CCLP1 Voting Pack News and Releases
Ok guys. Me and J.B had a long discussion yesterday whether to do this or not but we've decided to reveal the current top 20 levels in CCLP1 voting to you. Thumbs up

[Click to Show Content]
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
Haha...nice one, Tom!

I will say this, though: yesterday, in my response to Madhav on this thread, I initially stated that it's much more difficult to affect the average rating of a level when it has a lot of votes compared to when it has just a few votes. While this is certainly true, every vote does count, and I was reminded of this over the weekend when the level at the top of the list, which held an incredibly impressive 4.91 average with 11 votes, got two 2s, knocking it out of first place and down to an average of 4.46. Every vote definitely counts, everyone.
I'm finding it a little difficult to rate on the 1-5 scale; My first impressions are generally just yes or no. Fortunately (I guess considering the number of levels) most of them are no. I'm not saying they're bad levels of course, just not appropriate for CCLP1. I'm reluctant to rate a level 1 out of kindness but I guess we should be as honest as possible. I guess it also helps that I haven't played most of these before and don't know who made them.
my CC2 sets: Mobi's Challenge (166 levels)
Walls of CCLP2 (V2) presently: ~50 levels

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakwin Rinzai

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
-'The Dude' Lebowski
It's been a little quiet around here these last few days, so I thought I'd share a few of my personal favorites from the last three packs that haven't been talked about too much...

- Where's That Darn... (Tungsten #6): This level is yet another example of the power of simplicity. A couple of days ago, I heard a rather interesting definition of the word from Apple during their unveiling of iOS 7: "bringing order to complexity." I think the same principle applies to Chip's Challenge, a game that carries with it much more complexity for beginners than we as expert players or veteran designers sometimes care to admit. This level, however, accomplishes that goal beautifully. The toggle door double-maze concept has been done many times, but this iteration of it is fun and engaging, with a toggle button visible at the start that ends up not being the end goal in a surprise twist that is thankfully not cruel at all. The maze itself doesn't feel like it goes on forever and overextends its welcome. In fact, the second maze, where all the chips can be collected, gives the player a somewhat greater sense of freedom after feeling confined to the narrow hallways of the first. Great stuff.

- (Ir)reversible (Tungsten #15): I feel like any CCLP voting process naturally tends to favor "high concept" levels such as these because they feel fresh to us as veterans. This particular level, however, plays around with a concept expertly without resorting to meaningless trickery: basically, you must decide which of the two options in front of you isn't a one-way path so you can collect the chip there and return to take the one-way path. If this sounds like 50/50 guesswork, then no worries - each of the options presents with it a way to see which option is the “correct” one. The end result is fun and captivating.

- Elevators (Tungsten #16): Sometimes I wonder if we as a community have gotten to the point where we fail on a level through no fault of our own and immediately shove it aside, saying, “That’s guesswork!” without really seeing what the level is all about. I hope that won’t be the case with this level - because although it does feature a bit of trial and error, the primary gameplay mechanic is so simple and easy to understand that finding the solution isn’t really all that much of a chore. In fact, there’s a logical consistency to the path that must be taken that’s pretty neat to discover. The short length and the force floor slides outside the playable area that define the directions in which the balls are cloning are also a wonderful touch.

- Jeepers Creepers (Tungsten #20): I’m afraid this level will get overlooked purely on the basis that it looks just like Spooks...except with blue walls instead of dirt. The truth is, this level actually plays much differently since there are real blue walls with which to contend. And although they may not be quite as many in number as one might see in a typical ChipMine-esque level, they work so seamlessly with the fake wall “boundaries” adjacent to the areas in which the teeth reside to create a level that’s much more rigid than meets the eye. The ultimate challenge here is to avoid the natural inclination that accompanies a normal blue wall maze - to “try everything,” as one LPer put it. While this is necessary to find one’s way around, it ultimately leads to one’s demise if attempted near a teeth monster. Knowing when to push and when not to is paramount here, and maintaining that sense of alertness to make it out alive is a difficult yet reasonable challenge, one that distinguishes this level from its CC1 counterpart.

- Frozen Pipelines (Eggplant #32): Ice mazes have kind of fallen into the same category as blue wall mazes to many players: they represent the tedium of testing everything before the level can be completed. What elevated the ice mazes of CC1 above the norm was that they actually carried a lot of artistic merit. The designs of I Slide and Ice Cube are absolutely gorgeous. This level has its own unique design style that puts it above its ice maze peers, with criss-crossing paths meant to represent pipes and various 3x3 “stations” where you can choose from different paths. What makes this network of paths so neat to navigate is that each of the branches from the 3x3 stations is non-complicated and simple to follow; some of the paths lead to entirely different stations, and enough of these exist to make going back to where you started much less frustrating than it could have been. It’s also refreshing to see an ice maze that has an exterior area that’s not icy at all. All in all, a wonderful level.

- Meteor Shower (Vermillion #12): CC1’s dodging challenges weren’t anything terribly lofty, and that was probably for the better. Levels like Underground were so simple but carried with them a strategic element that was often hidden to beginners and yet was still reasonable because the environment was so open - a stark contrast to the claustrophobic confines that tend to define dodging and puzzle levels in this day and age. In the world of precision dodging, a level like this is a godsend. It's beautiful, it's fun, and there's lots of room to actually run around and dodge. Definitely a winner.

- The Pace Quickens (Vermillion #28): Ever wonder what would happen if each of the little rooms in Oorto Geld toggled at a different speed and had a different number of monsters inside? This level pretty much answers that by forcing the player to run through clone buttons that clone blocks affecting the speed at which a fireball toggles the walls. Each room successively gets "faster," with more toggling and more monsters to consider. The end result is a classic example that is fun and simple while knowing just how far to go without being annoying.

- Spumoni (Vermillion #41): This level has been one of my favorites in the voting pool since I first played it; it's very tricky, but not overly so. It's hard to describe its basic premise in so many words, but what it essentially boils down to is traversing a square of fire, water, and force floors with different combinations of boots. The challenge is knowing what order in which to approach each set of boots while considering where one can go with, say, only flippers and fire boots and that chips protected by combinations of force floors and the elements are awaiting at the bottom. While it may involve a little bit of trial and error, it's not terribly mean at all, and more than one solution actually exists. On top of that, the aesthetics of this level are just beautiful. Definitely a top candidate for CCLP1 and a great alternative to the typical Steam-like maze.
Quote:I- Frozen Pipelines (Eggplant #32): Ice mazes have kind of fallen into the same category as blue wall mazes to many players: they represent the tedium of testing everything before the level can be completed. What elevated the ice mazes of CC1 above the norm was that they actually carried a lot of artistic merit. The designs of I Slide and Ice Cube are absolutely gorgeous. This level has its own unique design style that puts it above its ice maze peers, with criss-crossing paths meant to represent pipes and various 3x3 “stations” where you can choose from different paths. What makes this network of paths so neat to navigate is that each of the branches from the 3x3 stations is non-complicated and simple to follow; some of the paths lead to entirely different stations, and enough of these exist to make going back to where you started much less frustrating than it could have been. It’s also refreshing to see an ice maze that has an exterior area that’s not icy at all. All in all, a wonderful level.

This made my day Slight smile
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Hey everyone! We're doing well in terms of votes for the first four voting packs, but the majority of levels in the second half of voting packs have had about half or more less votes than the first four. Starting from Lipstick and working up to Vermillion would help these levels gain ground to match the first half of voting pack levels. We are roughly around 120 votes off from 5000 already. That's quite a feat, but voting has been going slower as expected this second week, but still at a good pace. Keep it up guys, and remember it's when every level in the pack has a minimum of 10 votes which counts to releasing a new voting pack for your guys to try out. Keep going! Thumbs up
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
It's a gorgeous day here in Texas as we finally hit the ten-vote mark on the Lipstick Pack! At last, we have now unlocked Pack #9 for your enjoyment - the Popcorn Pack. Have fun playing! In the meantime, I'm already prepping Packs #13-16 for everyone - there are definitely some real gems here!
Thanks to Trevor's Eggplant completion, we now have 10 votes on it, which means...the Zephyr Pack has now been unlocked in time for the weekend! Slight smile Can Vermillion reach the same milestone too?
Thanks to Josh's Vermillion votes, we have now reached a minimum of ten votes for each level in that pack. So that means only one thing: the Helmet Pack has been released, with 50 new levels up for voting! I'm going to post a list of some of my favorites for this past wave of four packs sometime soon, but for now, enjoy and keep on voting Slight smile We had an excellent day on Saturday; let's keep up the momentum!
<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;background-color:transparent;">I’ve been asked what my favorites from this past wave of packs are, so as promised last night, I’ll post a few. Slight smile All of these levels have gotten 5s from me.

<span style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;background-color:transparent;">- Connect the Chips
<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:normal;font-weight:bold;background-color:transparent;"> (Popcorn #2): Here’s an interesting bit of trivia that some may not be aware of - the original version of this level didn’t use the “Burned Chip” image as the basis for its layout. Instead, it was a level almost entirely covered with pop-up walls with chips scattered around the map. I think this version works much better and is the epitome of what a pop-up wall maze should be: a challenge that provides the player with some degree of freedom in deciding where to go but also forces a certain route at the same time. Thankfully, the decision tree that could be drawn for a level like this is non-complicated, and once the layout is learned, even without knowledge of what it resembles, solving this level isn’t terribly difficult at all.

<span style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;background-color:transparent;">- The Snipers
<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:normal;font-weight:bold;background-color:transparent;"> (Popcorn #25): This is a really fun potential late-CCLP1 dodging candidate. The gimmick is simple: walk on ice/FFs while a teeth clones fireballs that are shot toward you. The actual solving of the level, however, requires some degree of strategy, as you don’t have the freedom that normally comes with walking in open spaces on ice. Instead, you have to sweep the room from side to side, using the chips as niches in which to hide. It’s a brilliant setup, and the fire in each room is used as an effective obstacle. Another great aspect of this level is its slightly easier (IMHO) second room, which is more of a linear path to walk than a maze. It’s refreshing to see a level that actually gets easier instead of harder toward the end, especially when dodging is involved.

<span style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;background-color:transparent;">- ToggleTank
<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:normal;font-weight:bold;background-color:transparent;"> (Popcorn #47): Excellent levels that focus on a singular concept tend to apply one of two design principles: either present one application of the concept in moderation, or present multiple applications of it that use the entire map effectively. This level settles for the former with its brilliant use of limited toggle button presses as an obstacle for sokoban puzzles, and it really pays off. The progressive difficulty is also used tastefully, with a final room that could have been ridiculously evil but still retains the level’s simplicity and reasonability. Another plus is that the mechanism for the toggle button presses (tanks being cloned) is actually visible! All in all, a neat puzzle level that would fit well into the 50s or 60s of CCLP1.

<span style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;background-color:transparent;">- 49 Cell
<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:normal;font-weight:bold;background-color:transparent;"> (Dragon #1): This level is the third in a series of four levels from its original set that uses this matriced design for various squared cell amounts (25, 36, 49, and 64). The first two levels are also great, and the last one is still good but starts to feel a bit too large and complicated. But this one definitely hits the sweet spot with respect to size and the amount of complication. There’s plenty of places to go, but you never feel overwhelmed, and thankfully, there’s no way to get permanently stuck. The design also allows the level to accomplish what a CC1 level like Trinity did without the long, winding paths - and that is a plus as well, especially when the force floors are already defining a maze.

<span style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;background-color:transparent;">- Squared in a Circl
<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:normal;font-weight:bold;background-color:transparent;">e (Dragon #19): As I mentioned in the description of ToggleTank, an excellent level that focuses on a singular concept can do so homogeneously while knowing how much is too much. This level is a terrific, beautiful example. I personally believe that sokoban-esque levels in CCLP1 shouldn’t reach the rigidity of a Warehouse II or Oracle II, and this level shows just how to make the initial phase of the sokoban look challenging while allowing the beginner to unravel the whole level like a sweater once those initial moves are made. The block-pushing doesn’t feel tedious, and the bit of teeth dodging at the end is quite easy - daredevils can try to sideswipe through the teeth, while beginners can lure it out into the empty room that used to be full of blocks and run back to the exit.

<span style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:normal;font-weight:bold;background-color:transparent;">-
<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;background-color:transparent;">Leave No Stone Unturned (Dragon #43): This is a great example of a potential “post-lesson” level for CCLP1 in that it teaches the player something without feeling like a "lesson." I think the use of blocks as bridging tools, bomb detonators, and (maybe) trap button holders is quite enough for the lesson levels without having to introduce the possibility that something could also be already hidden under them. This level takes that concept and presents it in such an easy-to-understand, friendly format that it’s just hard not to like it. Especially noteworthy is the hint that tells you right off the bat that you don’t have to worry about being killed by fire under a block in the level - because you get some fire boots! Also neat is that this level could potentially be used as a subtle introduction for bugs’ behavior with fire, which is used to great extent at the end.

<span style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;background-color:transparent;">- Slide Labyrinth
<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;background-color:transparent;">(Zephyr #3): With a more generous time limit, this is a real ice maze winner. The layout is beautiful and feels like a zoomed-in Amsterdam, which is really cool (no pun intended). The dodging challenges are quick and simple, and there are plenty of loops in the maze to make things not-so-linear and provide plenty of choices for you to choose from when you’re deciding where to go next. The teleports also introduce an element of disorientation that works well.

<span style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:normal;font-weight:bold;background-color:transparent;">-
<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;background-color:transparent;">The Maze That Turned On and Off (Zephyr #17): I’ll just be straight here - I absolutely love this level. The concept is brilliantly handled, and although it’s hard, it’s not long, and it’s easy to grasp. Part of me initially wished the maze was bigger so you could have more room in which to run around, but as I played it more, I began to realize that the smaller size allowed for easier familiarity with the layout. Much like The Snipers, there’s a strategic element at play here: a successful casual run of a level like this involves resisting the primal urge to get all the chips at first and instead focus on gathering all the teeth into a single cluster that’s easier to evade. It may take a few tries, but all in all, it’s another wonderfully conceived and designed dodging challenge.

<span style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;background-color:transparent;">- Enough Lessons
<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;background-color:transparent;">(Zephyr #21): Post-lesson “review” levels can often fall into one of two traps: copying the exact same set of challenges that were featured in Nuts and Bolts or stringing together CC1’s lesson level challenges in one map. This level does neither, and it feels like a proper “review” level featuring multiple lesson concepts that would be appropriate before a Nuts and Bolts-esque challenge. It strings together lesson-like tasks, but the presentation of these tasks is just top-notch. It’s the little things that do it here: the opening up of the narrow hallway to the large, open space in the “elemental” area, the “Spooks” section at the end being narrowed down to teeth in single-square spaces instead of long paths that newcomers may more easily open up by accident. All in all, this is incredible stuff.

<span style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;background-color:transparent;">- Keyrithmetic
<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;background-color:transparent;">(Helmet #1): Normally, rigid puzzle levels would score lower from me for CCLP1, but this "which doors to open?" level did a few things that upped the rating quite significantly. First, the layout presented the challenge in its entirety without hiding anything. All of the keys could be seen. All of the chips could be seen. The layout itself is also very elegant, with beautiful symmetry, plenty of space in which to walk around, and all four door colors represented at the exits. The level thankfully doesn't use the whole map! Second, you’re given an opportunity to apply one of the key strategies for success in this level right at the start (which is a great way to open the puzzle): you need to collect as many keys as possible. The other strategy is pretty self-explanatory once you realize that you can’t get all the chips: you need to open the doors that give you access to plenty of them! Even if you fail on this level once, the challenge feels interesting enough that trying again doesn’t seem like a chore. An excellent puzzle in so many respects.

<span style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"><span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;background-color:transparent;">- Basketball
<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;background-color:transparent;">(Helmet #9): CCLP1 will probably have its fair share of itemswappers, and what better first itemswapper is there than this? It’s simple, elegant, and fits perfectly into the teens of the set.

- The Ancient Temple
<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;background-color:transparent;">(Helmet #48): So far, I’ve been writing a few points on each level about why I enjoyed it, but you know what...I’m not going to do that here! You will just have to play this one to see how awesome it is. Slight smile