Poll: How would you describe the first level you ever made yourself?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
simple yet satisfying
23.81%
5 23.81%
decent though conventional
14.29%
3 14.29%
substandard but one has to start somewhere
23.81%
5 23.81%
convoluted, ugly, and unplayable
9.52%
2 9.52%
forgettable and possibly lost somewhere
28.57%
6 28.57%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What was the first CC level you made?
You can name and even link to the first level you ever created below. I realize there are many ways one can define that term, so tell us how you define it or how your level fits that term.

My first level that I drew in an editor is called Five by Five and I have not really released it, but there is a version of it in kidsfair.ccl level #49

https://forum.bitbusters.club/thread-887.html

The first level I released to the public was for the create competition of September 2010, called Class is in Session. The level was quite tricky and I would believe nobody else has ever solved it. Ask me about it if you want to see it. I think I should release an updated version of it at some point in the future, and a simplified version too.

What about you guys?
My first level, which is now lost forever, was called "Ice Slide" and took up a small piece of the upper left corner. Basically, Chip just had to walk a short path of alternating dirt and gravel squares to get some yellow keys, then go back to the start, slide on a twisty ice path, pass by the exit, go through a force floor, open some yellow doors, dodge one ball, and get a chip and some suction shoes to get back. Not exactly the best material ever...but it felt pretty revolutionary to be able to use an editor at the time!
I think Unwanted Guest from tensorpudding-1 was the first level I finished, although I started working on The Great Big Chip Heist first. I wanted to make a level which emulated CCLP3's 9x9 levels.

They both appeared in my first set release when I released 30 levels. I don't remember exactly, but I think both of them are in the CCLP1 voting pile (The Great Big Chip Heist might be blacklisted, but I remember one person nominated it).
It was "JUNIOR SCHOOL" from TomP1.dat. Funny how after so many years I didn't realise I took out a chip and made it impossible to finish. Tongue
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
I don't remember for sure but I can guess that my first level was "Square" which is now in mobius1 (I think... Rolling eyes correction: it's not. ). A small 15x15 grid, 9 room level. It's not an amazing level, but it's not too bad either. I'm proud of it for my first ever level. If that wasn't it then I don't remember.

I made a lot of alterations of levels from the original game. I also made quite a bit of remakes from other games like Lemmings Paintball for some reason... I was playing them at the time I guess. But they didn't end being very good levels.

I just remember being overjoyed at having an editor! My first editor of any game ever.

I must admit I'm surprised to see others here who appear to be almost as late to the level design phase as me. I mean I started making levels only officially until after CCLP3 already existed I think... (but I stopped for a while until recently) Now I'm not really sure if what I'm saying makes sense because the years went by so fast and everything is just a blur.
my CC2 sets: Mobi's Challenge (166 levels)
Walls of CCLP2 (V2) presently: ~50 levels

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakwin Rinzai

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
-'The Dude' Lebowski
The very very first level I made, was called 'Spinning''. I created this, as well as another 124 levels, however, the computer I was working on this in, crashed and thus the levelset ceased to exist... I don't remember exactly how the level looked, but it did take up the whole map. It was linear, starting in the upper left corner, and was filled with ice and monster dodging. There was some key swapping too I think...

Also, it had 12 chips to collect, and a time limit of 500 seconds. If I remember this much, maybe I should recreate it sometime...
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
My first level ever made was MikeLrejects #1 (GOING BLOCKO). It (and many others scattered around the early levels of MikeLrejects and MikeL2) were originally made on paper probably around 1998 to 2001, and I converted them all to "real" levels once I downloaded the editor in 2001. I believe I converted them in the order I had created them on paper - my paper goal was to have a set of 99 levels (and in my mind, it would have been its own "game", called Michael's Challenge Tongue) with the last level being BIRTHDAY (MikeL2 #99, which was possibly the actual first level I made on paper, I'm not 100% sure). I ended up releasing my first set shortly after I finished creating it in August 2001. It might have actually had 104 levels in its first release, despite my original goal of 99. In this first set (MikeL1) levels 1-8, 10-63, 66-78 and 99 were based on my levels from paper, and the rest were created only in the editor to "fill out" the set (some of the later ones being based on CC1 levels). My "original" level 9 differed completely from "paper" level 9 because I couldn't figure out the teleport patterns at the time (once I did, I created the level "again" - MikeL2 #94 I think, "Squares"). And I had to make new designs for the level 64 and 65 slots since my paper version of those levels involved a new tile, the diagonal boot. Tongue

Wow, I went a bit off topic there... Confused
Mike L

My level sets:
MikeL2 - 200 levels, updated 1/22/2017
MikeL2-fix - Lynx compatible version of MikeL2
MikeL3 - 86 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - a best-of set with levels from MikeL2, MikeL4 or my now-hidden rejects set
MikeL4 - 27 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - home of any new post-2009 levels I make
MikeLrejects - 351 levels, updated 5/16/2013 - all my older/experimental/not as good levels
The diagonal boot? Slight smile How exactly would the controls for that have worked?
Quote:The diagonal boot? Slight smile How exactly would the controls for that have worked?
I guess by holding 2 arrow keys (i.e. right and down to jump diagonally southeast) at the same time? Smiley

Actually, I remember playing CC at my aunt's house way back (before I would have designed most of my paper levels) and their keyboard included diagonal arrow keys... I tested them out in CC, but all it did was move you 2 squares (right one down one, etc) to get to the tile diagonal to it...but come to think of it, I bet this inspired the diagonal boot. Slight smile
Mike L

My level sets:
MikeL2 - 200 levels, updated 1/22/2017
MikeL2-fix - Lynx compatible version of MikeL2
MikeL3 - 86 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - a best-of set with levels from MikeL2, MikeL4 or my now-hidden rejects set
MikeL4 - 27 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - home of any new post-2009 levels I make
MikeLrejects - 351 levels, updated 5/16/2013 - all my older/experimental/not as good levels
I remember playing this weird Shareware game from the 90s called "Ball Game 2" where, basically, you were a ball rolling around a two-dimensional series of platforms and had to avoid falling off. It was the first game I ever played in which diagonal movement was required to beat some of the levels. Thumbs up