January 2016 Create Competition - Palettes
Update sent. Nice to see so many submissions!
Quote:
  • Updates allowed until I judge
  • Miika and Benj should update to fix the issue
  • Judging will be streamed
  • Said judging will probably be done tomorrow
  • Great work designing everyone Thumbs up
I've already received an update from both! New version of the set uploaded, now without my edits :V

I was originally leaning towards 6 PM EST, but to be a little more accessible to the European time zones I'm now leaning more towards 3-4 PM- so starting around 7-7.5 hours from now, assuming nothing comes up. or I don't take a nap before then and end up sleeping until nighttime again.

Regardless of when I do stream the process, it'll be at http://twitch.tv/ihavenonamesda. Looking forward to playing through these ~40 new levels!

Don't worry about the timeframe either, if I could get through The Other 100 Tiles and CCLP1 in around 8 hours apiece, how long could 40 levels take me? :V (don't answer that I know the last 40 of CCLP3 took around 15 to get through but half of that time was on Madhav's levels)

edit: JUDGING COMPLETE, RANKINGS COMING IN NEXT POST

http://www.twitch.tv/ihavenonamesda/v/45252062

http://www.twitch.tv/ihavenonamesda/v/45252554

^^^There's the entire stream^^^
My CC1 levelsets: (25, 150, 149, 149, 149, 149, 60, 149, 43, +2 = 1025 total)
25 levels.dat | Ultimate Chip.dat | Ultimate Chip 2.ccl | Ultimate Chip 3.dac | Ultimate Chip 4.zip | Ultimate Chip 5 | Ultimate Chip 6 Walls of CCLP4 i^e
IHNN-Ultimate: 147 of my best levels (through UC5), plus 2 entirely new ones. May be overhauled soon.

My CC2 levelsets: (100, ???)
IHNN1 | IHNN2

My CC score tracker. Has lots of cool automated features!
Twitch | Youtube | Twitter
Final results are in!

Palette 1
1st | Flareon350 | Serene Village | 15 pts
2nd | M11k4 | Double Vision | 12 pts
3rd | Eric119 | Tankometry | 10 pts
4th | MyDisplayName | Teleport Times Eight | 8 pts
5th | ChocophileBenj | The 456977th password | 7 pts
--- | MyDisplayName | The Fun House | - pts
6th | RB3ProKeys | Four Leaf Clover | 6 pts
7th | chipster1059 | Border Patrol | 5 pts
--- | RB3ProKeys | Polarity | - pts
NULL| IHNN | Key Insight | - pts

Palette 2
1st | Flareon350 | Western Standards of Living | 15 pts
2nd | chipster1059 | Walls Without Walls | 12 pts
3rd | RB3ProKeys | Reflexion | 10 pts
4th | M11k4 | Matchbox | 8 pts
5th | Eric119 | Lucky Thirteen | 7 pts
6th | ChocophileBenj | Volcano lake | 6 pts
7th | MyDisplayName | Easy as 1, 2, 3,4 5, 6, 7 ? | 5 pts
--- | MyDisplayName | Six Rooms, Three Exits | - pts
8th | Cyberdog | Lotus on Fire | 4 pts
NULL| IHNN | Diametric Opposition | - pts
BAD | RB3ProKeys | Entropy/Extropy | - pts

Palette 3
1st | Flareon350 | Nectar Meadow | 15 pts
2nd | M11k4 | Bind Mender | 12 pts
3rd | Eric119 | A Few Travellers | 10 pts
4th | RB3ProKeys | Lateral Moraine | 8 pts
5th | ChocophileBenj | Stressful maze | 7 pts
6th | MyDisplayName | Blocks are Not Friends of Bombs | 6 pts
--- | MyDisplayName | Not As Scary As You Think | - pts
7th | chipster1059 | Patterns of Confusion | 5 pts
8th | Cyberdog | Greenland | 4 pts
--- | RB3ProKeys | A Winter's Tale | - pts
NULL| IHNN | Miasma | - pts

Palette 4
1st | chipster1059 | Shapes on the Wall | 15 pts
2nd | Flareon350 | Golden Sand Labyrinth | <span style="color:rgb(0,0,255);">12 pts
3rd | M11k4 | Zookeeper | 10 pts
4th | RB3ProKeys | Dungeon | 8 pts
5th | ChocophileBenj | Smoke on the water | 7 pts
6th | MyDisplayName | Blocks are Not Friends of Bombs | 6 pts
--- | MyDisplayName | Not As Scary As You Think | - pts
--- | RB3ProKeys | Dextrality | - pts
7th | Eric119 | Exercising Bug | 5 pts
8th | random 8 | CYCLOIDS | 4 pts
9th | Cyberdog | Ordivicia | 3 pts
NULL| IHNN | Pyrite Factory | - pts

Totaling up the best 3 from each of these, we get...

Flareon350 | 15 + 15 font='courier new', courier, monospace]+ 15 +[/font] 12 = <span style="color:rgb(0,0,255);">45 pts (a perfect score :O)
M11k4 | 12 + 8 + 12 + 10 = 34 pts
chipster1059 | 5 + 12 + 5 + 15 = 32 pts
Eric119 | 10 + 7 + 10 + 5 = <span style="color:rgb(0,0,255);">27 pts
RB3ProKeys | 6 + 10 + 8 + 8 = 26 pts
ChocophileBenj | 7 + 6 + 7 + 7 = 21 pts
MyDisplayName | 8 + 5 + 6 + 6 = 20 pts (my mom)
Cyberdog | 0 + 4 + 4 + 3 = 11 pts
random 8 | 0 + 0 + 0 + 4 = <span style="color:rgb(0,0,255);">4 pts

Which translates to, in final Chip Cup points...

1st |
Flareon350 | <span style="color:rgb(0,0,255);">15 pts
2nd | M11k4 | <span style="color:rgb(0,0,255);">12 pts
3rd | chipster1059 | <span style="color:rgb(0,0,255);">10 pts
4th | Eric119 | <span style="color:rgb(0,0,255);">8 pts
5th | RB3ProKeys | 7 pts
6th | ChocophileBenj | <span style="color:rgb(0,0,255);">6 pts
7th | MyDisplayName | <span style="color:rgb(0,0,255);">5 pts
8th | Cyberdog | <span style="color:rgb(0,0,255);">4 pts
9th | random 8 | <span style="color:rgb(0,0,255);">3 pts

Congratulations to Flareon350 on a very well deserved win!

Finally, some choice thoughts on 1 level per person, because I don't have the time nor the space to write thoughts on all 40 levels :V

Western Standards of Living: Alongside Nectar Meadow, my favorite level to come from this competition. I preferred this one just because I felt it flowed and looked better- very fun gameplay and visually stunning aesthetics. Exactly what I was hoping to see, not just working around the restrictions, but working with them.

Double Vision and Bind Mender: I know I said 1 per person but I had a question for both of these. For Double Vision, I wasn't able to beat the tank, with my best efforts coming up one move short of sneaking past it. Was this intentional, or are you able to slip past it? Likewise, I believe I busted Bind Mender by using 3 half wait+slide delay tricks to push blocks across force floors. I was unable to find a solution that would work in Lynx, though I suspect there is one. The latter of these is my 3rd favorite from the competition, by the way Tongue

Patterns of Confusion: I was only able to solve the level via the bust. What was the intended way- getting lucky with RFFs?

Exercising Bug: I'm going to be honest here, I wasn't able to solve this level. Part of that is I was dead tired when I got to it, and the other part is the level came down to coming up with an idea -> 4 minutes later, test the idea. Moving the blocks into position from all around also felt quite tedious, which was a recurring theme for palette 4 levels...

Entropy/Extropy: Mr. ProKeys, were you even able to solve this level? That goes for A Winter's Tale, Polarity and Four Leaf Clover (in MS- it worked well in Lynx. Polarity, however, was unsolvable in Lynx).

Smoke on the water: I'm pretty sure I busted this by using 5 blocks and the lower cloner to start the toggling in the first place, which gave an irregular rhythm I could turn on or off from another toggle button, remotely. I'd be very interested to see the intended solution to this one Slight smile

Where are the Chips?: Even though this comment won't be seen, the level really shouldn't have worked in MS at all and only does because of a couple design flukes. Very easy to trigger the controller/boss glitch here.

Greenland: I can see what the intended path through the level is, and it looks really annoying, with juggling blocks around through force floors in a small space to get chips otherwise unreachable, RFFs to pick up chips and especially moving the blocks out of the teeth room. However, my best time is 993 Slight smile

CYCLOIDS: Covered this in the stream a bit, but the level is way too rigid. No variation to the order you can attempt rooms, and any death while working out how one of the many rooms works means you have to do them all again.
25 levels.dat | Ultimate Chip.dat | Ultimate Chip 2.ccl | Ultimate Chip 3.dac | Ultimate Chip 4.zip | Ultimate Chip 5 | Ultimate Chip 6 Walls of CCLP4 i^e
IHNN-Ultimate: 147 of my best levels (through UC5), plus 2 entirely new ones. May be overhauled soon.

IHNN1 | IHNN2

Quote:Double Vision and
Bind Mender: I know I said 1 per person but I had a question for both of these. For Double Vision, I wasn't able to beat the tank, with my best efforts coming up one move short of sneaking past it. Was this intentional, or are you able to slip past it? Likewise, I believe I busted Bind Mender by using 3 half wait+slide delay tricks to push blocks across force floors. I was unable to find a solution that would work in Lynx, though I suspect there is one. The latter of these is my 3rd favorite from the competition, by the way
Tongue
Yes you can make it before the Tank. One of the reasons for the teleports was to slow down the tank in Lynx to compensate for the lack of boosting. The idea was you could practice the route in the first room, but I guess any best solution is obscured enough that you just end up playing the first room quickly and trying out routes in the second one, so it didn't turn out quite as I hoped. For the other one, the main solution works in Lynx as well even though I was aware of the MS trickery possible. Just push blocks only as far as you absolutely must, which I felt was a bit rigid as a solution, but not too simple to find either. Originally I planned on using a teleport instead of the force floor slide around the level, but the palette didn't allow for that, resulting in a prettier level.

Thanks again for running this thing! Flareon's levels do totally look like they deserved the win, and I can't wait to try all the others too when I find the time. Thief

-Miika
Thank you! I'm more than pleased to hear you enjoyed most of my levels Tongue honestly, I'm surprised Serene Village got first place I had a feeling it wouldn't be enjoyable.

And thank you for hosting this competition! This is probably the best one I've ever entered and crafting all those levels with restrictions was a ton of fun. Slight smile
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon
I haven't seen much of the judging. In fact, I want first to solve all the submitted levels by myself (or most of all... because I skipped a few) and I'm not done yet.
Anyway, I already want to say GG and thank you to all the contestants, it was fun.

Now, for my own levels :

Stressful Maze (pattern 3) : I don't recall having a so busted version. The original ones had blocks instead of thin walls that wouldn't let the teeth go outside at all, so no bust. But nevermind.

Smoke on the water (pattern 4) : (Spoiler on the whole level below !)

so... much... bust. Using the bottom clone machine wasn't intended to succeed the level, but the intended solution was sort of cunning too, as you didn't have to use the path of bombs. However, I don't get how you managed to get the first yellow key (which originally required you to stop the toggling that you had to start first) ; and at the end I didn't mind at all the trick with pauses. This level was supposed to go you Oorto Geld (start toogling) -> Monster Lab (stop toggling) -> Oorto geld -> Monster Lab .
Miika: I'll have to go back and work out how to solve both of those then!

Josh: Serene Village on the outside is maybe a little large (28x28 walking area instead of 30x30 might have been slightly better, but it's still fun to wander around and the force floor slide lets you explore more quickly), and the inside being a simple puzzle where looking around before grabbing anything was key added just enough variety to the collection.

Benj: For Stressful maze, honestly I found it more fun with the bust, even after going back and solving it the intended way.

The pauses didn't affect Smoke on the water, they just let me react perfectly to the toggling in order to shut it on and off at will. I was able to get the yellow key by fiddling with the toggle button- I was lucky enough to have it turn off the cloning, which let me flip the toggle walls again, and since there was enough of a delay before the toggling restarted, I could get the yellow key in time. In fact, that the level had so many alternate solutions really made it open-ended: here's a puzzle, here's some tools, figure out a way to use them. If there was only the one intended solution, the level would have been much more frustrating. I've only seen open-ended puzzles done a few times, with J.B.'s Stress Fracture being the best example I can think of.

IHNN1 | IHNN2

Congratulations Josh! Chip Win You are really a good designer.

About Patterns of Confusion: there is another solution that doesn't involve luck. After picking up a key and two boots, you have to go to the other end of the room, you can't use the block right next to the items. First you clear the dirt. You step onto the random force floors and push the block one tile. You push the block all the way to the slide that leads to the socket and take shelter on the single ice tile next to it. You push the block a little more until it is right next to the corner of the central room. You can then push it to the spot where you took the item, then you enter the central room and get back out through the force floor, blowing up the bomb in the process. Repeat with the other three rooms. I don't know if this makes sense Fail but either way, that level is my least favourite of the four I submitted.
CC is awesome!

CC2 sets (still being updated): C1059-CC2 --- Walls of CC2

CC1 sets (all complete): C1059-2 --- C1059-1 --- 1059PG01 --- C1059-Christmas --- C1059-INSANITY --- C1059-CCLP4

My Youtube channel --- Fiver's Honeycomb --- Fanfiction.net

Good posts don't cost too much, yet many go unwritten.
Quote:Congratulations Josh! Chip Win You are really a good designer.

Thanks Chipster for the kind words. Heart I really enjoyed your level from palette 4, it deserved to win that one and I also especially liked your pink ball mechanism in your level from palette 2, that was very creative! Slight smile
CC1
JoshL1 / JoshL2 / JoshL3 / JoshL4 / JoshL5 / JoshL6 / JoshL7 / WoCCLP3 / ???
JCCLP1 / JCCLP2 / JCCLP3 / JoshL0
JoshL / JCCLPRejects

Total: Too many but presumably over 1400

CC2
Flareon1 / Flareon2
FlareonRejects

Total: 75+

Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon Flareon