Personal Level Design Question
What do you guys think of my level design? I am honestly worried about how good my level design I make might be...

As a side note, I might release demo 2 for CamsLP.dat, my current main project, soon, with levels 1-50. I only have 1-45, so please bear with me if it takes awhile; I have had a writers block for level making.
Sewiouswy, Pom-Pom, whewe is that CCLP4 I so want?

~Chipwoodstock
Chip Win
Hello Cam,

I have played the demo you have uploaded here on CCZone and here is my opinion:

1: The first way is to pick up the chips under the blocks. The second way is to push the blocks into the water, pack the dirt, then boost past the force floors to get another block. This second way works only in MS. Overall, a simple level, nothing extraordinary, but beginners may really enjoy it.

2: A nice level, a lot better than the first one. The idea of the force floors pointing downward with a few in other directions is creative. However, the map is small. I guess the level would need to be bigger to be better.

3: This level is, in my opinion, not very good. It is possible to pick up all the chips without disturbing the teeth. It is way too easy.

4: This level is a lot better than the previous one. It is fun, somewhat hard, but I have always struggled with teleport levels.

5: This feels like a "nuts and bolts" level. It may be fun to play, but I see three problems. First of all, the paramecia will drown before Chip gets to that room. Next, there is nothing on the clone machine. Finally, the clone button links to nothing.

6: This levels is not solvable in Lynx, which may turn away some players. In MS, it is an ordinary level, nothing special.

7: This level would be great as the end of a level, but I think it is too short for a standalone level.

8: I am sorry, but this is the worst level in the set. It is impossible in Lynx and extremely easy in MS.

9: This level feels complete. It is fun to play and the bug room may be challenging. But what is the point of the upper ball? It may stay trapped for the entire level.

10: This level has some potential, but I beat it on my first try. There are not enough walkers.

11: This level is the best in the set, but it could be improved. I suggest adding some items behind the green locks to force Chip to open them. I also suggest adding a few more simple rooms.

12: This level feels like a joke. And with such a title, I think it is. I recommend placing it in a set called "Cam's Rejects" or something like that.

13: This level is unsolvable in Lynx, but that is not the main problem. The main problem is that Chip simply has to go next to the bomb near the exit and wait. The bomb will explode and the level is over. The other balls will not have the time to kill the other Chip. The teeth is useless and so are the blocks.

14: This level may seem hard, but it is somewhat easy. Once the balls are dodged, Chip only has to go to the exit. Still a nice level however.

15: Who is Bozdo? Also, I know about the Easter Egg. There are a few of those in pi.dat.

16: You should put more Chip Win so Chip can't see a single floor tile.

Overall, the main thing you should improve in your future levels would be to make them harder.

By the way, you say in the description of your insane level to "play it in Tile World". Insane levels work only in CHIPS.EXE

I hope this will help you,

Chipster1059
CC is awesome!

CC2 sets (still being updated): C1059-CC2 --- Walls of CC2

CC1 sets (all complete): C1059-2 --- C1059-1 --- 1059PG01 --- C1059-Christmas --- C1059-INSANITY --- C1059-CCLP4

My Youtube channel --- Fiver's Honeycomb --- Fanfiction.net

Good posts don't cost too much, yet many go unwritten.
Quote:By the way, you say in the description of your insane level to "play it in Tile World". Insane levels work only in CHIPS.EXE

If you were referring to the rage.dat level he created, that is not an insane level. It's just a level that is designed to make a player rage, which, in my opinion, is rather easy compared to some "nightmare" levels.. therefore, I agree with your point that Cam should develop his levels of a higher difficulty. Easier levels are not bad but if repetitive they can become boring quite quickly.
ZK1 / ZK2 / ZK3 / ZK3: Abandoned / ZK4 / ZK5

Bronze / Silver / Gold
Quote:If you were referring to the rage.dat level he created, that is not an insane level. It's just a level that is designed to make a player rage, which, in my opinion, is rather easy compared to some "nightmare" levels.. therefore, I agree with your point that Cam should develop his levels of a higher difficulty. Easier levels are not bad but if repetitive they can become boring quite quickly.
Thanks for the explanation. And you are right: it is quite easy. I did not rage while playing it.
CC is awesome!

CC2 sets (still being updated): C1059-CC2 --- Walls of CC2

CC1 sets (all complete): C1059-2 --- C1059-1 --- 1059PG01 --- C1059-Christmas --- C1059-INSANITY --- C1059-CCLP4

My Youtube channel --- Fiver's Honeycomb --- Fanfiction.net

Good posts don't cost too much, yet many go unwritten.
I played it last year and remember the levels being really short or as bad as Michael's. I rated the demo One star overall and I think you need more levels lasting longer than 3 seconds.
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
Quote:or as bad as Michael's.

Nice unnecessary bashing on Michael. That's One star
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Quote:I played it last year, sounding like a long time ago, and remember the levels being really short or as bad as Zane's. I rated the demo 4 more than One star overall but I think it was still better than all of Zane's levelsets combined.
ZK1 / ZK2 / ZK3 / ZK3: Abandoned / ZK4 / ZK5

Bronze / Silver / Gold
I admit that rage.dat was bad, but I was thinking of my other levels that were made to be serious...

~Chipwoodstock
Chip Win
Quote:Hello Cam,

I have played the demo you have uploaded here on CCZone and here is my opinion:

1: The first way is to pick up the chips under the blocks. The second way is to push the blocks into the water, pack the dirt, then boost past the force floors to get another block. This second way works only in MS. Overall, a simple level, nothing extraordinary, but beginners may really enjoy it.

2: A nice level, a lot better than the first one. The idea of the force floors pointing downward with a few in other directions is creative. However, the map is small. I guess the level would need to be bigger to be better.

3: This level is, in my opinion, not very good. It is possible to pick up all the chips without disturbing the teeth. It is way too easy.

4: This level is a lot better than the previous one. It is fun, somewhat hard, but I have always struggled with teleport levels.

5: This feels like a "nuts and bolts" level. It may be fun to play, but I see three problems. First of all, the paramecia will drown before Chip gets to that room. Next, there is nothing on the clone machine. Finally, the clone button links to nothing.

6: This levels is not solvable in Lynx, which may turn away some players. In MS, it is an ordinary level, nothing special.

7: This level would be great as the end of a level, but I think it is too short for a standalone level.

8: I am sorry, but this is the worst level in the set. It is impossible in Lynx and extremely easy in MS.

9: This level feels complete. It is fun to play and the bug room may be challenging. But what is the point of the upper ball? It may stay trapped for the entire level.

10: This level has some potential, but I beat it on my first try. There are not enough walkers.

11: This level is the best in the set, but it could be improved. I suggest adding some items behind the green locks to force Chip to open them. I also suggest adding a few more simple rooms.

12: This level feels like a joke. And with such a title, I think it is. I recommend placing it in a set called "Cam's Rejects" or something like that.

13: This level is unsolvable in Lynx, but that is not the main problem. The main problem is that Chip simply has to go next to the bomb near the exit and wait. The bomb will explode and the level is over. The other balls will not have the time to kill the other Chip. The teeth is useless and so are the blocks.

14: This level may seem hard, but it is somewhat easy. Once the balls are dodged, Chip only has to go to the exit. Still a nice level however.

15: Who is Bozdo? Also, I know about the Easter Egg. There are a few of those in pi.dat.

16: You should put more Chip Win so Chip can't see a single floor tile.

Overall, the main thing you should improve in your future levels would be to make them harder.

By the way, you say in the description of your insane level to "play it in Tile World". Insane levels work only in CHIPS.EXE

I hope this will help you,

Chipster1059
I decided to go back and fix levels 1-15 (16 was just an end-of-demo level). For the record, I don't intend any Lynx Compatibility, so I do apologize. However, if demand is high, I will try my best to make a lynx-compatible version by the set's official release.

3 - Call For Alarm: I made the walls solid, making it impossible to grab all chips and not disturb the teeth.

7 - HURRY UP!: I added a LOT more to the level. Of course, more time was added, but just enough to make fast movements needed.

8 - Something's Fishy: I redid the whole level.

9 - Pharaoh: Nothing changed, but I must say that the pharaoh himself put that trap there. He's not the smartest, though...

10 - Planet IKAAAE: I added a few more Walkers, hoping this makes it harder.

11 - Whenever Time: I added 1 chip per the green locks to require their usage.

12 - Just Kiddin': I actually removed the level entirely.

13 [12 in next demo] - Defense Army: I greatly reduced the time for the army of pink balls to appear, making it impossible to plant yourself near the exit to win.

14 [13] - Tetris: Again, no change, but for the record, I kind of designed the level just for rule of fun.

15 [14] - BOZDO: The idea of bozdo is a in-joke from the Fluffy Pony community (something I was in at the time). Bozdo is basically the fluffy pony equivalent of Zalgo. He came to reap the chipsters... But I dunno if the plan with gliders really worked out. Underestimation is bound when you kill fluffies, but then try humans.

When I release the second demo, I hope you can give feedback on the levels then too. Keep in mind to re-review the levels I changed

~Chipwoodstock
Chip Win
I don't remember if I played these or not, so my feedback is on a more general level.

You learn to make good levels by making more levels. Your first levels will always suck, even if you are otherwise experienced in Chip's Challenge. If you get feedback on levels saying what's poor about them, rather than trying to fix those levels, I would suggest you take the feedback as guidance for future levels. (Of course some levels can be fixed, but many times a poor level might require a complete overhaul and it's just annoying to have too many versions of a set.) Even if you decide to update levels, remember also that all feedback is not something you need to fix if that's a conscious choice from the designer. For example, if someone complains about a bust, you might decide to leave it in for fun. Two of the main things to keep in mind when making levels is to try and figure out how a player will experience and understand the level when playing for the first time, and also that not all levels are meant for everyone, but rather try to make the level enjoyable to your intended audience.

Have fun making levels!