CCLP1 Voting Pack News and Releases
Quote:That's an excellent point, but I think there's also something to be said about levels that could do well outside their "stated" purpose (for instance, a lesson level). I completely agree that "Right-Roving Monsters" wasn't suitable as a lesson level, but I think it has potential elsewhere later on in the set based on what it is, though it still isn't in my personal top tier.
Yeah, but it just left a bad taste in my mouth and I just didn't like it. I did feel like it was close to being a good level though.

Quote:I guess I'm just a bit concerned that we're going to end up with homogenous voting results like CCLP3's if the current voting trend keeps up. Despite the fact that CCLP1 is designed to accomplish what CC1 did, I fear that if we were approaching CCLP1 voting from the standpoint of having played CCLP2 and CCLP3 only and were to encounter the exact CC1 levels that a lot of first-time players found memorable, we'd probably downvote all of those levels too just because we didn't find them "interesting enough" compared to other levels that are completely different and ultimately aren't proper bases for comparison. And while I certainly understand that we're also trying to exceed the standard that CC1 set, it would be a shame to do so at the expense of variety.
I don't know how other people are voting but it would be a shame if a "beginners set" was too hard for beginners, or there wasn't enough variety. That's why I agree the staff should be able to have the final say as to what makes it in, what doesn't, and to take some liberties they didn't for previous CCLP's because of this one's special purpose.

And I'm almost done with Flouncy so just hold on.

~Bowman
~Bowman
We've now got 11 votes on nearly all Flouncy levels (except Chamber and Water Bottle, which each have 10), which means...the Tungsten Pack has now been unlocked! Slight smile Have fun playing, everyone!

NOTE: For those who have played the original versions of these levels, you may notice that there have been changes made (with designer permission!) to levels 19, 27, 35, 36, 39, and 44 to remove some busts and easily fixed annoyances ahead of time. Slight smile If you had already rated the levels beforehand, you may want to play them again.

ANOTHER NOTE: Our most voted levels so far are Around and Again (Cardboard #3) and Aych Two Oh (Cardboard #6), each with 17 votes!
Should we vote for our own levels? So far I've been skipping my levels in the voting packs to avoid bias (Which is one reason why Water Bottle didn't get as many votes as most of the other levels), but if it helps speed up the voting process, should we be voting levels we have made too?
Please do! Everyone else is voting on their own levels as well, so you could say that by doing so, you'd actually be balancing everything out. Slight smile
I see that the topics in the CCLP1 Voting forum are unlocked, but we still can't reply to the topics there. Could we make new threads in this forum to discuss each individual pack, as this thread will become ridiculous over time otherwise?

Some Flouncy comments:

#18 (Beans on a Broomstick) - I would like to update this level of mine and move the green door from under the block to be visible by moving half of the level east. I hadn't realized that flicking the block off the door onto the trap button doesn't activate the trap button, and anyway it's a bit confusing with the hidden lock.

#32 (Walk the line) - perhaps intentional, but once you get the suction boots, you can simply walk up the ffs to the exit.

#33 (Itemswap) - again maybe intentional, but you can immediately go get the green key through the pop-up.

#34 (Gratuity) needs traps under the two clone blocks (which otherwise can be moved in lynx), and possibly one under the unnecessary block at (18,23).

#49 (Don't try to Find the Answer...) - I found the answer.
Quote:I see that the topics in the CCLP1 Voting forum are unlocked, but we still can't reply to the topics there. Could we make new threads in this forum to discuss each individual pack, as this thread will become ridiculous over time otherwise?

I second that. I think that the voting threads should remain locked - for sanctity's sake. If we could create a new subforum in CCZone Voting, something like "CCLP1 Voting Packs discussions" and a unique thread for each pack, we can stop this thread, and go to a more organised discussion area.

Also, could you add a small indicator as to how many levels we have voted on in a pack? I missed a couple of levels, and I realised it only after I found the omission by chance.
- budugoo
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll be sure to set up these discussion threads in a new forum this weekend. In the meantime, though, we've had ten Giraffe completions, so we are debuting the Eggplant Pack tonight! Enjoy Slight smile
Finally finished the Shampoo Pack and submitted my votes for that one Slight smile

Moving onto the infamous Cardboard Pack now.
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
I need to pose a question to the headmasters. I've already stated I'm not exactly a beginner but I'm not a pro either. Because of different reasons I usually play a level in this fashion;

I look around the level and observe, then try different things, then once I get the idea I ‘keep trying’. But if it’s a level which involves a long pathway of challenges and I die over twenty times, I’ll “create” my own checkpoints. I edit chip’s position, the chips left, time etc and go from there. For me, it’s all about the experience and the fun and mystery of exploring a level and the technique too. I once and while try to optimize or just find different routes. But spend an hour doing the same thing over and over again because I pressed up instead of down two spaces from the exit I shalt not, all the fun disappears for me when that happens. I’m not one of those ‘I’m determined to get this done’ type. So I may find a level good, that without the editor I would not find good…

So basically; is it okay that I test these levels in this fashion? I probably just won’t do it otherwise.

Obviously I don’t think all levels are long enough to do this and I’ve already played some very decent levels of both kind. IT seems there are plenty of excellent levels to choose from.

This whole thing also helped inspire me on my own projects so thanks.
my CC2 sets: Mobi's Challenge (166 levels)
Walls of CCLP2 (V2) presently: ~50 levels

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakwin Rinzai

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
-'The Dude' Lebowski
Nothing's stopping you from using whatever method you'd like to use to judge the levels; however, using such a method to solve the levels is considered cheating. There's no requirement to actually solve each level before you rate it; however, I think a good rule of thumb is to play the level until you are confident that your opinion is informed enough to rate it. It sounds like you're already doing that. If you have to resort to cheating in order to solve the level, though, then it sounds like it's not too hard to decide what the rating would be, especially given that first-time players won't necessarily have an editor in front of them with which they can make such adjustments or look at the entire map.