new tile ideas
someone in discord mentioned the idea of "Chips challenge 3" and it reminded me to post this list of new tile ideas I made long ago:

(some of these are based on CC1 and 2 elements while some are based/copied from concepts from another game called "Enigma". So this is my fantasy concept tile idea list for Chips Challenge 3. Tongue

Feel free to post your own ideas Smiley

changes to existing elements:

1. keys/doors, teleports, and toggle doors/bombs now all come in 9 varieties: red, blue, yellow, green, orange, purple, black, white, grey.

black white and grey keys can be dropped like items. If dropped into ice and FFs they move with them like an enemy would.

So you may have multiple types of toggle doors in one level working independently. [sort of like in Chuck's Challenge)

2. Clone Machines may clone items and keys and players.

unfinished idea: a new way of changing what a clone machines creates.

3. Wires may be placed over plain walls and (over or under) most tiles. And TNT actually destroys wires (for those unaware this doesn't happen in CC2, even though it appears like it does}.

unfinished ideas:

4. Transmogrifier: I'd like to somehow be able to turn Chip into an enemy or creature that is forced to behave like enemies (Fireballs etc).

5. Rover needs to follow a more reliable set of rules. Also: option to have the Rover follow a specific pre-programmed path.

NEW ELEMENTS:

INVINCEIBILITY STAR

chip cannot die to enemies or hazards (walks over them) for several seconds, (similar to the Mario star)

BLACK HOLE

everything except ghosts are killed in black holes. All blocks disappear forever in them. Chip can only walk over black holes with the hover boots

CRACKED FLOOR

has up to four types: this floor can be walked on once, 2, 3 or 4 times until it breaks depending on how cracked it is.

CRACKED ICE

works similar to cracked floor but has same properties as ice and water is underneath

SPIKES

kills player, ants, centipedes, walkers, balls. Can be turned on and off with a button. Destroys ice and plastic blocks. Other blocks can be pushed over them.

ELEVATOR

(idea comes from a game Tyler Sontag made, talked about in discord recently)

essentially allows chip to walk on top of walls and canopy. (But can't walk *through* walls like a ghost).

HOVER CRAFT

vehicle which works like a moving platform; chip can get on and ride on a predefined path (unless carying the license) while on the hover craft, player is protected from enemies and all hazards like water or black holes.

Except it avoids train tracks.

TRAIN

vehicle that follows tracks. PLayer is protected from enemies while on the train. Cannot dictate where to go unless carrying the license.

LAVA

fire like substance that slowly spreads across floor on it's own. Is blocked by most other tiles like walls and gravel. If it encounters dirt; the dirt is turned into gravel.

Dirt blocks pushed into lava turn to gravel.

Ice blocks pushed into lava turn to water.

TORTOISE

a moving monster which is NOT an enemy; works like a moving turtle but never sinks. Chip can ride a tortoise across water

WOODEN BLOCK

is destroyed in water/fire/lava. Can only push one at a time.

PLASTIC BLOCK

floats in water (can be pushed over water like floor without turning water into floor). Can push multiple blocks at a time.

STONE BLOCK

Cannot not be destroyed by bowling ball or laser. turns to floor in water/lava. Can be pushed into enemies to kill them.

LASER

shoots deadly beam in one (of four) direction. Can be turned on and off and direction changed with buttons. Destroys chip and all enemies and dirt/ice/wooden/plastic blocks.

RECEPTACLE

catches a laser and if wired activates other objects (like a pink button does)

MIRROR

reflects a laser in different directions depending on how moved. Mirrors can be rotated on train tracks

COIN SLOT DOOR

toggle door that allows 1 player or enemy through per one coin.

RICHOCHET BLOCK

pushing on it (from opposite side) will push blocks and enemies adjacent to it away in the direction you pushed. If player is standing adjacent to one and an enemy hits it player will be pushed away.

SWAP BLOCK

Swaps places with adjacent (non enemy) tile when pushed on. Even walls for example can be moved with this block.

TETRIS BLOCK

blocks with different symbols that fit together and form bigger blocks. These larger "tetris" piece like blocks can be moved as one big unit. Can be broken apart with the hook or time bomb.

MAIL SYSTEM

items dropped into the mail tile get sent (with button press) to other mail station. Items must be picked up before placing more.

NEW ITEMS:

MAGIC SATCHEL

adds new slots to inventory: when carrying the satchel up to 8 items can be held at once.

BAIT

when dropped: all teeth on the level will ignore chip and instead be attracted to the bait. If a teeth is able to move onto the tile the bait is on after several seconds the teeth will eat the bait then return to following Chip.

HAZMAT SUIT

allows player to walk across slime

SOAP

allows player to walk across slime and erase it.

FIRE EXTINGUISHER

erases fire and lava

HOVER BOOTS

allows player to walk across black hole and spikes

SKELETON KEY

opens any door once

MAGIC KEY

opens any door infinitely.

MAGIC WAND

can change walls and some tiles into different things when pressed on. (unfinished idea)

HAMMER

allows chip to destroy blocks (cannot move them while carrying hammer)

LISCENCE

lets player control hover craft and train

--------------

there were some things in Puzzle Studio which intrigued me but it's been so long since I played that that I can't remember most of them. I remember a bowling ball that moved slowly but not exactly how it worked.

Ideas I'm particularly fond of are the: bait, multiple colored toggle doors, laser and mail system.
my CC2 sets: Mobi's Challenge (166 levels)
Walls of CCLP2 (V2) presently: ~50 levels

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakwin Rinzai

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
-'The Dude' Lebowski
Multiple different colors of blocks and switches that require the color to be held down to open doors, exactly like in Chuck's Challenge. Block shuffling puzzles were interesting enough already with only needing to get blocks to buttons, imagine having to get specific blocks to specific buttons, too!
My CC1 levelsets: (25, 150, 149, 149, 149, 149, 60, 149, 43, +2 = 1025 total)
25 levels.dat | Ultimate Chip.dat | Ultimate Chip 2.ccl | Ultimate Chip 3.dac | Ultimate Chip 4.zip | Ultimate Chip 5 | Ultimate Chip 6 Walls of CCLP4 i^e
IHNN-Ultimate: 147 of my best levels (through UC5), plus 2 entirely new ones. May be overhauled soon.

My CC2 levelsets: (100, ???)
IHNN1 | IHNN2

My CC score tracker. Has lots of cool automated features!
Twitch | Youtube | Twitter
For now i'll just mention that this thread exists if you want to see what some others thought of. (And apparently there's another one? Idk where that is.)
CCMiniLP, my CCLP1 submissions. Outdated, not recommended.
CCSignificantlyLargerLP, my CCLP4 submissions. More current than my main set.
Consistent Inconsistency (ongoing), my main CC1 custom set. (discussion)
RyanJ1.dat (ongoing), my main CC2 custom set. (discussion)
Mystery Project (unfinished) (previews)

YouTube | Twitch | Steam
Chip needs to have more defensive tools like the helmet from CC2. Really useful item from annoying blob or walker levels. Also, the invincibility star seems to be a great idea. Chip needs tools to kill some of the monsters besides guiding them to water, fire, or bombs. Great ideas though.Slight smile
Here are some elements that I like:

Droppable Keys

Black Hole

Cracked Ice

Spikes

Elevator

Tortoise

Laser and Mirrors

Coin Slot Door (Which I imagine uses the Thief Bribe)

Mail System

Hazmat Suit

Hover Boots

Skeleton Key

Hammer
MY WEAPON SUCKS!
Quote:On 3/3/2018 at 3:35 PM, mobius said:

someone in discord mentioned the idea of "Chips challenge 3" and it reminded me to post this list of new tile ideas I made long ago:

(some of these are based on CC1 and 2 elements while some are based/copied from concepts from another game called "Enigma". So this is my fantasy concept tile idea list for Chips Challenge 3. Tongue

I'll say in advance, most of these are great ideas that I'd love to see in a new version of the game. Slight smile

1. keys/doors, teleports, and toggle doors/bombs now all come in 9 varieties: red, blue, yellow, green, orange, purple, black, white, grey.

I like the idea of expanding on the types of keys/doors/teleports/etc., but I wish we could stop color-coding them. It's restrictive to artists designing new graphics. Tongue

(I don't know if anyone noticed, but my new CC2 editor avoids color-based element names as much as is realistically possible.)

4. Transmogrifier: I'd like to somehow be able to turn Chip into an enemy or creature that is forced to behave like enemies (Fireballs etc).

Very interesting idea!

BLACK HOLE

everything except ghosts are killed in black holes. All blocks disappear forever in them. Chip can only walk over black holes with the hover boots

Should probably be safe for both ghosts and gliders (since they have so many other concepts in common).

I'd also call it something like "Bottomless Pit", since "black hole" implies a rather different type of structure.

BAIT

when dropped: all teeth on the level will ignore chip and instead be attracted to the bait. If a teeth is able to move onto the tile the bait is on after several seconds the teeth will eat the bait then return to following Chip.

What about timid (blue) teeth? Do they stop running from Chip and move toward the bait?

(And presumable the opposite is true for both types of teeth when the active player is Melinda.)

SKELETON KEY

opens any door once

This idea has a LOT of potential!

MAGIC KEY

opens any door infinitely.

Although this one might be a bit too much.

MAGIC WAND

can change walls and some tiles into different things when pressed on. (unfinished idea)

Guardedly, this sounds like a pretty cool concept (depending on what sorts of changes are allowed).

Ideas I'm particularly fond of are the: bait, multiple colored toggle doors, laser and mail system.

Definitely like the toggle doors and laser ideas. Slight smile
Quote:On 3/3/2018 at 9:30 PM, mmoraleta said:

Chip needs to have more defensive tools like the helmet from CC2.

Agreed. The helmet is really fun to play with.

Quote:On 3/3/2018 at 9:30 PM, mmoraleta said:

Chip needs tools to kill some of the monsters besides guiding them to water, fire, or bombs.

I disagree with this, though. In my opinion, one of the things that really sets Chip's Challenge apart as a game is that it is purely puzzle-driven, with nothing that even remotely resembles combat. A LOT of games have some kind of player-driven combat, and it gets really boring. I like how in Chip's Challenge, you instead simply use the environment against your enemies. Slight smile
Quote:35 minutes ago, The Architect said:

I disagree with this, though. In my opinion, one of the things that really sets Chip's Challenge apart as a game is that it is purely puzzle-driven, with nothing that even remotely resembles combat. A LOT of games have some kind of player-driven combat, and it gets really boring. I like how in Chip's Challenge, you instead simply use the environment against your enemies. Slight smile

And then I had to go and design DUNGEON QUEST Tongue

I agree with this point, but also think there are plenty of creative and non-violent ideas for tools that can destroy/remove monsters. I agree I wouldn't want Chip to have a sword or a gun or anything like that, but I think TNT and bowling balls are awesome, and it might be nice to have standard cherry bombs that were droppable. Lasers turrets would be awesome too. Or a 'freeze' gun.
My CC1 custom levelset, JoshuaBoneLP.dat
My 'Walls of CC1' custom levelset for CC2, JBoneWOCC.zip, containing levels based on the first 28 levels of CC1.
My CC2 misfit levels, JBoneMisfits.zip, containing 4 levels that didn't fit anywhere else.
Designer totals:
15 levels in CCLP3
52 levels in CC2
Public Apology: I'm very, very sorry about HAUNTED CASTLE, ANTARCTICA, and the endings on VENICE and THINKTANK.
Now that you've mentioned it chip having a weapon is a stupid idea. Tongue But I agree with the opportunities to destroy the monsters based on the resources given. Cloners Maze is a great example.

Helmets are cool though.
Quote:7 hours ago, Joshua Bone said:

... a 'freeze' gun.

Yes to this!