February 2016 Create Competition - Walls of CCLP3
Hi Chipsters!

There are a few more days to build and enter your levels to this competition. Did CCLP4 submissions take up all your time last month? I am starting to play the levels I have while I still await a flood of levels from the rest of you!

-Miika
Results.

I know many of you like it when the levels are released as quickly as possible, even if it means you have to wait a bit for the results. And also some of you would prefer to just see the results without waiting for me to type out some of my reasoning for them immediately. We'll do those things sometimes, but this week I felt like waiting to do it all together like I prefer. Slight smile

We had six participants this month with a total of 13 submitted levels. I enjoyed just about every level, but had a hard time picking a favorite. I settled on a method I usually don't use, so let me explain it briefly. Often I pick my favorite level from each participant and then rank those levels against each other. Now that I had trouble doing that, I looked the submissions from each designer as a whole instead. I don't think this favored anyone or gave a large disadvantage to anyone either, but it did allow me to avoid some ties. Let's take a peek at what we ended up with:

[Click to Show Content]

[Click to Show Content]

[Click to Show Content]

[Click to Show Content]

[Click to Show Content]

[Click to Show Content]

There you have it. For a summary of the Chip Cup points
, check the Chip Cup 2016 thread. The levels are also available in the downloads. Be sure to add your own comments on everyone's levels and how you totally disagree with me. Slight smile Thanks for all the participants!

-Miika
Quote: "Mental Marvel Monastery
" (based on Producing
, #64)

"Tropical Hibiscus
" (based on Twisted Chambers
, #120)

"Fire is My Enemy
" (based on Jumble
, #27)

Your levels manage to hide the fact that they are based on some other wall arrangement. You design so naturally into the rooms that I totally forget that you didn't erect the walls yourself. My favorite of the three submissions is MMM. It has great variety, length, puzzles, revisiting areas and general structure. I like it more than the original level! A few small details in each level kept me from ranking you higher this month:
  • MMM, I was annoyed by the Gliders being so close together in the NW (maybe have one extra tile between them since I have to turn pretty soon after the teleport, or have one of the Gliders missing entirely for those players who want to wait for the larger gap).
  • FiME, the fire at (25,21) could go (when I come into the area I don't know what I need to do, and even when I did I do not like the precision required here). Great puzzle in the previous room though!
  • TroHib, it's too bad that one section prohibits Lynx solvability, and otherwise, having seen a similar structure before, filling the whole level with these ffs was not my favorite idea compared to the others.

MMM: I'm quite surprised a level that took me over a half a week to make got shot down by only one fault (which I guess I can expand the paths between gliders) but oh well. I was also expecting you to catch all the references it uses, which I can only assume you did since it'd be hard not to. But you didn't point that out in your comments so I don't know.

FiME: That fire tile in particular can be window shopped upon entry to that room if playing in MS. If you were playing in Lynx, then sorry for that. It's not hard precision though, since the fire boots are there so you automatically get one extra spot to step on once obtaining them. As long as you don't get them right away, which is also obvious not to do.

TroHib: I fixed the Lynx compatibility issue about a month ago just never sent you the copy. I didn't feel like it was necessary to send you another updated version. So hopefully this level didn't get penalized just for that. As far as the force floors go, I wanted something that provided contrast and overall an easier level, which I feel this level did right.

It seems each of my entries got shot down by one very small fault. I'm not exactly sure if that's fair but it most have been that close of a call with the results to do so. In general though, this was a fun competition to enter and I'm fairly satisfied with 3rd place. I won't hide the fact that I would have been much happier with at least 2nd but hey it's a competition. Thanks for hosting it and congrats to chipster!
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
So, I typed up a lot on these. I guess this is a thing I do now?

First, my responses to Miika's comments on my levels:

[Click to Show Content]

Anyway, thoughts on other people's levels!

[Click to Show Content]
My CC1 levelsets: (25, 150, 149, 149, 149, 149, 60, 149, 43, +2 = 1025 total)
25 levels.dat | Ultimate Chip.dat | Ultimate Chip 2.ccl | Ultimate Chip 3.dac | Ultimate Chip 4.zip | Ultimate Chip 5 | Ultimate Chip 6 Walls of CCLP4 i^e
IHNN-Ultimate: 147 of my best levels (through UC5), plus 2 entirely new ones. May be overhauled soon.

My CC2 levelsets: (100, ???)
IHNN1 | IHNN2

My CC score tracker. Has lots of cool automated features!
Twitch | Youtube | Twitter
I like all of Flareon's submissions the most, especially Tropical Hibiscus
Queen
I knew I was going to win one of these competitions at some point, but I seriously didn't expect that it would be with Gnome. In fact, I almost rejected it to send another level (based on Jeffrey's Recess) instead.

Anyway, thanks Jeffrey for reporting the busts. And thanks Josh Slight smile
CC is awesome!

CC2 sets (still being updated): C1059-CC2 --- Walls of CC2

CC1 sets (all complete): C1059-2 --- C1059-1 --- 1059PG01 --- C1059-Christmas --- C1059-INSANITY --- C1059-CCLP4

My Youtube channel --- Fiver's Honeycomb --- Fanfiction.net

Good posts don't cost too much, yet many go unwritten.
It looks as if Miika did not award you Chipster so I went ahead and awarded that to you myself Slight smile
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

You know, Ihavenoname, the game is just as much about discovery as it is about logic. If you make an incorrect choice and have to restart, then learn from your mistake and deal with it. That's how most games go. Besides, the level is 16 seconds long and you have a 25% chance of getting it correct on the first try, so such an inconvenience is trivial at the most.
Queen
Great to hear your thoughts too on the levels guys. I agree that there were other good levels in the submissions that even I liked a lot, including Cornerstone
that I ended up ranking fourth in the competition. I said in the results post that it was hard for me to pick a favorite level, so I looked at more than just one submission from participants and that somehow lead me to the ranking I posted. On another day, and apparently for some other person, this ranking might have been different. When I have trouble comparing something, be it a level or maybe a movie or book, I resort to thinking "which of these would I rather play/watch/read again?" Often the answer comes down to what is the most entertaining or simplest to digest, and that's pretty much what my brain did here as well. When in doubt, I don't mind judging these competitions in favor of the simpler levels, even though in a different setting I might enjoy the more challenging ones.

Having said that, I did kind of shortchange a couple of the levels in my comments, particularly Josh's, by not saying what was good and just pointing out some minor issues. I have found it not to be as fun to penalize levels for small things like this, such as Tropical Hibiscus
not working in Lynx, though on a subconscious level I might still be doing that. On MMM, I didn't pay much attention to the nods to other levels, though the strongest feeling I had was in the block area similar to that in Corridor
. It has a great structure (like going back through areas that work very well as areas that you go back through), and my annoyance with the Gliders was minor (but worth mentioning). You found very good places for the teleports to make this level work in a natural way in the existing wall structure. I still think that one fire tile in Fire is My Enemy
is ill-placed particularly considering that the fireboots are not supposed to be taken immediately, though some other areas in the level are superb.

Perhaps that gives a little bit more insight into how I ranked the levels. And no matter how the results fall, I always enjoy playing your new creations! Hopefully participating and sharing levels was still fun for everyone!

-Miika
Quote:I did kind of shortchange a couple of the levels in my comments, particularly Josh's, by not saying what was good and just pointing out some minor issues. I have found it not to be as fun to penalize levels for small things like this, such as Tropical Hibiscus
not working in Lynx, though on a subconscious level I might still be doing that.

I still don't think you should penalize that level, since I did fix this already. Besides it's a really simple fix, just replace that thief that steals your flippers with water. If I have to, I'll update the submissions from this create comp to update that level.

I should also mention since I did mostly get complaints about my levels, it was quite discouraging, especially because they were very minor issues. They were worth mentioning, just not worth being the only things mentioning. I still have to disagree on your views of the fire tile in Fire is My Enemy being ill-placed and even if it is, it's not that far in the level to have to restart. On the other hand, it's a completely different matter if precision isn't your thing, but again I don't feel like it's bad and if you still feel that way then it should be appreciated that it wasn't made worse than what it could have been.

Because I can't quote someone else in edits, here's my response to RB3ProKey's comment:

I'm inclined to agree with you to an extent. In my opinion, to get a full experience of a level, you have to mess up or die sometimes, otherwise the game is just too simple. I feel like a lot of players today lost the real aspect of the game, especially after CCLP1. I think players now feel like if a level can't solved on the first try or even their third try, then it's automatically considered a bad level or not a fun level to play, which I don't think is right. I feel like CCLP2 did this spot on right as did CCLP3, but the last 20-30 levels of CCLP3 really pushed that limit and eventually went overboard with it. I am hoping CCLP4 will be like CCLP2 in regards to figuring levels out and having an overall fun experience with whatever levels make it in that set.

For your level in particular I will admit was more of a guessing game at the end but because it's a short level it wasn't that annoying. It could have been worse and I appreciate that it wasn't.
CC1
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects