Chess - Candidates tournament
"You can only play in 1 tournament at a time. If you'd like to change this, upgrade your account now!"

No thanks Chess.com. I've resigned from my current tournament so I can play in the CCBBC one. My rating got trashed even further, but I'm okay with that. I can enjoy the challenge of building it up again Slight smile (it's 946 now LOL)
Alright, now we only need Josh and BlazingApollo to join the tournament. Do so ASAP, because it officially starts in 2 days from today. Slight smile
Quote:Alright, now we only need Josh and BlazingApollo to join the tournament. Do so ASAP, because it officially starts in 2 days from today. Slight smile

Okay now you only need BlazingApollo to join Slight smile
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Hell yeah let's move them pieces!
Hello'v'ryone's'is' rockdet Ænigma Mælström (any word with æ because it's funny), master of non sequitur buckets!
My YouTube Channel
Rock-Alpha(It's a great game, Bill) 65 levels, including "Voices" and the world-infamous famous "Bloblake"!
Rock-Beta (You should try it, Bill) 50 levels, including "Unicorn Rabbit" and "The Sedna Suite" odyssey!
Rock-Gamma (Woah, really, Bill?!) 40 levels, including "Uncle duo ha ha ha ha ha" and many other surprises and what the actual f*** moments!
Teeth "We are after all in the future, where the past is king and the paste is ming." -raocow
Alright. Everybody is registered and is all ready to go... which means this is the LAST CALL for anybody who would like to participate at the last minute! If so, please let me know as soon as possible before tomorrow morning (about 12 hours after this post). It is possible to add people to a tournament even after it becomes full, if I edit the settings.
OK, the tournament has started, but how do I get to play my games? It says the tournament has not started even though it started 3 hours 15 minutes ago according to the scheduled start time.
It appears to be a bug, so I will start it manually. Your games should appear shortly, so keep refreshing!
OH MAN IT'S ON GUYS!!!
Hello'v'ryone's'is' rockdet Ænigma Mælström (any word with æ because it's funny), master of non sequitur buckets!
My YouTube Channel
Rock-Alpha(It's a great game, Bill) 65 levels, including "Voices" and the world-infamous famous "Bloblake"!
Rock-Beta (You should try it, Bill) 50 levels, including "Unicorn Rabbit" and "The Sedna Suite" odyssey!
Rock-Gamma (Woah, really, Bill?!) 40 levels, including "Uncle duo ha ha ha ha ha" and many other surprises and what the actual f*** moments!
Teeth "We are after all in the future, where the past is king and the paste is ming." -raocow
So there has been talk (including some before the tournament started) about having a knockout phase afterwards. We would take the top (2, 4, 5, 6, 8, your # here) from the round robin phase and have them play against each other in some way in a second round to determine the tournament winner.

Advantages:

* makes the tournament more interesting for most players, as if it becomes clear you are not going to win the tournament (either because ajmiam somebody is dominating and/or you've lost a bunch of games early) you still have something tangible to play for besides pride
* a couple blundered games won't preclude you from winning the tournament

Disadvantages:

* makes the tournament even longer
* complete domination in the opening round can be wiped out by a single mistake in the playoff round

IF we are going to do something like this, here are some possible formats that have been thrown around: (each playoff match would presumably be a best of 2 games, white and black for each side, or they could just be single games with white going to whoever finished better in the round robin)

A* Top 2 make the playoff round, with 1 vs. 2 in the final (obviously Tongue)
B* Top 3 make the playoff round, with 2 vs. 3 and then the winner of that match playing 1 in the final
C* Top 4 make the playoff round, with 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3, and the two winners of those matches playing in the final
D* Top 4 make the playoff round, with 4 vs. 3, the winner of that match vs. 2, the winner of THAT match vs. 1 in the final
E* Top 5 make the playoff round, with 4 vs. 5 to start, and then proceed as in suggestion C (with 1 facing the 4v5 winner)
F* Top 5 make the playoff round, same idea as suggestions B and D (5v4, winner plays 3, etc.)
G* Top 6 make the playoff round, with 3 vs. 6 and 4 vs. 5 to start, and then 1 vs. the highest #'d winner and 2 vs. the lowest #'d winner, then those two winners in the final
H* Top 8 make the playoff round, with 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, 3 vs. 6, 4 vs. 5 to start, then (highest #'d winner) vs. (lowest #'d winner) and (3rd winner) vs (4th winner), and then those two winners in the final

I* Your format here

My vote goes to G. Domination in the round robin phase is rewarded by automatically progressing to the second playoff phase, and there is more excitement in general because players have two "cut lines" to chase: those near the top of the round robin standings can chase for the top 2 spots so they don't have to risk elimination in the first playoff round; and those nearer the bottom can chase for the 6th position to get in the playoff round period. I also think 6 is ideal in terms of allowing maximum entertainment (it's more fun for players to proceed onwards) without making the first round entirely pointless. It doesn't really matter to me, though, as long as we iron out what's going to happen (or NOT happen) as soon as possible.
OK, that's a bit too complicated for me to organize on my own. Since you seem super-motivated to do a second round thingy, maybe you could help organize that once the time comes? Slight smile