Suggestions for Create Competitions
Quote:Hi Syzygy Slight smile

If I ran the competition using your template, would you like to act as judge for the submissions? I could announce the competition start and end, as well as any other requirements. Do you have any other requirements in mind? Would you rather be part of the competition by creating a submission and someone else would judge it?

-Miika
I think a vote for the levels would be a good judgement format. Other requirements? "Lynx only" rules maybe. I would rather be part of the competition.

Edit: Small changes in the template could be allowed.
I like the idea of a create competition using a template. That was done before - Feb 2012. In my opinion, determination of the winner could be by players, by poll, similar to the voting on the CCLP1 level sets. Just to make it interesting, you couldn't vote for your own level, but you had to vote to validate your own entry.

ian
The idea of a voting system for the submissions has also been done before, in this competition. More complex than it initially seems, though that may simply be because of the way Miika did it.

EDIT: Looking at those threads again, i notice Miika never got around to explaining the evaluation mechanism he used. He partly explained it in the chatrooms, but not yet in these forums....
CCMiniLP, my CCLP1 submissions. Outdated, not recommended.
CCSignificantlyLargerLP, my CCLP4 submissions. More current than my main set.
Consistent Inconsistency (ongoing), my main CC1 custom set. (discussion)
RyanJ1.dat (ongoing), my main CC2 custom set. (discussion)
Mystery Project (unfinished) (previews)

YouTube | Twitch | Steam
Explanation added to that thread Slight smile

The idea of voting on the results has previously not turned out so well as one could hope. Once we had only a couple entries of clearly different quality, and in general it is difficult to expect many people to vote on the levels. I always found this odd, since I would think having another way to interact with the community could be very fun! Requiring designers to vote might work. Or only asking voters to pick between a couple of the best submissions to determine a winner.

I'll announce a new create competition shortly, and by the end of the submissions time we can figure out which method we want to use for judging it. Maybe we could even practice voting on the April Create Competition levels (which have been released but the competition has not been judged), if someone asked Flareon350 if he wouldn't mind.

Thanks also for all the competition ideas! In fact, I'm renaming this thread slightly to indicate that any new ideas can be added here even years from now. Keep them coming!

(Thread was 'Suggestion for Creative Competition.)

-Miika
-design a "choose your own adventure" level that has at least 2 separate possible paths

-design a level that can be no larger than 8x8 grid

-somewhat similar to ideas already mentioned; a competition to "improve" the so-called bad levels of CC1 like On the rocks. Some type of rules will have to be agreed upon to dictate how much they can change the level. (obviously erasing everything and making a new level is not what i have in mind) For example; making on the rocks smaller would greatly improve it, but most likely not win the competition, against someone who added some new and interesting thing to the level.

this is an odd one that is best explained not designing a level, but as a player's challenge:

-solve a level by only pressing 3 of the 4 directional keys. For example: the player never moves chip north but any other direction.

Teleports/ice/force floors all help in not getting stuck at one side of a level.

I plan on looking through CC1 to see if any/how many levels could be possible like this.
my CC2 sets: Mobi's Challenge (166 levels)
Walls of CCLP2 (V2) presently: ~50 levels

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakwin Rinzai

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
-'The Dude' Lebowski
Quote:this is an odd one that is best explained not designing a level, but as a player's challenge:

-solve a level by only pressing 3 of the 4 directional keys. For example: the player never moves chip north but any other direction.

Teleports/ice/force floors all help in not getting stuck at one side of a level.

I plan on looking through CC1 to see if any/how many levels could be possible like this.
There is one at least. It does sound like a workable restriction for a create competition.
Just thought of an idea today:

Take one of the five secret levels in CCLP3 and change it in such a way so that it can be completed by a beginner, without taking out or neglecting any of the concepts presented.
Quote:Just thought of an idea today:

Take one of the five secret levels in CCLP3 and change it in such a way so that it can be completed by a beginner, without taking out or neglecting any of the concepts presented.

So basically turn a difficult level into a relatively easy level? I actually kind of like this idea. Slight smile
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
A competition where the goal is to create five completely different ways of solving the level, all leading to the same exit, with the same amount of chips, but each concept used in each section can only be used in that particular section - in other words, once a concept is used in the level, you cannot reuse it.
ZK1 / ZK2 / ZK3 / ZK3: Abandoned / ZK4 / ZK5

Bronze / Silver / Gold
A competition where we have limited numbers of certain tiles, for example:

No more than 10 wall tiles

No more than 3 of each type of thin wall

No more than _ real blue walls

No cloners used as walls (only as cloners connected to buttons), no directional blocks used as walls, etc.

So we'd be restricted to make the most of what we've got, and work around the limitations.