June 2016 Create Comp - CC2 Tutorials! (First ever CC2 create!)
Well it certainly has been a while since I've hosted a create comp (about two years actually...) but this is one I've been wanting to do for a while and now the time has come. Welcome to the first ever Chip's Challenge 2 create competition!

In honor of CC2 having been released for a full year now, why not change things up a bit and try some stuff for that game instead?

While there are a vast of ideas and themes to use for create competitions for this game, let's make the very first focus on something simple - tutorial levels! Arguably, the main CC2 game didn't do the best it could with its tutorial levels - whether it was not fully explaining a certain element or a tile never getting a proper tutorial (looking at you hooks...)! This can be done with practically any tile, even the ones we know and love from CC1!

There is a bit of a twist to this challenge though. Your level(s) is not required to be strictly a tutorial, you can also make a level that focuses on a few elements, or a large level focusing on one tile using its many different properties, but must remain pretty simple as a whole. To give you a better idea and visual of this, here is an example of a decent tutorial-ish level I made a while back, focusing on only a hook and turning blocks into ice blocks.

In hindsight of this, your level(s) also cannot be any larger than 25x25, this shouldn't be an issue considering the theme of this create!

Notes:

-Must have CC2 to participate (did this really need a note idk)

-Submissions are open until July 1st, 2016 in your time zone! I will accept submissions until I release the submitted levels, judging will be done in a public video that will be uploaded onto my YouTube channel.
-The level(s) must be new; it must not have been released earlier.
-The level(s) must be solvable. If a level is found to be unsolvable, I will allow an update to make it solvable.
-Please give the level(s) a cool name, even if it is just a tutorial styled level.

-Please include your name/username in the "Designer" box. Just so I know who makes what level(s).

-Provide a time limit for your level(s).

-Bonus flags can be used and are encouraged to be used but are not necessary. Your level will not be docked down if bonuses are not used.

-You may submit more than one entry, but please keep the levels distinct from each other. Only the best level for each participant will be judged (though I will probably give feedback on all of them). You can submit up to 3 levels.

-Entrants receive the normal prizes: the "You're Winner!"-award, Chip Cup points, and "Tool Box"-award for first time entrants.
-Please ask about other unclear situations or wacky things you come up with.

Email and attach your submissions to pkmndiamond493 [at] live dot com
. I will reply with a confirmation that I have received your entry as soon as I can (this should be within 72 hours of the message being sent). I prefer if you use your username and this competition in the subject. Keep it short and simple, something like: "June 2016 Create - Flareon350"

I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out. Have any questions, feel free to ask below. Have fun and enjoy! Slight smile

Flareon
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
This is really cool! Even though I haven't finished CC2, I'll try to make my first levels for this comp! Thanks Josh for coming up with this idea Thumbs up
Just posting here so this thread doesn't get buried and to remind you all this competition exists! I've received a good chunk of entries so far and I hope to get some more from other people Slight smile

Also, it's worth noting that of the entries I have received, I have not looked at any of them via the editor nor played them beforehand. I am refraining from any viewing of these levels until the competition is close to ending. I'm doing this solely for the fact that the surprise factor remains when I record a video of me judging them. That being said, it might be wise to ensure your entries are solvable, even if you have submitted them to me already! Because by the time I look at them, it might be too late to update them. And I'm sure nobody wants me to play an unsolvable level publicly Tongue
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Competition ends on Friday, July 1st! Hurry and get your entries made and submitted if you haven't already done so!
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Sorry for the delay. This create competition is officially closed! It seems it was pretty successful, in terms of being the first of (hopefully) many future CC2 create competitions as I received a good amount of entries from various people!

As mentioned on the first post of this thread, I will be judging these levels in a public, live video* that will be uploaded to my YouTube channel here. I have not looked at any of these entries so it will also be completely blind. I will do the judging when I have the time to do so, most likely early this week.

While you're waiting for me to judge these, feel free to take a look at the rest of the entries for yourself! http://cczone.invisionzone.com/index.php?/files/file/580-june-2016-create-entries/

Thanks to everyone who participated. Slight smile

*considering how many entries there are, there is a strong possibility this will consist of more than one video.
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Here are the judging videos as promised!

Part 1
Part 2

Both are rather long, between 38-45 minutes each but every level is featured, however, not all were solved. Also the commentary is very "bleh" due to recording these at 2 in the morning so hopefully that will be fine.

I tried to be as fair as possible with the rankings, which are further explained in detail at the end of Part 2.

Here are the rankings in case you don't want to sit through all this:

[Click to Show Content]

So congrats to the winner! And thank you everyone who joined! To the first time entrants, you get the Tool Box award!
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Definitely didn't expect to win before seeing the submissions, didn't expect to win after seeing Andrew's and Tyler's entries, somehow won anyway with what I thought was a needlessly overcomplicated entry.

Teleport Convolution: I couldn't work this one out either, but in the time I spent on it I did move the yellow teleport on the inside by blocking the outside one against blocks... it's clear you'd need to get the bug to blow up the bomb via yellow teleport but I didn't see the specifics, nor did I see how to maneuver the ice block afterwards. Definitely a bad tutorial!

Bowling in the Sewer: The solution is to step on the area control button, which sends the bowling ball onto the clone button cloning a fireball to blow up the last bomb guarding the exit. Perhaps I went a little too clever with that inclusion, though. I elected not to include any hints because I like when tutorials are self-explanatory: the mechanics speak for themselves through the level. I did this back with UC4 and I think that worked out reasonably well, so I went for it here, too.

Joshua's Entry: I knew it was against the 25x25, but didn't think it was a big deal either since it was 10xsomething. Then I just checked and it's 10x90...which is 900 tiles / 44% more space to work with than originally allowed. That's... yikes.

Exchange: When the bowling ball picked up the skates it caused it to explode, instead of bounce off the socket. Strange behavior when you think about it... I thought it was alright but also really liked chipster's other entries, especially Eraser Rush. Though I reallllly like the speed boots, so that's to be expected. (biggest issue there is walkers can enter the lock corridors...)

Wrong of Way: This is honestly the level I thought would win it- very surprised to see it as far back as fifth!

World of Tanks: This is another one I expected to place a little better than it did.

Stickygate: You fell for the exact same trap I did when I played it..I think the solution to that part is to use the bribe and hook and red key to pull the arrow block down, giving more time to move? I still dislike that section of the level, though maybe not as much if it was the entire level.

It Takes Two: Honestly, I felt this was a stronger multi-character level than my own, as a tutorial. As a level I prefer my own, but as a tutorial... anyway, the bonus can be obtained by using the regular block on the bomb, and bringing the final ice block down to the teeth room. It's a pretty clever bonus! Likewise, the bonus in Item Drop is obtained by overriding the force floor (taking advantage of the obscuring recessed wall under the chip) and then passing through with only the suction boots.

My own order would probably have been:

1. Ajmiam

2. quiznos

3. myself (with Bowling in the Sewer)

4. J.B. (with It Takes Two)

5. chipster

6. Joshua Bone (I liked this more than J.B.'s buuuuut the skirting the rules...)

7. IceyLava

8. Eric

9. MikeSugs

10. _H_ & random 8 (overcomplicated for tutorials)

12. Miika

13. geodave
My CC1 levelsets: (25, 150, 149, 149, 149, 149, 60, 149, 43, +2 = 1025 total)
25 levels.dat | Ultimate Chip.dat | Ultimate Chip 2.ccl | Ultimate Chip 3.dac | Ultimate Chip 4.zip | Ultimate Chip 5 | Ultimate Chip 6 Walls of CCLP4 i^e
IHNN-Ultimate: 147 of my best levels (through UC5), plus 2 entirely new ones. May be overhauled soon.

My CC2 levelsets: (100, ???)
IHNN1 | IHNN2

My CC score tracker. Has lots of cool automated features!
Twitch | Youtube | Twitter
Quote:Definitely didn't expect to win before seeing the submissions, didn't expect to win after seeing Andrew's and Tyler's entries, somehow won anyway with what I thought was a needlessly overcomplicated entry.

This and your first entry were my favorites but judged the one I did because it was stronger. The main reason it won is because it was scaled even smaller than the given size limit and I didn't see it as being overcomplicated at all.

Quote:Teleport Convolution: I couldn't work this one out either, but in the time I spent on it I did move the yellow teleport on the inside by blocking the outside one against blocks... it's clear you'd need to get the bug to blow up the bomb via yellow teleport but I didn't see the specifics, nor did I see how to maneuver the ice block afterwards. Definitely a bad tutorial!

This level was my least favorite of the entire competition and I'm not afraid to admit that. Had this been H's only entry, it definitely would have been close to last place but I enjoyed Phantoms the most, so it was the stronger choice. His third entry I also didn't see how that's a tutorial-ish level but that was a little more enjoyable than Teleport Convolution.

Quote:Joshua's Entry: I knew it was against the 25x25, but didn't think it was a big deal either since it was 10xsomething. Then I just checked and it's 10x90...which is 900 tiles / 44% more space to work with than originally allowed. That's... yikes.

Honestly, this was my favorite level of the competition but I had to be fair to the rest who actually followed the given size limit for level entries. Making this 1st would have been a slap in the face to the ones who followed the rule. 3rd is the lowest I can go with this entry because it was still a fun level to play and definitely fit the tutorial theme.

Quote:Wrong of Way: This is honestly the level I thought would win it- very surprised to see it as far back as fifth!

World of Tanks: This is another one I expected to place a little better than it did.

I was conflicted with Wrong of Way and Conveyor Reversal, both of which used the same general concept but I enjoyed J.B.'s slightly more. Andrew's definitely had more going for it but it was clear to me J.B.'s was just barely more on the tutorial side. As for World of Tanks, it was alright but it didn't have much going for it - most the level was long corridors and didn't really make full use of the tanks in my opinion. The ending was my favorite part but it just wasn't enough to get a higher ranking.

Quote:Stickygate: You fell for the exact same trap I did when I played it..I think the solution to that part is to use the bribe and hook and red key to pull the arrow block down, giving more time to move? I still dislike that section of the level, though maybe not as much if it was the entire level.

This was the main reason I gave this 9th. I didn't like that section of the level either and I didn't know what kind of tutorial it was focusing on - it felt like it was all over the place and it just wasn't clear on what to do. I still think I did that red teleport portion wrong but I think 9th was a fair ranking, considering I didn't complete the level or really make much progress on it.
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Thank you very much for hosting and judging this competition, Josh! Good job to all those who entered--I enjoyed most of the levels, and the top three definitely deserved to be up there. I actually learned a lot from some of the tutorials, particularly Tyler's block tutorial.
​So not surprised I'm last. Made it quick and dirty. Glad there was so much participation!
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan