The autism spectrum
Well, not that this thread should be just about the quiz, but taking it isn't going to change who you are...

Edit - it isn't meant to tell you who you are, either.
Yeah, exactly.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Quote:^Well, again, remember that you can have a label attached to you and still be who you are. Slight smile
However, there is a dark side of being labeled autistic. I feel that I internalized the label as a negative trait when I was younger and thus limited my potential, and that autism became a crutch for me when things went wrong or life was too hard, even an excuse to behave badly and/or give up. The best solution, I find, is to work at progress, publicly discuss struggle and progress, and inspire others still living with autism and even other disabilities; I realized how valuable my testimony was in recent times, and this makes me less of an "autistic person" than a "person with autism," a distinction made in last night's anthropology class that makes all the difference in our self-image. The things that drive us to transcend ASD are important to know and appreciate in order to land on the positive side of the fence; for me, they are my friends, family, faith, instructors, appreciation for the finer things in life, and knowledge that my story does impact people. We should be aware of who we are as autistics, but not letting autism define us, rather to let what we make of it define us.
^That was a really good post, ManipulatorGeneral. Autism's definitely not an excuse for poor behaviour (and I know I've fallen into that trap, unfortunately). On the flip side, as you said, it's important to recognize it so that you can build off of that knowledge (rather than letting it strangle you). That's why I think it's probably a good thing to know where you stand on the spectrum, even if you think that it's just a label. That it may be, but there are implications that you can use to your advantage...
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Quote:Well, not that this thread should be just about the quiz, but taking it isn't going to change who you are...

Edit - it isn't meant to tell you who you are, either.

Look I just don't want to take the quiz. Is that really a problem?

Geez people stop fricking harping on me over 1 fricking thing.
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
One symptom of Asperger's is obsession, I believe. LOL

I think it's important to distinguish what affects you and who you are. The two are intertwined, but distinct.

It's also important not to try to be something you're not. Challenging yourself is good. Expecting to succeed at every challenge is unrealistic.

I'm also wondering how much diet has to do with mental health. I know I act differently when I eat poorly.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
Quote:Look I just don't want to take the quiz. Is that really a problem?

Geez people stop fricking harping on me over 1 fricking thing.

Yes, it's a problem. The universe will implode if you don't take the quiz in the next 6 hours. Do you really want that to happen?

[Click to Show Content]
I got defensive about it because my brother is autistic. And just because I refuse to take it, doesn't mean I have a problem. I just choose not to take it...but if the world depends on it, then fine I'll take it.

Also, getting defensive like that is how my personality is. It's also how I was raised. My apologies.
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

You have nothing to apologize for. Also, since I get the impression your brother's autism is serious, sorry to hear that. Maybe you'd be able to give us some insight, though, for those of us that can't really relate.
Quote:You have nothing to apologize for. Also, since I get the impression your brother's autism is serious, sorry to hear that. Maybe you'd be able to give us some insight, though, for those of us that can't really relate.

How can I give insight? Like information about it?

His autism is serious. But his is really hard to explain really...it's just not as bad as you may think it is. One thing is he has speech problems (if you watch his CCLP3 videos you'll see) and he tends to run around randomly and shakes his hands. He also asks questions he knows the answer to a lot. Other than that, he is really smart and amazing at figuring out puzzles, which is why he plays CC a lot and he also is really great at fixing electrical appliances for I have no idea why but he is Thumbs up
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects