Poll: How old are you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Less than 13
6.38%
3 6.38%
13-17
34.04%
16 34.04%
18-21
23.40%
11 23.40%
22-28
21.28%
10 21.28%
29+
14.89%
7 14.89%
Total 47 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How old are you?
I'm currently depressed and I'm only 20... You should consider yourself "lucky" I guess.
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Quote:The best you can do is minimize the possiblity of bad outcome and maximize the possibilty of the good. Hedge funds anyone?

That also depends on the degree to which those outcomes are good and bad. People are massively risk averse in general, and this causes them to lose out on tons of expected value. An example from David Sklansky's book "DUCY?": (warning: a bit long)

[Click to Show Content]

On topic, I recently turned 19 and I'm nowhere near depressed. I don't know why depression would be the natural state for those in our age group...?

Also, +1 to Markus' post, mostly.
Quote:That also depends on the degree to which those outcomes are good and bad. People are massively risk averse in general, and this causes them to lose out on tons of expected value. An example from David Sklansky's book "DUCY?": (warning: a bit long)

<div class="ipsSpoiler" data-ipsspoiler>
[Click to Show Content]

On topic, I recently turned 19 and I'm nowhere near depressed. I don't know why depression would be the natural state for those in our age group...?

Also, +1 to Markus' post, mostly.

Well the age has nothing to do with why I'm depressed. Just all the nonsense I've been forced to deal with the past couple of days. It tends to go away quickly though so no one should be concerned Slight smile I feel fine being on the Zone!
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
I go through depression attacks sometimes, usually due to low self-esteem, but they pass once the problem has been resolved. I'm a very event-based person; something must happen to trigger a feeling or emotion inside me.
Quote:I'm currently depressed and I'm only 20... You should consider yourself "lucky" I guess.

Well, I've been depressed for well over a decade now. Pretty much the only joy I get out of life is in pop music. I don't really see that changing in the near future; when I was a teenager I kept expecting it to, but it never did.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
I just turned 23 and I'm depressed. But this has nothing to do with my age.
Hello'v'ryone's'is' rockdet Ænigma Mælström (any word with æ because it's funny), master of non sequitur buckets!
My YouTube Channel
Rock-Alpha(It's a great game, Bill) 65 levels, including "Voices" and the world-infamous famous "Bloblake"!
Rock-Beta (You should try it, Bill) 50 levels, including "Unicorn Rabbit" and "The Sedna Suite" odyssey!
Rock-Gamma (Woah, really, Bill?!) 40 levels, including "Uncle duo ha ha ha ha ha" and many other surprises and what the actual f*** moments!
Teeth "We are after all in the future, where the past is king and the paste is ming." -raocow
So, BitBuster, should I expect a "Why are you depressed?" thread?

I think depression is a lot more common than people think, and because of the stigma attached by people who don't suffer and don't understand ("Just pull yourself up by your bootstraps!" "You're only depressed because you have a bad attitude!") most of us avoid getting some sort of relief. In my case, I have a particular inherited chemical deficiency that I wish had been diagnosed much earlier than it was. Also, fortunately, I don't have to be on medication or in therapy -- I just have to know what's "normal for me" and what is not.

And on a lighter note, it's likely that my particular condition was suffered by Viking beserkers. Which is sort of cool.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
...well, I think it deserves a thread of its own, but I'm caught in a bind here: people don't like it when threads digress, and then they don't like a smattering new threads. So many you should take charge of starting threads based on digressions and take the heat. Wink

My boss used to tell me that people with depression were "f---ing losers." He was apparently unaware that it is a serious medical condition. I mean, he also said that being homeless was a lifestyle choice, so it was rare that I took anything he said too seriously.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
LOL. I suppose he thought cancer was brought on by bad attitude as well.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
Well, he used to complain about people who wasted their money on stupid things. Then he would go into his office and start to chain smoke.

When it came to his take on "bad attitude," he basically thought everyone was a "f---ing a--hole." And he would say this directly to customers. He'd chase them out of the store if he got angry enough. And when he asked me if I thought he went too far, I shook my head and said, "No, sir." Good times.