since it is, here's this level.
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

I agree, the size of the level is fine and can't remember seeing the exact same concept in any level, however really similar ideas are found in some levels, e.g. the last part in RETURN STRATEGIES (JBoneWOCC)

So the rating might be a bit on the low side for the level... Confused

In a way the sad part is, that there is not more feedback on cc2 levels generally, so it seems like my ratings count a lot more than they should, it's just one opinion among many Tongue

And they just reflect how the first <span style="font-size:10px;">playthrough of a level feels to me, they are not <span style="font-size:10px;"><span style="font-size:10px;"><span style="font-size:10px;">objective...

I still think the concept would work even better in a level with multiple different puzzles than as a stand alone one, as there is the risk of being not interesting enough since it's relativity easy, but this is true for a lot of easy or tutorial style levels if just considered isolated and not in the context of the whole set, where they might be exactly a nice breather level after a heavy hitter Wink or just be a tutorial to a certain mechanic, or meant mainly for beginners,...