CCLP1 Voting Pack News and Releases
Quote:- 49 Cell (Dragon #1): This level is the third in a series of four levels from its original set that uses this matriced design for various squared cell amounts (25, 36, 49, and 64). The first two levels are also great, and the last one is still good but starts to feel a bit too large and complicated. But this one definitely hits the sweet spot with respect to size and the amount of complication. There’s plenty of places to go, but you never feel overwhelmed, and thankfully, there’s no way to get permanently stuck. The design also allows the level to accomplish what a CC1 level like Trinity did without the long, winding paths - and that is a plus as well, especially when the force floors are already defining a maze.

Heh...actually, there is a way to get stuck. When you go into the cell holding the red key, you have to escape through a recessed wall because you don't have the fire boots yet. If you go there again before getting the fire boots, you're cooked. (I actually included that there on purpose to see if the player is paying attention... Wink ) Ironically, it's the only one of my "Cell" mazes where you can really get stuck in a cell (not counting bear traps or being careless with the block in 64, obviously.)

Quote:7 - Subliminal - Not sure how I feel about the removing dirt from the fireball room. Even with trained eyes it took me a few attempts to get right, and as Ajmiam mentioned, that kind of monster timing is actually quite annoying. The tank trick was also a bit tricky and had me stumped. Besides those things I really enjoyed the elemental straightforward nature of this one too. We definitely need a lot more time here, as I screwed myself in the last block pushing section due to time pressure with less than 30 seconds left on the clock.
I actually found this level problematic, but it wasn't because of the fireballs. Those were OK. Why? Because the timing is stricter than 50/50, it actually becomes easier in my opinion. This is because you can actually focus on the safe spot and follow it as it moves around, preparing to step on the dirt. By contrast, in 50/50 timing, you can only watch the monster and safe spot flicker back and forth very quickly, and it's hard not to get confused.

No, the real problem with this level was the tanks, as BigOto2 mentioned. The timing is strict, and I am pretty sure I pulled off the exact same sequence of moves on two consecutive attempts--succeeded on the first and failed (?!?) on the second.

I do have a few comments (not a detailed every-level review, sorry):

Cardboard 49: Teleport Time

This appears to be a lesson level for teleports. I applaud the use of the toggle walls, particularly the reuse of the middle path with different wall "polarities", but I don't like the fact that you teleport up into Davy Jones' Locker from the room on the right. I don't think we want beginners to be scared of teleports all through the set, do we? As such, it gets a -2 penalty
(subtract 2 stars from my current vote if the issue is not addressed).

Tungsten 26: Double Puzzle

Doublemaze as a Sokoban? Intimidating! This took me a while. At least I realized pretty quickly that all blocks were needed and transferring blocks from one puzzle to another is a no-no. It still took me a while and 2 separate playing sessions just to solve "Puzzle B", (the one on the tiles you DON'T start on) through a little logic and a lot of trial-and-error and missteps. It took me yet another playing session to solve "Puzzle A". Losing effectively half of your already-small view really hurts! In fact, I stopped to draw a map of Puzzle A as a "single puzzle" (i.e., no ice) because I was so confused. After making the map, the first few moves became evident, and the puzzle kind of solved itself from there. Despite taking a long time, solving this level was pretty satisfying! However, I'm concerned about voting it highly for CCLP1, since the sokobans ARE strict and claustraphobic, and I'm not sure if the beginners will have the idea to translate the sokobans to "single puzzle" maps.

Cardboard 32: Cubical

This one also initially confused me. I tried it blindly for just a few minutes, then resolved to come back and make a map when I had more time. And I'm glad I did, because after doing so, I sketched out a solution in 30 seconds! And boy, did it feel good to solve (even though I made an error executing the route and got myself trapped Fail ). If there's any level that will teach new players the importance of taking notes and making maps (something I believe the MSCC help file may have explained, IIRC), this would be it. Despite its simple design, this level earns Star Star Star Star Star from me, random intentional-or-unintentional extra chip nonwithstanding.

Vermillion 22: Thief, You've Taken All That Was Me

I actually played this level in TS0, gave up on it, and came back to finish it off when it reappeared in the Voting Pack. The concept of this level is really cool, and some of the puzzles are fun to work out. I especially liked the boot puzzle in the top-right--that was a little tricky but not too hard. Good difficulty. The fireball dodging in the top-left was very tame compared to the rest of the level.

However, the block puzzles were difficult. Especially the one in the bottom-right. Having such little space to maneuver the blocks and being limited in trips through the ice paths means there are plenty of chances to go wrong, and I still don't know how I managed to find the solution. Beginners might find it frustrating. At least the small space means you'll eventually eliminate most of the possibilities....

The puzzle in the bottom-left, on the other hand, doesn't require as much thought, but the correct choices of recessed walls are a little deceptive, and I cooked it twice, once after solving the bottom-right. Maybe just carelessness....

I think this level could make it into CCLP1's VERY late game (140s). But one annoying factor was having to redo the get boot-visit thief-get key errand after every single mess-up. Combined with the tough block puzzles, this level gets a less-than-perfect-but-still-good rating from me.
Hi everyone,

As some of you may have noticed, this thread has pretty much been cut in half. That's because I've gotten the chance to create all the new discussion threads for each pack that Miika requested and move the posts specific to each pack over there. Unfortunately, this does mean that some (very brief) conversations have been splintered a bit between pack-specific posts and others that reference multiple packs that have remained in this thread, but I've done my best to maintain their integrity. I've also updated the minimum vote numbers for each pack. We are getting dangerously close to releasing more this weekend...let's go for it!
Was creating threads for each pack specifically a good idea for you as well J.B.? I myself personally thought it was better to have an all-in-one thread. It was a lot easier, but that's probably just me.
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
I personally enjoyed the all-in-one thread better myself, but Miika was requesting this several times. Also, I began to notice that multiple discussions were taking place on this thread at the same time, so the separate threads might help with that - not to mention that more discussions could take place since people won't have to worry about wading through so many posts.

In the meantime, in a CCLP1 voting first, the Dragon Pack, which isn't the oldest pack with less than 10 votes, reached that milestone tonight! Thus, the all-new Baguette Pack has been unleashed upon the world, with its voting thread and discussion thread all ready to go. Slight smile Have fun playing - and let's not forget about Popcorn!
I think having it as separate threads is a lot more organised. I like it better this way!
'I made 1,000 levels once.' - Jacques

Great, now I get blamed for this system Tongue But I did think it was the original intent and that in half a year this thread would have been pretty messy to read. I guess I'll have to go and fill in some comments on the threads as soon as I can.

Blob Blob Blob Blob Blob Blob Blob Blob Blob Blob
So far, I think it's encouraging more detailed commenting and will hopefully continue to do so. Slight smile

In the meantime, though - we had another huge explosion of votes today, culminating in the 10-vote-minimum threshold reached for Popcorn and Helmet - meaning that two new packs, Roadcone and Magma, have been released! Give them a spin before the weekend comes to a close. Slight smile
Yikes. There's no way I can keep up with these at this rate, lol.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
Hi everyone,

It's been exactly one month to the day since we started voting, and I am very pleased to announce that we have just hit...

10,000 VOTES!

Thank you so much to all who have participated so far - it's been wonderful to see the enthusiasm. We're almost at the halfway mark for pack releases as well. Let's keep this up! Slight smile
It's been a very, very quiet voting week over the past few days. I hope everyone's been doing alright! Oddly enough, each of the four latest packs currently has a minimum of seven votes. Let's see if we can make some more progress as the week comes to a close! In the meantime, a few of my favorites from this past wave...

Brickwalled / Brickwalled Again (Baguette #12 / #45): Blue wall mazes are always somewhat awkward to give a rating to. On one hand, the annoyance of having to press almost every tile in a level that resembles CC1’s ChipMine doesn’t help their enjoyability at all. However, inspired design can help these levels stand out. A level like Mishmesh, which already defines what some of the walls and floor are, is much more enjoyable, to be honest. We’ve seen quite a few clones of both levels, so when a blue wall maze comes along with its own unique design and gimmick, it’s a welcome sight. What’s neat about this pair of levels is that the design isn’t gimmicky for the sake of being gimmicky. It actually helps with the aforementioned map definition by relieving much of the burden of pressing tile after tile from the player with its bricklayered blue wall layout and somewhat open floor space. The first level is just a simple key-swapper with a few keys, but the latter amps up the difficulty a bit by removing the keys, putting in a bunch of chips scattered around the map, and most notably, adding a few bugs to the mix, which create a challenge that is interesting without being annoying. The open floor space allows for some dodging without confining the player to a dead end in a corner if a bug approaches, unlike levels like "Fleep" (Shampoo #14), where the player would be trapped. And in the end, it’s not too difficult to send a bug somewhere else while exploring in a different direction. All in all, I can’t recommend this pair of levels enough for CCLP1.

Portcullis (Baguette #48): Puzzle levels are also an awkward CCLP1 rating experience. How hard is too hard? When it comes to putting aside our veteran sensibilities and tendencies, it can be rather difficult to remember how a beginner would approach a puzzle. But sometimes, a rare puzzle that is so accessible to players of all skill levels comes along and manages to impress. This level is one of them. The premise is simple: collect chips while pressing red buttons that shoot off lines of pink balls. The trick involves how to use the two blocks you’re given to stop some of the lines. How should they be blocked? How can the lines of pink balls you’ve created block lines you’re going to make next? Like many great levels, this one knows exactly how far along the map it needs to extend before it wears out its welcome or becomes too hard. The concept is so simple but yet so intriguing, and that combination of qualities is ideal for a CCLP.

Involuntary Act (Roadcone #9): One of my favorite experiences playing the original CC as a kid was frolicking around in the force floor maze in Force Square and eventually getting to a point where I had no choice but to zip around the slide outside the square. This level captures that same sense of fun with a frenzied force floor setup that sends players into a teleport (and sometimes by accident!) that allows them to collect the chips on the sides of the level, which are also in their own force slides that seem to have their own specific gravity toward the center room. It’s a wonderful design in a top-notch level.

Memory Test (Roadcone #22): CCLP1 needs a couple of levels that are all about collecting chips. I feel like this is yet another level category that’s been given a bad rap, particularly since CC1’s Hunt and Yorkhouse went on a tad too long. A level like this, on the other hand, is much more focused. The title may seem to indicate that you need to remember where you’ve been (so you don’t visit the same area twice?), but thankfully, this isn’t the case unless you’re optimizing. The force floors are used quite well to define the route to each endpoint leading to the teleport back to the start while keeping the layout fairly linear and yet still presenting multiple options without feeling like a the level’s design was inspired by CC1’s Trinity. And who doesn’t enjoy those “still-life” monster “paintings” that help you find your way?

Erta Prab (Roadcone #41): CCLP3 was rather infamous for its complex monster manipulation puzzles, many of which would be far too complicated for a CC1 replacement. I tend to avoid giving levels with these sorts of challenges thrown in as a segment in the middle of a lengthy series of tasks a high rating. Levels that are all about a single instance of monster manipulation, on the other hand, have the potential to be a different story, especially if the challenge is simple and well-presented. This level, whose name is an anagram of “Bear Trap,” is certainly one of those. There are two phases: the first phase involves sending gliders onto a certain circular path to hold down buttons (and thankfully, the path is well-defined by the buttons themselves) while using blocks to hold down the remaining buttons in the room, and after collecting the chips behind the corresponding traps, the second phase involves taking the blocks back to an intermediary room where they’d remain permanently on the buttons there. The whole thing carries a very TeleBlock vibe without the annoyance of pushing blocks into a corner after immediately following them through a teleport and would be a great fit for the 40-60 region of CCLP1.

The Key Issue (Magma #7): The measure of a difficult level can often be found in just how much order its designer brings to its inherent complexity. The challenge here - that of ridding yourself of the keys you’re “issued” at the beginning - can be discovered fairly quickly, perhaps after cooking the level by collecting even more keys. But the concept is so simple and the puzzles so compartmentalized (for the most part) that it’s not terribly difficult to figure this out and then keep track of everything afterward. Each of the puzzles ties into the level’s main theme and is quite clever without basking too much in its own cleverness. The top right corner in particular is difficult, but “its Nuts and Bolts: The Advanced Version” feel works so well.

Maze Maker (Magma #27): CCLP1 needs a few levels that use walkers in interesting ways. For the time being, I’m keeping my eye on this one (as well as a couple of others). The concept of a stream of walkers being cloned may bring back painful Jumping Swarm memories, but this level has a neat, simple gimmick: you get to define where the walkers go! The title pretty much sets the stage for a chip collecting mission where, of course, you won’t be able to get everything. But at the same time, the level provides an interesting psychological challenge: should there be a point where the “maze-making” stops and an open area created with the collection of a block of chips? Furthermore, were your maze-making skills good enough to keep the walkers occupied while you’re doing so?

H2O Below 273 K (Magma #34): This is the sort of level that just screams CCLP1. It’s an ice level with a charming, lovely design and a straightforward series of tasks in the form of little ice mazes to conquer. No trickery here - just good ol’ sliding fun.

Tiny (Omicron #5): I’m sure a level like this will attract a variety of opinions. Some will think it’s pointless, some will find it average, and some will find it brilliant. I happen to find it quite delightful for what it is: a tiny level. I think CCLP1 could afford to have a level like this that uses different elements players learned about in the lessons together with each other before those players tackle a larger, Nuts and Bolts-scale level. Also, be sure to find both solutions!

Tree (Omicron #18): Variety levels and itemswappers have become so commonplace that I’ve gotten to the point where the only ones that really stand out from the linear one-random-challenge-after-another affairs are the ones that are united by some sort of theme (such as Cardboard’s “Badlands”) or a unique design element. This level falls into the second category beautifully with its branched choices, each of which must be taken to complete it. What’s really neat is that each of the rooms that must be traversed before returning to the opening area doesn’t even have any chips at all, as they are all located in the “tree” area where the keys and boots are collected. This allows for each task to be undertaken with returning to the start as the sole objective, which is quite nifty. All in all, a winning entry in my book.

Extraction (Omicron #26): Remember that one room from CCLP3’s Twisted Chambers with the traps and brown buttons - you know...one of the few decent rooms in the level? (I say that with shame as its designer! Slight smile) This level takes that concept and expands it further without feeling the need to fill the entire map, and the result is quite a devilish but manageable challenge. Especially appreciated are the intuitive trap connections, the simple objective (even if the actual steps that need to be taken to complete it are hard), and the satisfaction of blowing up those bombs at the end. This could be quite a contender for the endgame of CCLP1 depending on how well it does in voting.