March 2015 Create Competition - Rulings
Think you know Chip's Challenge and it's inner workings? Then this competition is for you!

For the past couple of years, the March Create Competition has been characterized by a mechanical restriction that has limited the submissions to be 'small', or 'short' or 'simple' in one way or another. While I have a cool new idea in that vein, I have decided to use that restriction next month instead (for reasons that will become clear at the time), so for this month I had to dig up something else. I almost saved this concept for May, but decided it was so intriguing that I couldn't wait to see what you all would cook up now! It's a mechanical restriction that is very wide in some sense, yet very narrow at the same time.

Your job is to create a level that is solvable in MS or Lynx, but not both. You may either make a level that works in MS but does not operate in Lynx, or the other way around. If you choose MS, you are free to use 'invalid tiles' and even 'advanced coding', though be advised that I will play the level in Tile World and will judge heavily on the game play, not how unintuitively you can build a level. If you choose Lynx, use some mechanic that is different in MS and yet is not too hard. Whichever you way you go, make the level fun! Make it so the differences in rules arise naturally and don't seem forced. I also encourage you to find something in the rule sets that simply can't be copied in the other in some way. This time I am looking for levels that are of reasonable difficulty and length (not too long), but will play anything you make. If you need an idea for a theme for your level to get started, I suggest you use some element from the latest dream you remember.

Notes:

-Submissions are open as long as it is March 2015 where you live!

-Do not make a overly difficult level. Please be considerate of not making the judge work too hard on solving your creation.
-The level must be solvable. If it isn't, an update is allowed but it does take extra effort so please play your levels before sending them.
-The level must be new; it must not have been released earlier.
-Please give the level a name, time limit and set a password.

-You may submit more than one entry, but please keep the levels distinct from each other. Your best two entries is recommended.
-Points will be deducted for late entries, but will be accepted until a notice is posted in this thread.

-Entrants receive the normal prizes: the "You're Winner!"-award, Chip Cup points, and "Tool Box"-award for first time entrants.
-Please ask about other unclear situations.

Email and attach your submissions to valeosote at hotmail dot com. I will strive to reply with a confirmation that I have received your entry.

I prefer if you use your username and this competition in the subject. Keep it short and simple, something like: "March Create - Barrack"

Let the submissions pour in!

-Miika
I don't see what the restriction here is... Raised eyebrow
Quote:Your job is to create a level that is solvable in MS or Lynx, but not both.
Quote:

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="31188" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic" data-ipsquote-contentid="1067" data-ipsquote-username="M11k4" data-cite="M11k4" data-ipsquote-timestamp="1425897696">Your job is to create a level that is solvable in MS or Lynx, but not both.

</blockquote>

Yes, but isn't that what a lot of designers did in pre-CCLP3 days anyway without even trying to (except when sometimes by accident the level was also solvable in Lynx)? I mean it's a criterion, but it's hardly a "restriction". How would the entries be judged? Place one invalid tile (for MS) or one clone machine block that needs to be moved (for Lynx) and I'm all set. What more do I need to be trying to do specifically?

- Madhav.
Yeah... I don't really understand this create competition so I most likely won't participate in this one.
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
Quote:Yes, but isn't that what a lot of designers did in pre-CCLP3 days anyway without even trying to (except when sometimes by accident the level was also solvable in Lynx)? I mean it's a criterion, but it's hardly a "restriction". How would the entries be judged? Place one invalid tile (for MS) or one clone machine block that needs to be moved (for Lynx) and I'm all set. What more do I need to be trying to do specifically?

- Madhav.
"Make it so the differences in rules arise naturally and don't seem forced. I also encourage you to find something in the rule sets that simply can't be copied in the other in some way."
CC is awesome!

CC2 sets (still being updated): C1059-CC2 --- Walls of CC2

CC1 sets (all complete): C1059-2 --- C1059-1 --- 1059PG01 --- C1059-Christmas --- C1059-INSANITY --- C1059-CCLP4

My Youtube channel --- Fiver's Honeycomb --- Fanfiction.net

Good posts don't cost too much, yet many go unwritten.
I've made an MS-only level with a concept that would never work in Lynx and a Lynx-only level with a concept that would never work in MS.

The funny part is both were inspired by a different Tyler level.
My CC1 levelsets: (25, 150, 149, 149, 149, 149, 60, 149, 43, +2 = 1025 total)
25 levels.dat | Ultimate Chip.dat | Ultimate Chip 2.ccl | Ultimate Chip 3.dac | Ultimate Chip 4.zip | Ultimate Chip 5 | Ultimate Chip 6 Walls of CCLP4 i^e
IHNN-Ultimate: 147 of my best levels (through UC5), plus 2 entirely new ones. May be overhauled soon.

My CC2 levelsets: (100, ???)
IHNN1 | IHNN2

My CC score tracker. Has lots of cool automated features!
Twitch | Youtube | Twitter
A few more days to the deadline! You can still make a level!

KeyboardWielder, I first read your comment as a joke on how you often submits levels that only work in one rule set anyway, but I guess you really were asking for some more guidelines. (At least I tried to be more specific than "use the theme of summer to come up with a level" Smiley ) Sorry that I wasn't able to explain the concept better when I started the competition, and now that I am trying to do so this late in the month, I'm not sure I can hold participants responsible to fitting in with what I will say. Many levels and concepts for levels can be made to work in MS or Lynx, often even without different versions for each rule set. What I was hoping to explore in this competition, were those concepts that go beyond this area. Can you use invalid tiles in a way that the game play is not possible in Lynx? Can you find something in Lynx which can't be replicated in MS? In addition, for me the most interesting cases like this would not just highlight all the differences a designer might remember, but rather find some new interaction I haven't seen before and use that naturally in a level. And I always try to say, that the fun-factor of a level should still be the main focus, no matter what the technical details are. If nothing else, it will be interesting to see and play the submissions, don't you think?

Flareon350, I'm sorry to hear we won't get a submission from you. Maybe again next month? Wink
I still don't get it... But I'm thinking that perhaps it hinges on the word "naturally". Do you mean to say that the level should look like it could be made to work in both rulesets, but can't? Can you provide examples from existing levels, perhaps from CCLP2? Would my levels "Eraser" and "Touch and Go" be good examples of such a level or bad ones?

- Madhav.
They are good examples of 'natural' uses. You explore things like blue keys being erased by a block without making it feel awkward. Or how you can change the direction a block is sliding on a trap. You are using the features of the rules as parts of a puzzle instead of feeling like the puzzle is just remembering how the game works in the first place.

An 'artificial' example would be to require crosschecking in a place where it wouldn't seem intuitive for someone who doesn't know about how it works. Or you build an unseen mechanism that only works in MS but there could be a way to build it in Lynx too. Or you make a path of hint tiles through a swarm of monsters, allowing passage in Lynx but not MS, when gravel would work in both.

If they were submitted to this competition, Frost Rings would fare well, but After the Rainstorm wouldn't.

Hopefully that makes some sense Slight smile