June 2016 Create Comp - CC2 Tutorials! (First ever CC2 create!)
Quote:But yes if you mention Joshua Bones violation of the rules, you have to do so for Tyler as well (no time limit).

Tyler's level not having a time limit really wasn't much of an issue, therefore not much of a violation of a rule. Technically your level, Phantoms, also didn't have a time limit either, since it remained at 5 seconds the entire time but did not penalize your level for that either.

Quote:And perhaps even more importantly, I can totally understand that Josh want's to keep the videos reasonably short, but he did not solve any levels for the first time in the videos (and if that should not be true, why play some the first time and some before,...), so why not solve all the levels before and show the solutions to all the levels?

If he solves e.g. Teleport Convolution or just shows the solution or whatever (and all the levels can easily be solved in way less than five minutes if you know what you are doing), and points out thoughts about the level and that it is too difficult to be considered for this competition, it would have been totally fine with me, and I probably wouldn't have written much about it, but instead in two of my levels he seems to run around a bit bored to kill time without me seeing any intention of him solving the levels in the video.

(or in the worst case scenario, if he can't be bothered to spend some minutes solving them, just leave the levels out, or show the solution in a separate video with some thought on them (here perhaps with some real first time comments, if he hasn't seen it before) if he doesn't want to spoil the solutions in the general video, but just running around stupidly that's for sure the worst decision...)

I've stated this three times already. There was a fault in a recording attempt when I first played the levels and the video never processed. I had to re-record mostly everything because of this and did not feel the need to delete my save file to do it. Replaying them really should not matter and I don't understand why you keep bringing this up, I made it very clear why that happened and it was not my fault. This seriously needs to be overlooked, it couldn't have been helped and even if it could have, it's not that big of a deal.

During that initial recording, I also did not solve Teleport Convolution or Unraveling Mystery. I stated at the start of the video that managed to record and upload that I would only judge the level I favor the most if there were two or three by a designer. You were no exception and I happened to like Phantoms more than the other two of yours. So I seriously do not understand what the big deal is regarding my judging process of those other two levels, they did not matter nor effect the outcome of your ranking. If they did and I judged all three of your levels and tallied them up all together, your ranking would have been lower than what it is.

I did not feel the need to spend countless minutes on Teleport Convolution when I did not like it. I did not feel it was a tutorial level whatsoever and many other people who entered thought the same thing. Whether I was trying to solve the level or not, did not reflect how I was going to handle the next two entries of yours. Unraveling Mystery was literally just a puzzle and was extremely obvious what it consisted of and what to do to solve it. But because I had already played and solved Phantoms, which I liked, I didn't see a reason to spend even more time on your third entry when I liked the second one the most and already got the idea of that third entry. If you want my thoughts on that level specifically, as a puzzle it's outstanding. As a tutorial, it is not. And I never did state this in the video but I originally had Phantoms marked at 8th place but playing it again bumped it up to 6th. At least I was a bit generous with that level. Slight smile I wasn't going to waste more time on either of those levels when I already decided which one I was going to judge and there were 19 others to play and judge at such a late hour.

On another note, Jeffrey's points with my judging process is pretty much correct. I'll admit the judging process definitely could have been better and more in depth than what it was but you need to understand I have a busy life now and hardly had time to judge the levels as it was. I didn't want to keep you all waiting on the results and while judging them at 2am wasn't the smartest idea in the world, it was the only possible time I could do so. Not making that an excuse to cover myself but reality does happen!
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Firstly, thanks for your elaborate answers.

Secondly, yes I was a bit disappointed about the video, and not just for my levels, as in some of your let's plays you seem to have so much more motivation and enthusiasm, but I can definitely understand that after loosing a the video and have to rerecord it, frustrated about loosing the first, perhaps already a bit tired and under time pressure, it is not the same, so don't worry about it.

Thirdly, yes I would have ranked the levels differently e.g. I would have chosen Bowling in the Sewer from Jeffry which would have won the competition, or Eraser Rush from Chipster, because it was more fun to play (even though I don't like the speed boots) than Twice the Eyesight, but luckily everyone likes different levels, and that assures a wide variety in levels Slight smile
Recommendation for future create competitions: stick with the default tileset, or at least indicate in the rules what tileset(s) may be used. Things like not being able to see things like recessed walls under chips* are significant, even if they didn't really affect the rankings here.

Joshua's level: Pretty much agree with everything said about it so far, but i want to add that i think the level could have done with a bit less hand-holding. You can tell the player what they can do without telling them what to do, especially after the first 2 or 3 rooms. Also, i counted the spaces in Joshua's level because i have nothing better to do and it's 475 inside the thin walls, leaving 625 - 475 = 150 to spare.

I'm okay with the rankings, though my reasons for my level not being a good tutorial differ quite a bit from the reasons stated here. Fun fact: this is what i was going to submit before i noticed the size limit (ideally i would have had it untimed too):

[Click to Show Content]

I ran into a similar issue Joshua had. I found a way to shrink this to 25x25, but the level became really dense and it was difficult to see what the level was doing.

*You actually can see them, but just barely. Still affects the difficulty of H's 3rd level, since not all chips had walls under them.
CCMiniLP, my CCLP1 submissions. Outdated, not recommended.
CCSignificantlyLargerLP, my CCLP4 submissions. More current than my main set.
Consistent Inconsistency (ongoing), my main CC1 custom set. (discussion)
RyanJ1.dat (ongoing), my main CC2 custom set. (discussion)
Mystery Project (unfinished) (previews)

YouTube | Twitch | Steam
Wow, that was a lot of text to read in this thread! I enjoyed the impetus to build my first CC2 level. I watched some of the judging, and totally agree with the placement of my level, even though I might have ranked some of the other simpler levels higher than Josh. Thanks for running this!
GOOD NEWS! CCZone is finally active again!

BAD NEWS! Everyone is arguing over whether the results of a competition were fair...

I haven't read the whole thing, and quite frankly I don't care. If I was the judge the results would have been quite different, but I'm not the judge, and I don't want to judge a future competition. Everyone's opinion is different.

But the thing is, competitions are supposed to be fun. A positive way to stimulate community participation and quality level design. Not a perpetual argument.

What I mean is: can we have friendly discussions here without everyone accusing and attacking each other? It's a good thing CCLP4 voting starts this week, otherwise I might have just vanished.

This place is always either a desert or a battlefield (and never mind the CCLP1 reference, it's one of my least favourite levels of the set). Everything is falling apart. I miss the old CCZone from 2014, when people were active, and arguments were sane.

I'm sorry I posted this.
CC is awesome!

CC2 sets (still being updated): C1059-CC2 --- Walls of CC2

CC1 sets (all complete): C1059-2 --- C1059-1 --- 1059PG01 --- C1059-Christmas --- C1059-INSANITY --- C1059-CCLP4

My Youtube channel --- Fiver's Honeycomb --- Fanfiction.net

Good posts don't cost too much, yet many go unwritten.
Quote:But the thing is, competitions are supposed to be fun. A positive way to stimulate community participation and quality level design. Not a perpetual argument.

I honestly agree with chipster here, I seriously didn't expect any of this to lead to an argument. If anything, I wanted to avoid any kind of confrontation but it is what it is.
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Quote:What I mean is: can we have friendly discussions here without everyone accusing and attacking each other?

This place is always either a desert or a battlefield. Everything is falling apart. I miss the old CCZone from 2014, when people were active, and arguments were sane.

All of the minor chats that aren't worthy of entire threads occur over Skype group chats these days. I think they've been mentioned before on these forums - we really should advertise them better - but you're welcome to join them if you want. Thumbs up