How can I start playing this game?
Hello everybody I'm new, I hope this is the right place to write.

I saw a video on youtube of this game (

) and I have no idea how can i start playing it. Is it free? I have to buy it? i saw that there is a CC1 and CC2 on steam but they don't seem like this of the video.

Thank you very much for the help
The game there is Tile World, which is a free emulation of the Windows and Atari Lynx versions of Chip's Challenge. It was designed primarily as a replacement for the Windows version of the game, which could not be purchased legally until Chip's Challenge was released on Steam last year. Most people on this forum still prefer to play Tile World rather than the Steam version of CC1.

You can download it here: http://www.pillowpc2001.net/TW2/download.html
You should probably be playing CC2LP1.

Or go to the Chip's Challenge Wiki.
Quote:The game there is Tile World, which is a free emulation of the Windows and Atari Lynx versions of Chip's Challenge. It was designed primarily as a replacement for the Windows version of the game, which could not be purchased legally until Chip's Challenge was released on Steam last year. Most people on this forum still prefer to play Tile World rather than the Steam version of CC1.

You can download it here: http://www.pillowpc2001.net/TW2/download.html
Ty very much for the help! I started playing this game and it's a lot of fun!

I have two more questions.. what are the difference between MS and lynx? lynx seem more modern but everybody I saw they play MS (i think).

Can I make my own level? there is like a level editor? Smiley
Quote:I have two more questions.. what are the difference between MS and lynx? lynx seem more modern but everybody I saw they play MS (i think).

Can I make my own level? there is like a level editor? Smiley

All differences between the MS and Lynx rulesets can be found here.

For a level editor, the most commonly used one (to my knowledge) is CCEdit 2.0, which can be downloaded here. You can also download Chip's Challenge Level Designer here, which is another fairly common level editor. I personally prefer CCEdit 2.0, since it allows you to properly test your levels through Tile World.

Also, almost everything Chip's Challenge related can be viewed here, which includes a bunch of links to other editors and many custom levels made by various designers over the years.

By the way, welcome! Hope you enjoy the game! Slight smile
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Quote:All differences between the MS and Lynx rulesets can be found here.

There are a lot more differences than what's listed there, but those are the main ones.

Quote:lynx seem more modern but everybody I saw they play MS (i think).

Most people prefer MS, since that's the one most people started with. However, the Lynx version is actually older (1989; 1992 for MS). The reason it seems more advanced is because it was designed for a gaming system, whereas the other one is a port to a more general-purpose OS. Hardware had much greater limitations then.
CCMiniLP, my CCLP1 submissions. Outdated, not recommended.
CCSignificantlyLargerLP, my CCLP4 submissions. More current than my main set.
Consistent Inconsistency (ongoing), my main CC1 custom set. (discussion)
RyanJ1.dat (ongoing), my main CC2 custom set. (discussion)
Mystery Project (unfinished) (previews)

YouTube | Twitch | Steam
I started creating some maps for CC1 and I started understanding more things about this game Smiley but I have other questions..

Will everybody still play CC1 and not CC2? CC2 has more things.. and I think it can be a lot of fun too. Can somebody explain me why everybody still play only CC1?

What about Chuck's challenge 3d? It's new but nobody play it too.. It sounds strange to me
People still play both CC1 and CC2- both games are in a bit of a lull at the moment.

CC1 has the advantage of a very refined level editor being out and thousands of levels, so steps towards CCLP4 were being made before the announcement that CC2 was going to be released. With CCLP4 voting being ongoing, most people are spending their CC time on the voting packs, which can be found at pieguy's site.

CC2's editor is somewhat awkward to use and the sets released only go so far- there's just not a lot to do yet without really working past the editor. That being said, The Architect is working on a CC1/CC2 unified editor that should alleviate a lot of these issues and hopefully revitalize CC2. Not everybody has CC2 as well, while with Tile World everyone can easily have CC1.

CC3D is a few years old and honestly plagued with small issues. The editor is prone to glitching out one of your selections, no copy/paste in the editor, no grouping of user levels, very hard to navigate user levels, inconsistent timer, new versions rendering the leaderboards borderline useless... it's a fun game to play through but in the current state there's not really anything worth sticking around for.

And hey, that's my video in the first post! I didn't think anyone who wasn't already from here would bother watching any of those!
My CC1 levelsets: (25, 150, 149, 149, 149, 149, 60, 149, 43, +2 = 1025 total)
25 levels.dat | Ultimate Chip.dat | Ultimate Chip 2.ccl | Ultimate Chip 3.dac | Ultimate Chip 4.zip | Ultimate Chip 5 | Ultimate Chip 6 Walls of CCLP4 i^e
IHNN-Ultimate: 147 of my best levels (through UC5), plus 2 entirely new ones. May be overhauled soon.

My CC2 levelsets: (100, ???)
IHNN1 | IHNN2

My CC score tracker. Has lots of cool automated features!
Twitch | Youtube | Twitter
In addition to what was said above, CC1 is personally more enjoyable in terms of both playing through and designing levels for. The editor for CC2 really makes it difficult for a lot of us to design levels for and the main CC2 game isn't as fun as it could have been.
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Also, CC2 is designed specifically for Microsoft Windows, while the Tile World version of CC1 is designed to be cross-platform, allowing people on other OS's to play it as well. That probably contributes to its popularity.
I don't find the CC2 editor *that* clunky. Once I got used to it making levels is not that hard at all. I made a ~150 level pack and it was not frustrating to do (to speak of). I encourage anyone to play and make levels! it's a lot of fun.

Chuck's Challenge IMO is more of a different game than a sequel to CC1. I personally wouldn't say it's better or worse, just different.

I wish there was more interest in the game as well. It may get revitalized, you never know.
my CC2 sets: Mobi's Challenge (166 levels)
Walls of CCLP2 (V2) presently: ~50 levels

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakwin Rinzai

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
-'The Dude' Lebowski