If 1+1 didn't equal 2
Quote:1<sub>10</sub> + 1<sub>10</sub> = 11<sub>1</sub><sub></sub>.

Ummmm.......NO

There is no base 1. (Base 1 field theory would require dividing by zero.)

Or, if you prefer, there is no "1" in base 1 -- only zeroes. The base is never one of the digits.

However,

1<sub>10</sub> + 1<sub>10 </sub>+ 1<sub>10</sub> = 11<sub>2</sub>

Also 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 1 (mod 3)

12 apples + blender = applesauce
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
Quote:There is no base 1. (Base 1 field theory would require dividing by zero.)

...in theory, could it exist?
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Quote:...in theory, could it exist?

That really depends on what your definition of "exist" is. (Sorry Bill Clinton.)

The problem with using 1 as a base is that it wouldn't match the rules for any other base. For example, we know that the third place left of the decimal in base 2 is 2<sup>2</sup> or 4. So, 101<sub>2</sub> = 5<sub>10</sub> . But 1<sup>x</sup> = 1, which means every place has the same value.

Also, 0 would be the only valid digit. So the only number you can really express is zero.

Now, in Set Theory (which I only took because I was a Math major, but I loved it), the numbers we know and love (the Natural Numbers), are defined in terms of something very similar to this. Zero is the empty set. One is a set containing zero. Two is a set containing one and zero. And so on. Each number is a set with the right number of elements, and all the elements are defined recursively from NOTHING. This is where most people say "stop, I wanna get off."

Anyway, you could theoretically change your definition of base to include stings of zeroes, and the number of zeroes would determine the size of the number. But it's not really the same as other bases.

Where I tend to jump off the train is when people start talking about base e or base pi. No thanks -- I like my bases to be positive integers (greater than 1).
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
I see this thread involves math Thumbs up
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Everything involves math...Smiley
Math wins. Thumbs up
ZK1 / ZK2 / ZK3 / ZK3: Abandoned / ZK4 / ZK5

Bronze / Silver / Gold
Unfortunately. Wink
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Quote:That really depends on what your definition of "exist" is. (Sorry Bill Clinton.)

The problem with using 1 as a base is that it wouldn't match the rules for any other base. For example, we know that the third place left of the decimal in base 2 is 2<sup>2</sup> or 4. So, 101<sub>2</sub> = 5<sub>10</sub> . But 1<sup>x</sup> = 1, which means every place has the same value.

Also, 0 would be the only valid digit. So the only number you can really express is zero.

Now, in Set Theory (which I only took because I was a Math major, but I loved it), the numbers we know and love (the Natural Numbers), are defined in terms of something very similar to this. Zero is the empty set. One is a set containing zero. Two is a set containing one and zero. And so on. Each number is a set with the right number of elements, and all the elements are defined recursively from NOTHING. This is where most people say "stop, I wanna get off."

Anyway, you could theoretically change your definition of base to include stings of zeroes, and the number of zeroes would determine the size of the number. But it's not really the same as other bases.

Where I tend to jump off the train is when people start talking about base e or base pi. No thanks -- I like my bases to be positive integers (greater than 1).
Very interesting. I was thinking that it was more of an arbitrary decision not to include base 1, but I didn't notice the differences between base 1 and the rest of them.

Quote:Unfortunately. Wink
You started it. Smiley
That'll teach me to start threads all willy-nilly.
http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/57131.html

Thumbs up
ZK1 / ZK2 / ZK3 / ZK3: Abandoned / ZK4 / ZK5

Bronze / Silver / Gold