ajmiam's Debut Levelset--Pit of 100 Tiles
Quote:Please clarify...?

Oh, I had tanks pop out onto me a few times and a fireball did it once too on the upper left side of the map, although I found out after I could have timed it.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
A lot of examples of what seem to be lucky timing in my set might not be because either:

1) You can observe the timing event from a safe point and figure out what times obstacles will be in the way, which usually ends up happening at regular intervals. #51 is an example--the three enemy groups are spaced evenly apart (36 tiles), you can see the whole group go by at once, and you have enough time to only slide across once or twice before waiting for the next group to go by. As you discovered, the clone machines in #58 work similarly. Some more examples of this type of timing are in one room of #64, #79 after you get a ways into it, most of #80, and one part of #96.

or

2) You can't see the timing event coming when you head toward it, but you have a chance to save yourself once you can see whether you'll be safe or not. Just a heads-up--there are a couple of examples of this in #80.

By the way, are you playing this set in Tile World or Chip's Challenge? If the latter, do all of my hints you've seen so far fit in the hint box? Are any really close to not fitting? I can't tell because I don't have Chip's Challenge, and Tile World's hint box fits WAY more text than CC's hint box.
Playing it in tile world (I have to because of running a 64 bit OS), and some levels that have had hint tiles have not had it show up at all. I don't remember what levels, I'll have to look.

And a disclaimer: These are just what I think. Take it with a grain of salt - or, several.

Level 59 was an awesome level. I like nonlinear levels, and this was good even for those.

Level 60 was me getting blobbed to the face multiple times on the last few chips I needed, but otherwhise fun.

I have no idea how I got level 61 on the first try in 25 seconds, but I did. This was neat.

Level 62 was one of the best I've played so far in the set. It's one that I'd absolutely vote for in CCLP1.

Level 63 was a good level, but it didn't have anything to make it stand out. Oh, and it's busted - you can take a block and use it to bridge to the exit instead of going through the blob room.

Level 64 is, well, another of these grid-like levels. Unfortunately, this one stretches the concept on a bit too long and I didn't like it as much as the others. May I sugjest spacing the gliders in the lower right out further? That room was harder than the rest of the level and it didn't feel like it belonged.

Level 65 was creative and fun.

The first half of level 66 was very fun and intresting, but the second half (with the blocks) stretched on for too long and lost a bit of its charm. Overall, I'd still rate the level above average for the set.

Level 67 was intresting and fun, but the concept has been used too much and it was almost too easy - may I sugjest you add more chips? Not a huge number more, but add maybe 20 more throughout the level. If you make it some sort of pattern or design, it'd be even better still.

Level 68 was creative, and yes, I died to the bug in the chip hallway.

Level 69 is one of the best levels I've seen in a long time, and I can say that not only would I vote for this level in CCLP1 but that it would have a good shot at actually getting in. However, do remember that I do not have a crystal ball and can't see the future - don't quote me on this in a year.

Level 70 was fun. I did die a lot, but none of them felt cheap. This is a very well designed level.

Level 71 was tricky, but it hit that sweet spot between difficulty and simplicity that results in a really good level.

Level 72 was fun, but the concept felt like you didn't really explore it completely and it felt like the level was cheated of potential.

And I'm about to start playing level 73, so I'll let you know what I think later.

Overall, this set continues to be quite fun.
From the comments I read from Lessinath, it sounds like a really fun set so I downloaded it and will be playing it as well! Slight smile
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Quote:Level 63 was a good level, but it didn't have anything to make it stand out. Oh, and it's busted - you can take a block and use it to bridge to the exit instead of going through the blob room.

Actually, that "bust" is what was meant to make the level stand out. It rewards players who keep their ultimate objective in mind rather than just forging on ahead.

(Am I the only one who likes to add shortcuts to levels?)

Also, if you are in the process of playing the set, please don't play past level 80 until I put an update up tonight. I realize now that some of the later levels are probably a bit harder than I intended and I will be making them easier (as well as making 46 and 64 less frustrating, and fixing 24 and 30.)

I'm glad you liked 70! Based on your previous comments, I wasn't sure whether you would love it or hate it. Did you ever play (or see) the level I based it on (which is from another videogame)?

Oh, and as for 61, you may have been (sub)consciously influenced by...something to do with the level. (Icedeath is not an acronym, hint, hint.)

EDIT: Updated the set as of 8:10 this evening (2/13/12). The following levels were changed: 24, 30, 46, 53, 64, 78, 79, 81, 82, 84, 89, 96, and 97. The first two were bug fixes; the last was fixing a typo; the rest were to reduce frustration.
I find myself with a strong inclination to LP this set - do you guys think it fits my style, or another LP'er's style better? Some of those levels jump out at me immediately as being perfect for LP purposes, and as long as the dodging on the action levels isn't totally insane I can have lots of fun with it. If it does get going I will start sometime in March...
Quote:From the comments I read from Lessinath, it sounds like a really fun set so I downloaded it and will be playing it as well! Slight smile
I have no doubt you'll like it. I think part of the reason I like it so much is becuse I've got a partially finished levelset that has levels that share a lot of concepts with levels in this set but I have those concepts play out completely differantly. It's nice to see a differant twist ideas, especially when you know it's happened completely on accident.

Quote:I find myself with a strong inclination to LP this set - do you guys think it fits my style, or another LP'er's style better? Some of those levels jump out at me immediately as being perfect for LP purposes, and as long as the dodging on the action levels isn't totally insane I can have lots of fun with it. If it does get going I will start sometime in March...

I don't think the set is a perfect match for you to play because there are a good number of levels with dodging, but I DO think you'd enjoy it if you decided to do it.

It's overall pretty easy, so I don't picture any rage moments even with some of the harder screws. It has a lot of levels that would be good for CCLP1, you know, lots of 1 to 3 star difficulty levels. As far as time goes, the first 50 levels of the set took me about four hours of playing time. You might rage on level 38 if you cannot quickly solve it, but I can't see the future. I will admit I had to open the editor to solve level 38 even though everything is visible.

I would say, even if you don't LP the set you should play through it.

Quote:Actually, that "bust" is what was meant to make the level stand out. It rewards players who keep their ultimate objective in mind rather than just forging on ahead.

(Am I the only one who likes to add shortcuts to levels?)

Also, if you are in the process of playing the set, please don't play past level 80 until I put an update up tonight. I realize now that some of the later levels are probably a bit harder than I intended and I will be making them easier (as well as making 46 and 64 less frustrating, and fixing 24 and 30.)

I'm glad you liked 70! Based on your previous comments, I wasn't sure whether you would love it or hate it. Did you ever play (or see) the level I based it on (which is from another videogame)?

Oh, and as for 61, you may have been (sub)consciously influenced by...something to do with the level. (Icedeath is not an acronym, hint, hint.)

EDIT: Updated the set as of 8:10 this evening (2/13/12). The following levels were changed: 24, 30, 46, 53, 64, 78, 79, 81, 82, 84, 89, 96, and 97. The first two were bug fixes; the last was fixing a typo; the rest were to reduce frustration.

I'll download the set again and check those levels I've played again. I'm on 73, I've been stalling because I dislike blue wall mazes.

Level 24 plays the same, but it's not busted now Tongue

Level 30 works most of the time, unless the last teeth cloned dies - then there can be problems.

Level 46 is now a very good level, because it makes you think about what you want to spend gliders or blocks on and what you can easily use walkers for.

The time limit on level 53 is much better now.

Level 64 is better now as well.

Level 73 was actually suprisingly fun.

It is indeed a strict time limit on 74. I ran out of time two steps from the exit once.

Level 75 was also good, but I'm going to stop there for now.
You got it, you understood how to do it.

Your titles thrills me, makes me want to play your set Tongue If only I had more time on my hands, man!
Hello'v'ryone's'is' rockdet Ænigma Mælström (any word with æ because it's funny), master of non sequitur buckets!
My YouTube Channel
Rock-Alpha(It's a great game, Bill) 65 levels, including "Voices" and the world-infamous famous "Bloblake"!
Rock-Beta (You should try it, Bill) 50 levels, including "Unicorn Rabbit" and "The Sedna Suite" odyssey!
Rock-Gamma (Woah, really, Bill?!) 40 levels, including "Uncle duo ha ha ha ha ha" and many other surprises and what the actual f*** moments!
Teeth "We are after all in the future, where the past is king and the paste is ming." -raocow
Quote:Level 30 works most of the time, unless the last teeth cloned dies - then there can be problems.

Hmmm...I've tried testing the updated version of Level 30 in both Tile World and Tile World 2's MS mode. I've tried cloning a single teeth and leading it into bombs/water, cloning multiple teeth and letting them all die, and doing both of these things with anywhere from 0 to 5 teeth stuck in the "goal" areas, including with 2 teeth stuck in the same goal. I still haven't run into any problems. Can you explain what happened in greater detail, please?

Oh, and BigOto2, I would be honored if you would LP my set! Hopefully you wouldn't find it too frustrating, as the levels with the hardest dodging are very short and/or have the hardest dodging close to the beginning. All dodging has at least some margin for error, with the exception of the very start of level 83 and partway through 87. There are some puzzles and plenty of "mixed" levels, too.

On the other hand, I know rockdet is busy, but from what I've seen of his videos, he likes more action-based levels, so maybe he would be a good match for my set...?

EDIT: There's going to be another update coming out soon (probably this afternoon). This will fix the Controller Glitch in #76, add a chip back to #78 to maintain the design pattern, make #79 a bit easier, and fix a minor MS bust in #91.

EDIT 2: The update will also fix an error in #98 in MS (Controller Glitch for the teeth in the trap).

EDIT 3: Done! Updated to version 1.002. Note: I also decided to remove Level 99 from CCLP1 submission. You'll see why when you get there. It's meant to be a half-experimental, half-joke level (sort of like a milder version of Final Destination), and I don't think anyone should ever be required to clear it to complete an official levelset. I still submit the other 98 levels (all except 50 and 99) for CCLP1, and I will not be removing any of them from submission unless I have an extremely good reason to.
I'm not sure exactly what happened. It seemed to happen most when two teeth would enter the same trap, with one stuck on the force floor.