December 2015 Time Trial
Anyone craving for a Time Trial? I am. It's time we finish off the year with a bang! I made two levels for you to try. The first is a simple 'dodge the monsters'-level, which I was happy make a bit more chaotic with an addition of a toggle button. The second level is an item fetcher I really enjoyed playing, and even optimizing it wasn't quite as bad as I thought it could be. Give them a go!

http://cczone.invisionzone.com/index.php?/files/file/519-%7B?%7D/

Deadline is the first weekend of January. Send your solutions to me at valeosote at hotmail dot com, thank you. No freezing of scores this month, to keep the suspense at the end of the year.

Standard technicalities apply:

1) The person with the highest combined remaining time on the two levels wins! There may be a tie in overall score.
2) You may enter in either MS or Lynx, with the former being the primary rule<span style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif;">s. This means that any Lynx solution times that exceed the best MS solution time will be considered equal to that MS time, but otherwise all the times will be compared together in one category.
3) Please send your solutions (either the tws file or avis) to my own email valeosote at hotmail dot com. (Avoid the other emails this time, sorry.) Do not post your solutions or solution times or share them with others before the competition results are announced. (This month, we won't use 'freezing' of scores.) All times will be published at the same time, and the quickest solutions will eventually be released. I will strive to respond to your message by a confirmation that your score has been recorded.
4) The levels aren't too hard to solve. Don't be afraid to send in your solutions even if you sense they aren't perfect, and simple casual solutions are also appreciated. You may enter if you solve at least one of the levels, but solving both will obviously place higher.
5) This is part of the 2015 season of the Chip Cup. Winner will be awarded 15 points, second place 12, third 10 points, and so on. If you win a competition here for the first time, you receive the "You're Winner!" award. All participants who haven't participated in a Time Trial earlier receive the "Run, Chip, Run" award.
6) Submission deadline is January 3rd, 2016 where you live. I will judge the submissions without warning the during the following days but will accept submissions until I do. If you need a more specific time, you can always ask. To avoid losing on time (it is a time trial after all), get your solutions in early rather than later! You can send in improvements while the competition is running, so there is no downside to sending in something you know might not be your best effort if you had forever to work on it.

7) The designer of the levels, may enter the competition, as long as they feel to not have gained any significant advantage as a result of having some advanced knowledge of the levels.

8) The levels may receive an update within the first week of their release. (Note that the levels are not being released all at once this time.) This will only be done if there is some significant problem with the first versions of the levels. Please contact me if you suspect something is off.

Enjoy!

-Miika
I've been craving a create competition for a while now, why doesn't someone make one of those? .....oh well.

Good luck to whoever enters this one. Thumbs up
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
I've been waiting for a treasure hunter type, personally... good thing CC2 score basically fills that requirement so it shouldn't be too long before getting one of those.

and I've been tinkering with an idea for a create for a while now, should be ready to go in January Thumbs up
My CC1 levelsets: (25, 150, 149, 149, 149, 149, 60, 149, 43, +2 = 1025 total)
25 levels.dat | Ultimate Chip.dat | Ultimate Chip 2.ccl | Ultimate Chip 3.dac | Ultimate Chip 4.zip | Ultimate Chip 5 | Ultimate Chip 6 Walls of CCLP4 i^e
IHNN-Ultimate: 147 of my best levels (through UC5), plus 2 entirely new ones. May be overhauled soon.

My CC2 levelsets: (100, ???)
IHNN1 | IHNN2

My CC score tracker. Has lots of cool automated features!
Twitch | Youtube | Twitter
I guess you two didn't see the update in the Chip Cup thread... nothing special, I just sometimes hide some info in there from time to time. Planning on doing both a create and a treasure hunt before the year is over Wink That's what the actual 'bang' is, not just this comp. (Doesn't mean I wouldn't still love to see any and all solutions to these two levels from everyone! Come on, you know you want to try them!)
Did you receive my solutions? I haven't received a confirmation after sending in my scores (around 18th December).

I will strive to respond to your message by a confirmation that your score has been recorded.
I didn't get any responses either, and I sent in my solutions back on the 4th. I triple-checked the e-mail I sent to, though, so it should be fine.

Ignore this I missed the response while looking through Tongue
25 levels.dat | Ultimate Chip.dat | Ultimate Chip 2.ccl | Ultimate Chip 3.dac | Ultimate Chip 4.zip | Ultimate Chip 5 | Ultimate Chip 6 Walls of CCLP4 i^e
IHNN-Ultimate: 147 of my best levels (through UC5), plus 2 entirely new ones. May be overhauled soon.

IHNN1 | IHNN2

Yes, I haven't looked at any of the submissions yet. I did get one from you, Ruben, but haven't opened it yet so that's why there has not been a response. I'm posting the results in a few days (*crosses fingers*) so anyone who still wants to take a crack at a few Chip Cup points can still send something in!
Hi guys! I just finished compiling these results, and here they are:

1. Ihavenoname248_ 49 + 372 = 421

2. Kevin__________ 48 + 371 = 419

3. rubenspaans__ 47LX + 367LX = 414 LX

4. Syzygy_______ 40MS + 347LX = 387 (also 36LX and 246MS)

5. Cyberdog_______ 34 + 338 = 372

Congrats to IHNN! Kevin did put up a fight though, so it wasn't an easy win. And nice to see a veteran of the game as a first time entrant as well in Ruben! I wonder how much your route would have scored in MS? I also enjoyed watching the solutions of both Syzygy and Cyberdog, and always wish that more people sent in solutions like these, where you clearly have a plan but don't worry about getting it executed perfectly. Thanks to all the participants!

I didn't have a chance to record the best solutions, but we'll figure that out in a few days. Enjoy 2016!

-Miika

P.S. items collected in the second level, in order of the placements above, were:
-trap button, flippers, toggles

-toggles, flippers, fire boots

-fire boots, flippers, green key

-toggles, suction boots, green key

-trap button, flippers, suction boots

(no love for tanks!)
Quote:And nice to see a veteran of the game as a first time entrant as well in Ruben! I wonder how much your route would have scored in MS?

I didn't have a chance to record the best solutions, but we'll figure that out in a few days. Enjoy 2016!
Miika sent me Kevin and Ruben's TWS files, so I'll probably be recording and uploading the solutions tomorrow/later today (being up all night is silly).

Ruben's route translates to a 373.4 in MS, while my route was 372.2 and Kevin's a 371.6 (possibly with a move lost, but still a 371 route). My route for Seven is Not Nine is also quite different in structure from either of the other two fast routes, and I actually improved both of my levels by one second from my initial submission (on the same day, due to realizing dumb mistakes).

Fun pair of levels to work on, even if the latter was a touch overwhelming. I'd be interested to hear Ruben's approach since mine was literally "okay suction boots cost time, green key is a bigger detour and has to be ended on so I'm going to ignore it to make my life easier, traps look nice, flippers cooperate, toggles make a nice cleanup".

IHNN1 | IHNN2

My approach on level 2 was to study the map and find tools with nice properties: nearby force floors allowing nice paths, chips not too scattered around and so on. I also rejected tanks early (can't go through them, causing longer paths), force floors (slow) and traps (not nice in Lynx). Fire boots+flippers+green key looked nice, so I picked it and spent some time optimizing that one. I didn't look at other item combinations.

Maybe I should have played in MS as well...