All things chess
Quote:I'm trying to get a rating myself. Do I just have to play a game with someone to get a rating or what? I don't understand...

All you need to do is play live chess. Your rating will change after every game.
Ok thanks.
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Quote:It was a pretty epic game imo.

Did you save the moves? You should post them here, and then we can comment on the epicness.

Actually, everyone here should do that everytime something cool comes up in a game. Slight smile
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
My rating is 1052, which I am assuming isn't that good. I got totally owned. That's what happens when I haven't played for 5 years Tongue
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Quote:Did you save the moves? You should post them here, and then we can comment on the epicness.

Actually, everyone here should do that everytime something cool comes up in a game. Slight smile

Every game is archived. I saw your game Wink.

http://www.chess.com...ml?id=286280975

e: I've watched Flareon350's game now... I can tell you haven't played in a while. No offence, some of your moves were really good Thumbs up . I also noticed that your opponent missed a tactic that would've killed your queen Tongue .
Quote:Every game is archived.

Cool!

Quote:I saw your game Wink.

Damnit!
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
You can also play correspondence chess, which is what I've been doing since I'm not always at the computer. The games take longer (each side has up to 3 days to make a move under the normal settings) but the bright side is that you can play as many games simultaneously as you want.

Also, I played like an idiot and lowered my rating from 1636 to 1168 Tongue Right around where my rating should be, I think. Hopefully it will grow with experience.
Correspondence chess sounds like a good idea. I'm mediocre at best, but at blitz, I totally suck. I'd like to pretend that I'm like Botvinnik, hating on blitz because it's an affront to the elegance of the game (which it is), but I hate it more because I miss obvious things and barely even bother to look at the board, so concerned am I with the clock. Slight smile

Looking at my game, you would probably think that I hadn't played in years (in my defense, my last half-dozen moves or so were sheer desperado tactics, unsportsmanlike attempts at hoping that my opponent would blunder). When I was 8 years old and actually played in tourneys, my rating was something like 968. It distresses me that I apparently have not grown much in skill in the past 15 years. Slight smile
4 game winning streak to bring my rating back over 1300. Thumbs up

Blitz and Bullet ratings are both in the 800s, though...Tongue
Congrats!

It's bad enough that I tend to hang pieces under rapid time controls; blitz and bullet would be a total slaughter. Wink