Dirty Interpretations of CC Levels
^This.

^ Above this.

^ Above this line.

^ Above this sentence.

^ What are you people doing?
ZK1 / ZK2 / ZK3 / ZK3: Abandoned / ZK4 / ZK5

Bronze / Silver / Gold
Quote:Well, IMO the difference between swearing/nudity and violence in movies is that the violence is fake, but the swearing and nudity are "real".

Swear words are just words. I think it would be an excellent lesson in "words only have as much meaning as people allow them to." Excellent for dealing with propaganda, hate speech, etc.

Also, if certain cultures would just get over the fact that the human body isn't something to be ashamed of, perhaps there would be less angst about a whole host of matters.

Quote:if something violent is happening in the movie and the kid is asking questions and/or is scared, the parent can tell them "don't worry, it's just pretend".

Somehow I doubt that would make The Silence Of The Lambs or Saving Private Ryan any more bearable, given how much they ring true

Quote:If you don't like this thread then just don't look here guys. Not trying to be mean or anything but seriously it's that simple.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Words have more impact than you think. You can't go around yelling "Fire!" and expect people to decide if they will listen or not.

Also, you have to consider that in the US culture, we ARE repressed and schizophrenic about the human body and sexuality. Therefore you are likely to offend SOMEBODY no matter what you say or do or post or think.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
Quote:Words have more impact than you think. You can't go around yelling "Fire!" and expect people to decide if they will listen or not.

Yeah, that's true. I was referring more to "offensive" words, though. It's worth noting that they say that, if you're in trouble, you should yell "Fire!" rather than "Rape!" or "Help!" Apparently people are more likely to come to your aid...food for thought. It's also worth noting that "Fire!" symbolizes something in our culture that it might not in others...

Quote:Also, you have to consider that in the US culture, we ARE repressed and schizophrenic about the human body and sexuality. Therefore you are likely to offend SOMEBODY no matter what you say or do or post or think.

...which is why we need to be more open about it, so that we're NOT offended by something so benign.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="11586" data-ipsquote-username="pillowpc2001" data-cite="pillowpc2001" data-ipsquote-timestamp="1337380998" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="453" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic">
if something violent is happening in the movie and the kid is asking questions and/or is scared, the parent can tell them "don't worry, it's just pretend".

Somehow I doubt that would make The Silence Of The Lambs or Saving Private Ryan any more bearable, given how much they ring true

</blockquote>

Well, most parents probably wouldn't let their young children see those anyway... Confused But yeah, I realize telling them it's just pretend probably won't make them instantly feel better... Perhaps that case in my previous post wasn't a good example, but maybe my original point would explain why many people (and the MPAA) might be more accepting of violence in movies then they are nudity and strong profanity...
Mike L

My level sets:
MikeL2 - 200 levels, updated 1/22/2017
MikeL2-fix - Lynx compatible version of MikeL2
MikeL3 - 86 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - a best-of set with levels from MikeL2, MikeL4 or my now-hidden rejects set
MikeL4 - 27 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - home of any new post-2009 levels I make
MikeLrejects - 351 levels, updated 5/16/2013 - all my older/experimental/not as good levels
Let's see what would be more scarring: seeing a woman's unclothed body during a romantic scene, or seeing that same body benig brutally hacked to death with rusty knives (but still fully clothed!).

Similarly, I wonder if it would OK to show a guy getting shot...as long as he doesn't scream "F---!" as his newly-limp body hits the ground.
I love how this thread took a straight turn over to debateism.
ZK1 / ZK2 / ZK3 / ZK3: Abandoned / ZK4 / ZK5

Bronze / Silver / Gold
It's the magic of the Internets*.

*(sic).
Quote:It's the magic of the Internets.

Well that magic should stop, since it can be controlled...

Seriously, I don't like how most of the threads on this site go off topic at some point...not pointing fingers at anyone.
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Quote:I'm not sure I like this thread. Just make sure that it stays PG-13, unlike most of the rest of the internet. lol.
That's not likely to happen anytime soon. No offense but it was BitBuster who suggested this.